PDA

View Full Version : How important is it to consume carbs AFTER workout to build muscle?

MikeG49
12-20-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm aware that it is essential to eat carbs prior to workout for energy purposes, but is it important to ingest carbs post-workout in order to build muscle? Or is protein fine?

bbavender
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm aware that it is essential to eat carbs prior to workout for energy purposes, but is it important to ingest carbs post-workout in order to build muscle? Or is protein fine?

Just eat, and hit your macro totals for the day.

snorkelman
12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Way too many variables left unknown. Training fed/fasted (and if fed, what your meals were comprised of before your workout), intensity of training, training protocol, duration of training, and what type and amount of protein you would have post-workout.

Sorry, but I am not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you asking whether carbs are important/beneficial to add to the post workout protein intake?

freak111
12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
doesn't matter once again. total calorie intake matters and just reach a goal such as your bodyweight times 1.5g and carbs varies on you! i simply eat more carbs on the days I train obviously as well as take carb meals for breakfast, pre and post. that's it otherwise i don't need carbs.

find what works for you people here won't give you the best answer

snorkelman
12-20-2010, 11:07 AM
OP, I see from your duplicate thread in the supplement section that your are curious to know whether you should add a carb source to your post workout shake, right?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130137603

Doesn't change my opinion that the unknown variables I listed need to be factored in