PDA

View Full Version : So whats The Tampa Bay Rays deal?

iliveinjersey
12-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Do they have like no money, I take it since 4,000 people go to the games, but i mean they just lost two big pieces, still have solid players but no way they can compete now

melanimal_old
12-13-2010, 03:20 PM
still better than the mets

Clives_Bicep
12-13-2010, 03:21 PM

lol'd

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 03:29 PM
they're also, thankfully, trading Garza........I hate that fukker

iliveinjersey
12-13-2010, 03:31 PM

dude u could say that for almost every team hahaha i like tampa actually went to game down there a few years ago srs

tmc.
12-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Are you calling Pena a "big piece"? LOL

floppyflaps
12-13-2010, 03:35 PM
They have upcoming talent just as good as the ones they just lost. May take a year of adjusting to get back to the same level as they were last year, but they're still a playoff calibre team.

tmc.
12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
They have upcoming talent just as good as the ones they just lost. May take a year of adjusting to get back to the same level as they were last year, but they're still a playoff calibre team.

They're going to be even better this season. Serious.

milkshow11
12-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Pena wasn't a big deal, same with Soriano. They'll just fill in those spots with good prospects.

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 03:38 PM

led the team in HRs, 3rd in RBIs, 4th in SLG, all while playing GG 1B.

I wouldn't exactly call him a "small piece"

diver1990
12-13-2010, 03:39 PM

foreals that ****er hit .196 last season
LOL at the cubs for paying 10mil for that!!!

the reason we lost crawford is because we have ****ty owner who dont give a damn about winning. the attendance wasnt that bad, its been blown up big time by those bastards at espn. people forget that the stadium isnt even in tampa, its in st.petersburg. i live in the middle of tampa and it takes 1.5 hours just to get to that dump of a stadium. THATS WHY.

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Pena wasn't a big deal, same with Soriano. They'll just fill in those spots with good prospects.

Yea, I'm sure they have prospects who will hit 28 HRs and another who will have 45 saves.

......dafuk are you smoking?

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
foreals that ****er hit .196 last season
LOL at the cubs for paying 10mil for that!!!

the reason we lost crawford is because we have ****ty owner who dont give a damn about winning. the attendance wasnt that bad, its been blown up big time by those bastards at espn. people forget that the stadium isnt even in tampa, its in st.petersburg. i live in the middle of tampa and it takes 1.5 hours just to get to that dump of a stadium. THATS WHY.

Those bastards at ESPN blow it up because it's true.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

They were 24th in attendance % and most of the other teams below them were the worst in baseball

In 2009, when they went to the WS, they were 23rd in %.

So, yea...they go to the World Series, everyone knows they will be one of the top teams in baseball, and LESS people go see them play

mind = blown

diver1990
12-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Yea, I'm sure they have prospects who will hit 28 HRs and another who will have 45 saves.

you dont know **** about baseball shut your ass up, i watched nearly every rays game last season and pena is not that great, he struck out three times a game. the rays first 4 hitters were great last season you can put pretty much anyone in the 5th spot and they can produce 80+ RBI's with crawford and longo in front of them. with pena it was pretty much a 3-run homer or a strike out... mostly strike outs

tmc.
12-13-2010, 03:47 PM

who cares about 28 HRs when you strike out 400 times?

and closers are the most overrated position in baseball

diver1990
12-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Those bastards at ESPN blow it up because it's true.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

They were 24th in attendance % and most of the other teams below them were the worst in baseball

In 2009, when they went to the WS, they were 23rd in %.

So, yea...they go to the World Series, everyone knows they will be one of the top teams in baseball, and LESS people go see them play

mind = blown

read the second part of my post dumb****

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 03:55 PM
you dont know **** about baseball shut your ass up, i watched nearly every rays game last season and pena is not that great, he struck out three times a game. the rays first 4 hitters were great last season you can put pretty much anyone in the 5th spot and they can produce 80+ RBI's with crawford and longo in front of them. with pena it was pretty much a 3-run homer or a strike out mostly strike outs

He didn't strike out 3X a game. He actually struck out LESS this year than in 08 and 09. It's amazing what stats show!

If the Red Sox had their 2009 closer, and not their 2010 closer, they would've made the playoffs. Thinking closers are over rated is flat out wrong.

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 03:56 PM
read the second part of my post dumb****

The 2nd part of your post is irrevelant. You said their attendance wasn't bad. That's flat out wrong. It was one of the worst in the majors and their attendance actually DROPPED after going to the World Series.

iliveinjersey
12-13-2010, 03:57 PM

tell that to the 2006 mets

diver1990
12-13-2010, 03:59 PM
The 2nd part of your post is irrevelant. You said their attendance wasn't bad. That's flat out wrong. It was one of the worst in the majors and their attendance actually DROPPED after going to the World Series.

im not trying to dismiss the fact that the attendance was bad, im just saying its not as bad as everyone thinks it is. we were actually 22nd in attendance last year. and the location is the reason for the poor attendance, not the fans.

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 04:00 PM
tell that to the 2006 mets

People don't realize how important a closer is until they've had one and then didn't....

diver1990
12-13-2010, 04:03 PM
He didn't strike out 3X a game. He actually struck out LESS this year than in 08 and 09. It's amazing what stats show!

whoa he had 5 less than the two years before. he's always been good at striking out. HE IS NOT AN IMPACT PLAYER. LOL if you think he makes the cubs a better team.

evilsteve02
12-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Do they have like no money, I take it since 4,000 people go to the games, but i mean they just lost two big pieces, still have solid players but no way they can compete now

no money. They draft extremely well. They def benifitted from being terrible for the first 10 years they were in operation and having excellent scouts. I mean all their best players have always been first or second round picks. Pena was washed up before he got to tampa so i really don't think his thing was a big deal, they always have people to fill in for the Carl Crawfords. Basically everything revolves around Big Even. He's willing to stay there for the right price (not too outragious, but long term deals)....so if you keep the young talent and some role players around that guy, keep a good pen with drafts and pitching, they will always contend 4 out of 5 seasons. IMO.

Cleveland keeps trying that method but their scouting department has no clue. They do best trading minor peaces for low A players or guys who are being blocked in their organization.

examples:
Ben Broussard for Shin Soo Choo (best player on the team RF)
Eduardo Perez for Asdrubal Cabrara (2nd best player on the team SS)
Casey Blake for Carlos "mr smooth" Santana (will be the best hitter for year to come)
Mark DeRosa for Chris Perez (closer)

heck we even got rid of the one year wonder Kelly Shoppach for Mitch Talbot (who looked impressive most of the season)

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 04:06 PM
whoa he had 5 less than the two years before. he's always been good at striking out. HE IS NOT AN IMPACT PLAYER. LOL if you think he makes the cubs a better team.

He also played in more games.

Saying he isn't an impact player is stupid because whoever you get isn't gonna hit 28 HRs and give you GG defensive. Did he have an MVP season? No. But was he an impact player? Yes.

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
im not trying to dismiss the fact that the attendance was bad, im just saying its not as bad as everyone thinks it is. we were actually 22nd in attendance last year. and the location is the reason for the poor attendance, not the fans.

The # that matters is percentage. They were 24th our of 30th. That's very bad.

yanksbgood
12-13-2010, 04:33 PM
The # that matters is percentage. They were 24th our of 30th. That's very bad.
They were like the best team in the baseball for a good portion of the year and theyre attendance figures were near trash bag teams such as the pirates.

Nuff said.

And for those who think the rays arent going to miss pena and crawford, you're dreaming. They just lost 2 of their 3 best all around players..

They may have prospects to fill in for these guys. But they got to develop the prospects. While they do that they will go back to fighting for 3rd or 4th place for a few years.

rippedandforty
12-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm sure that Stuart Steinberg has some things up his sleeve.

Dan Johnson replaces Pena at 1B. Johnson will hit some HR's(ask NDame) but we will miss Pena's glove.

Reid Brignac will replace Bartlett at ss. I thought he was deserving of more playing time and think he has a shot at being a good major league ss.

Longoria of course at 3rd and Sean Rodriguez at 2nd. Pretty good infield if you ask me.

John Jaso behind the plate. Would like to be stronger in this position but Jaso has game if that is all we have.

BJ Upton in Center. Hopefully he starts the year off better than last year. His numbers werent all that bad the second half.

Ben Zobrist in Right as well as some at 1B.

Desmond Jennings in Left. He may not be ready. This position may be a spot to fill.

Matt Joyce - DH. This spot definately needs some help

Even if we lose Garza, the starting rotation is solid. Price, Niemann, Davis, Hellickson, Shields.

Bullpen:

Jake McGee- young but looks like he gonna be a stud
Andy Sonnanstine-can get some serious innings out of him. Long middle relief.

That's it as far as experience goes. And McGee was just called up at the end of last year.

However looking at our active roster I have noticed a few pitchers who I am going to have to do some homework on as I've never heard of them.

Alexander Torres - out of Venezuela. Did good down in minors for us. Got in Kazmir trade.
Albert Suarez - from Venezuela
Dane De La Rosa - 6'7'' 245 lbs out of Torrance California
Cesar Cabral - out of the Dominican Republic

Balfour maybe back.
JP Howell wont be back at the start of the season but is expected at some point.

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 04:43 PM
They were like the best team in the baseball for a good portion of the year and theyre attendance figures were near trash bag teams such as the pirates.

Nuff said.

And for those who think the rays arent going to miss pena and crawford, you're dreaming. They just lost 2 of their 3 best all around players..

They may have prospects to fill in for these guys. But they got to develop the prospects. While they do that they will go back to fighting for 3rd or 4th place for a few years.

They also lost one of the best closers in baseball. But.....errrrrr....according to some retard that negged me, closers are over rated

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 04:45 PM

Dan Johnson replaces Pena at 1B. Johnson will hit some HR's(ask NDame) but we will miss Pena's glove.

tempted to neg.........

rippedandforty
12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
http://rayhawkreview.com/2010/11/22/johnny-damon-interested-in-the-rays/

The Rays need a DH, everyone knows that and with the possibility of Pena leaving, Johnny Damon is now a possible name to add to the free agency rumors.

Damon is in his mid-30s now and is no longer the fast, base stealing power hitter he once was with Boston and Oakland. He still has a strong left-handed bat and could be a great DH for the Rays. Damon is looking at Atlanta as well as a possible place because he wants to be closer to his home and spring training area.

Damon hit only .271 last season with 8 home runs for Detroit and was nagged by injuries all season. He is not a real option in the outfield for the Rays. He is older now and playing on artificial turf would ruin his knees even more, add in the factor he throws like a girl will make Maddon keep him at DH.

rippedandforty
12-13-2010, 04:49 PM
tempted to neg.........

do it broseph

diver1990
12-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Reid Brignac will replace Bartlett at ss. I thought he was deserving of more playing time and think he has a shot at being a good major league ss.

Longoria of course at 3rd and Sean Rodriguez at 2nd. Pretty good infield if you ask me.

John Jaso behind the plate. Would like to be stronger in this position but Jaso has game if that is all we have.

BJ Upton in Center. Hopefully he starts the year off better than last year. His numbers werent all that bad the second half.

Ben Zobrist in Right as well as some at 1B.

Desmond Jennings in Left. He may not be ready. This position may be a spot to fill.

Matt Joyce - DH. This spot definately needs some help

Even if we lose Garza, the starting rotation is solid. Price, Niemann, Davis, Hellickson, Shields.

Bullpen:

Jake McGee- young but looks like he gonna be a stud
Andy Sonnanstine-can get some serious innings out of him. Long middle relief.

That's it as far as experience goes. And McGee was just called up at the end of last year.

However looking at our active roster I have noticed a few pitchers who I am going to have to do some homework on as I've never heard of them.

Alexander Torres - out of Venezuela. Did good down in minors for us. Got in Kazmir trade.
Albert Suarez - from Venezuela
Dane De La Rosa - 6'7'' 245 lbs out of Torrance California
Cesar Cabral - out of the Dominican Republic

Balfour maybe back.
JP Howell wont be back at the start of the season but is expected at some point.

I agree with everything you just said, the Rays will not collapse like everyone seems to be thinking, we will still have a top notch rotation even if garza is traded. I expect Jaso to step up big this year if maddumb gives him more playing time.

WheyneNewton
12-13-2010, 04:50 PM
http://rayhawkreview.com/2010/11/22/johnny-damon-interested-in-the-rays/

The Rays need a DH, everyone knows that and with the possibility of Pena leaving, Johnny Damon is now a possible name to add to the free agency rumors.

I heard the Rays were looking at Giambi to DH

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 04:51 PM
I agree with everything you just said, the Rays will not collapse like everyone seems to be thinking, we will still have a top notch rotation even if garza is traded. I expect Jaso to step up big this year if maddumb gives him more playing time.

There is no way they finish aove 3rd place.

So, they are going from 1st to 3rd (or 4th)

That's a collapse

rippedandforty
12-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I heard the Rays were looking at Giambi to DH

I heard that too. Also Gary Sheffield is being mentioned quite a bit

diver1990
12-13-2010, 04:54 PM
There is no way they finish aove 3rd place.

So, they are going from 1st to 3rd (or 4th)

That's a collapse

we have a better rotation then the yankees or red sox. if some of our young players step up we will be back where we were last year.

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 04:59 PM
I heard that too. Also Gary Sheffield is being mentioned quite a bit

Giambi.....?

Sheffield.......?

I heard Hank Aaron is also looking for a team, and Ted Williams' head is available

PitBillSoxFan
12-13-2010, 05:02 PM
we have a better rotation then the yankees or red sox. if some of our young players step up we will be back where we were last year.

If you trade Garza, you lost your 2nd best pitcher. You also lost your closer, who was one of the best in the game. Also, you lost Crawford and Pena and you don't have anyone who will replace them offensively or defensively.

In other words you may lose 4 players and come nowhere near their production.

rippedandforty
12-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Giambi.....?

Sheffield.......?

I heard Hank Aaron is also looking for a team, and Ted Williams' head is available

possibly Manny