PDA

View Full Version : Glitch in computer ratings changes BCS standings

HYDRAE
12-07-2010, 01:02 PM
This system makes me LOL so hard. A game between Appalachian State and Western Illinois somehow decides whether LSU is better than Boise State. LMAO.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-bcsstandingsmistake

The final Bowl Championship Series standings had to be corrected after a mistake was found that changed the rankings of Boise State and LSU, but did not affect any bowl matchups.

Jerry Palm, who runs the websites www.collegebcs.com and wwww.collegerpi.com, found a discrepancy in the Colley Matrix computer ratings, one of six used by the Bowl Championship Series to determine which teams play for the national championship and in some of the other marquee bowl games.

Wesley Colley says Palm, who verifies the Colley Matrix ratings, noticed the results of an FCS playoff game involving Appalachian State and Western Illinois had not been included in the data based used to generate the ratings.

In the revised standings, Boise State moves from 11th to 10th and LSU drops from 10th to 11th.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock said in a statement that he was “deeply disturbed” when he learned of the mistake.

“This error should not have happened and is unacceptable. The final standings have been corrected. Fortunately, it had no effect on any team’s eligibility for the BCS games. But the simple fact that it could have means this issue will be near the top of the agenda for the conference commissioners’ annual review next spring,” Hancock said.

Colley also said that his rankings for Nebraska and Alabama were affected by the missing score, but BCS ratings for those teams were unchanged.

ryan36_1
12-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I've always wondered what would happen if teams were very close at selection time and one of the teams played Army or Navy. Would be especially embarrassing if this was to decide #2 and #3 teams.

BCS selection show @ 8PM. brb can't decide who deserves a shot a the MNC until next week.

Ox1991
12-07-2010, 01:08 PM
That's how it works brah...

It factors in strength of opponents and somehow that playoff game changed how good of teams those two teams were throwing everything off.

HYDRAE
12-07-2010, 01:10 PM
That's how it works brah...

It factors in strength of opponents and somehow that playoff game changed how good of teams those two teams were throwing everything off.

I understand SOS is a component of the BCS computer calculations, but this just highlights the absurdity of it all.

Ox1991
12-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I understand SOS is a component of the BCS computer calculations, but this just highlights the absurdity of it all.

SOS is not absurd at all...

HYDRAE
12-07-2010, 01:16 PM

no you

ryan36_1
12-07-2010, 01:16 PM

You don't find it absurd at all that the result of a FCS game is the deciding factor of the rankings? If it changed the rankings of team #2 and #3, you're ok with that?

JTrain306
12-07-2010, 01:22 PM
You don't find it absurd at all that the result of a FCS game is the deciding factor of the rankings? If it changed the rankings of team #2 and #3, you're ok with that?
It depends which teams are affected. If it dropped Wiscy in the rankings he would be pissed and start 3 threads about it.

Ox1991
12-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Yes. Its just as important as any other game that is factored into the system.

Erik2806
12-07-2010, 01:32 PM
lol @ boise state being considered better than lsu

ryan36_1
12-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Yes. Its just as important as any other game that is factored into the system.

I agree. The point is that the 'system' is pretty absurd if the outcome of a FCS game affects the rankings of teams that played the opponents almost 3 months ago.

HYDRAE
12-07-2010, 01:43 PM
I agree. The point is that the 'system' is pretty absurd if the outcome of a FCS game affects the rankings of teams that played the opponents almost 3 months ago.

ding ding. we are talking about whether a team finishes in the top 10 based on the outcome of a FCS game that neither team played in. its a joke.

Mac_xX
12-07-2010, 01:46 PM
lol lsu would bend boise over faster than a sorority girl

ryan36_1
12-07-2010, 01:48 PM
lol lsu would bend boise over faster than a sorority girl

Clearly. But had W. Ill won, then we are talking a whole new ball game.

skippy
12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
This just exemplifies the absurdity that is the BCS.

We let judges and 6 computer ranking systems decide for us which two teams will get to play in a two team playoff, and then the coaches all agree that the team that wins that game will get their vote for #1.

Just step back and think about that.

HYDRAE
12-07-2010, 02:24 PM
This just exemplifies the absurdity that is the BCS.

We let judges and 6 computer ranking systems decide for us which two teams will get to play in a two team playoff, and then the coaches all agree that the team that wins that game will get their vote for #1.

Just step back and think about that.

I always knew it was retarded, but this is butterfly effect type stuff. I always assumed the margin between ranking spots was at least a little more substantial and one FCS game. WTF.