PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck vs. Ryan Mallet

kethnaab
12-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Why is Luck considered an absolute lock to go before Mallett in the draft? I think they both look like excellent NFL prospects, just wondering why it seems that Luck gets all the love and Mallett isn't getting nearly as much. SEC damn sure is tougher to play in

Ching0n
12-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Because Luck is a better QB and conference doesn't mean a damn.

sellihca
12-06-2010, 10:46 PM
because luck is not a wigger

kethnaab
12-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Because Luck is a better QB and conference doesn't mean a damn.

ok, what is it about Luck that is better?

Budly69
12-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Because thanks to Jamarcus Russell people automatically assume that if a college QB can throw the ball a mile he wont have NFL caliber accuracy. Ryan Mallet is going to be a great NFL QB. Incredibly intelligent.

That being said I think Luck will also be a good NFL QB. I would choose Mallet first if given the option. A lot of it is going to come down to who Kiper and McShay have the biggest hard on for, those two clowns f*ck up a couple picks for teams every year with their bullsh*t.

Fastforward7
12-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Why is Luck considered an absolute lock to go before Mallet in the draft? I think they both look like excellent NFL prospects, just wondering why it seems that Luck gets all the love and Mallet isn't getting nearly as much. SEC damn sure is tougher to play in

It is? I suggest you go look at Masoli's stats from the last two years. Seriously, go look. I'll wait.

Clives_Bicep
12-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I'll take either one on the titans after the draft.

kethnaab
12-06-2010, 10:59 PM
It is? I suggest you go look at Masoli's stats from the last two years. Seriously, go look. I'll wait.

not a huge college fan, no clue WTF you're asking me to do.

BeanieWells
12-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Because thanks to Jamarcus Russell people automatically assume that if a college QB can throw the ball a mile he wont have NFL caliber accuracy. Ryan Mallet is going to be a great NFL QB. Incredibly intelligent.

That being said I think Luck will also be a good NFL QB. I would choose Mallet first if given the option. A lot of it is going to come down to who Kiper and McShay have the biggest hard on for, those two clowns f*ck up a couple picks for teams every year with their bullsh*t.

Are you implying that Mallet is accurate? People don't think he's accurate because he really isn't not that because he has a strong arm.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/052009/1243271414_black_guy_laughing.gif

Fastforward7
12-06-2010, 11:10 PM
not a huge college fan, no clue WTF you're asking me to do.

Last year Jeremiah Masoli (former Oregon QB) played in the Pac 10 where defense is supposedly a dirty word, played in an offense tailored to him that he knew, and had tons of offensive weapons. This year he played in the super defensive SEC for Ole Miss, an SEC bottom feeder devoid of offensive weapons that runs an entirely different offense which doesn't suit him.

His stats for last year and this year are nearly identical. He had 1 less TD, his comp % dropped 1.6%, and his YPA dropped by .15. Here is a guy who played his first year in a new system on an SEC bottom feeder after leaving a Ferrari offense and his numbers are almost the same. He had 7 more picks this year but that's the only major statistical deviation. If the SEC is so much tougher to play in for a QB please explain this.

jacketfan
12-06-2010, 11:15 PM
He had 7 more picks this year but that's the only major statistical deviation. If the SEC is so much tougher to play in for a QB please explain this.

so basically he played alot worse.

joedirt87
12-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Because Mallet is going to be the next Matt Jones. More arrests than career touchdowns.

STA1011
12-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Last year Jeremiah Masoli (former Oregon QB) played in the Pac 10 where defense is supposedly a dirty word, played in an offense tailored to him that he knew, and had tons of offensive weapons. This year he played in the super defensive SEC for Ole Miss, an SEC bottom feeder devoid of offensive weapons that runs an entirely different offense which doesn't suit him.

His stats for last year and this year are nearly identical. He had 1 less TD, his comp % dropped 1.6%, and his YPA dropped by .15. Here is a guy who played his first year in a new system on an SEC bottom feeder after leaving a Ferrari offense and his numbers are almost the same. He had 7 more picks this year but that's the only major statistical deviation. If the SEC is so much tougher to play in for a QB please explain this.

you just answered ur own question ...

Fastforward7
so basically he played alot worse.

121 QB rating vs. 129 QB rating is a lot worse? Ok.

IawI
Why is Luck considered an absolute lock to go before Mallet in the draft? I think they both look like excellent NFL prospects, just wondering why it seems that Luck gets all the love and Mallet isn't getting nearly as much. SEC damn sure is tougher to play in

Rothlisberger played in the mid-american Conference. Flacco played in the Middle Atlantic conference. You find football players where you find football players.

kyleTX
12-06-2010, 11:19 PM
because luck is not a wigger

this

batman15
12-06-2010, 11:21 PM
ITT: haters.

Dumb haters.

Oh and it's 2 T's.

jacketfan
12-06-2010, 11:26 PM
121 QB rating vs. 129 QB rating is a lot worse? Ok.

he threw one less TD and over TWO TIMES as many INT's. ya thats alot worse.

batman15
12-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Lol @ haters.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u165/batman15ix/3be23425.jpg

Fastforward7
12-06-2010, 11:28 PM
he threw one less TD and over TWO TIMES as many INT's. ya thats alot worse.

Which I'm sure has nothing to do with being in an entirely new offense with far less to work with. All SEC defense right there.

kethnaab
12-06-2010, 11:28 PM

ok, so in the PAC-10, over 2 seasons, he threw 28 TDs, 11 picks.
In the SEC, he threw 14 TDs, 13 picks.

28/11 seems to be a bit better than 14/13

and don't talk to me about passer rating. Collegiate passer rating is so frickin' ridiculous.

I also notice that he averaged 11-12 rushing TDs and 5.6 YPC in the PAC10, and he dropped to 6 rushing TDs and 4.5 YPC

so his 3 seasons went like this:

PAC-10 sophmore - 23 TDs rushing/passing, 5 picks
PAC-10 junior - 28 TDs rushing/pasing, 6 picks
SEC senior - 20 TDs rushing/passing, 13 picks

maybe it's just me, but I thought QBs should get better as they get older? Dude played substantially better as a sophmore in the PAC10 than as a senior in the SEC.

so yeah, obviously I'm missing the point here.

Fastforward7
12-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Lol @ haters.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u165/batman15ix/3be23425.jpg

Lol @ wiggers.

http://www.ozarksunbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/snoop_dog_mallet.jpg

Dude can't wait to get to the NFL so he can finally afford some new gold teeth. Actually... they're pretty gold already. Has the toothbrush not been introduced in Arkansas yet?

batman15
12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Dude, would you rather have all the "tools" like rivers or be a leader and winner and a game changer like big ben.

Exactly.

People hate on ryan because he's from "tk" (Texarkana) and because he's got so much confidence. So what, he wears flat bills and listens to boosie. He's a damn hard worker and he's a damn smart QB. He's thrown for 60 touchdowns in 2 years. He's 22-6 as a starter and just led an SEC "bottom feeder" to their first ever BCS game.

Haters gonna hate.

batman15
12-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Lol @ wiggers.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u165/batman15ix/b5d00e11.jpg

Dude can't wait to get to the NFL so he can finally afford some new gold teeth. Actually... they're pretty gold already. Has the toothbrush not been introduced in Arkansas yet?

Fixed.

He dips. A lot.

kethnaab
12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
he wears flat bills and listens to boosie.

damn I'm old. I don't even know what that means.

batman15
12-06-2010, 11:36 PM
damn I'm old. I don't even know what that means.

Flat bill=hat.
Boosie=rapper in jail for 4 years.

Fastforward7
12-06-2010, 11:39 PM
ok, so in the PAC-10, over 2 seasons, he threw 28 TDs, 11 picks.
In the SEC, he threw 14 TDs, 13 picks.

28/11 seems to be a bit better than 14/13

and don't talk to me about passer rating. Collegiate passer rating is so frickin' ridiculous.

I also notice that he averaged 11-12 rushing TDs and 5.6 YPC in the PAC10, and he dropped to 6 rushing TDs and 4.5 YPC

so his 3 seasons went like this:

PAC-10 sophmore - 23 TDs rushing/passing, 5 picks
PAC-10 junior - 28 TDs rushing/pasing, 6 picks
SEC senior - 20 TDs rushing/passing, 13 picks

maybe it's just me, but I thought QBs should get better as they get older? Dude played substantially better as a sophmore in the PAC10 than as a senior in the SEC.

so yeah, obviously I'm missing the point here.

So we're just ignoring the fact that he moved to an entirely new system on a new and less talented team a couple months before the start of the season? We're also ignoring the fact that the receivers and RB's around a QB are a large part of their success? Gotcha. Proceed.

pro11skj
12-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Why isnt Mallett in the talk for a Heisman?...

batman15
12-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Why isnt Mallett in the talk for a Heisman?...

His int's were too high this year. We needed to beat auburn or Alabama for him to be in the running.

kethnaab
12-06-2010, 11:41 PM
So we're just ignoring the fact that he moved to an entirely new system on a new and less talented team a couple months before the start of the season? We're also ignoring the fact that the receivers and RB's around a QB are a large part of their success? Gotcha. Proceed.

and you're ignoring the fact that he threw more picks in 1 season as a senior in the SEC than in 2 seasons as a sophmore and junior in the PAC-10

gotcha.

proceed.

pro11skj
12-06-2010, 11:43 PM
His int's were too high this year. We needed to beat auburn or Alabama for him to be in the running.

Is that maybe a downfall for the guy?...

SwagMorris
12-06-2010, 11:44 PM
With the first pick in the NFL draft, I want Luck. Mallett is to gangsta for us. After Ray Caruth, we can't deal with anymore of these thugs.

batman15
12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Is that maybe a downfall for the guy?...

If losing one of the best offensive coordinators in the country counts, then yes. That's a downfall.

With the first pick in the NFL draft, I want Luck. Mallett is to gangsta for us. After Ray Caruth, we can't deal with anymore of these thugs.

Surely you jest.

pro11skj
12-06-2010, 11:48 PM
If losing one of the best offensive coordinators in the country counts, then yes. That's a downfall.

Surely you jest.

last time i checked it was the QB throwing the ball, not the Offensive Coordinator.

No hate on the guy, I think hes going to be a solid pro, along with Luck. Im just looking at both of them to see what kind of downfalls they have.

Fastforward7
12-06-2010, 11:56 PM
and you're ignoring the fact that he threw more picks in 1 season as a senior in the SEC than in 2 seasons as a sophmore and junior in the PAC-10

gotcha.

proceed.

I tried to think of an example of a QB who faced a change of system and loss of talent. The only one I could come up with was Zach Collaros from Cinci. Dude looked like an absolute stud last year. He was 10-2 last year as a replacement for Pike. This year without Kelly and Gilyard... 26-14. Oh, and his comp % dropped over 16%. I thought QB's were supposed to get better as they got older?

batman15
12-06-2010, 11:56 PM
last time i checked it was the QB throwing the ball, not the Offensive Coordinator.

No hate on the guy, I think hes going to be a solid pro, along with Luck. Im just looking at both of them to see what kind of downfalls they have.

Last time I checked, when your qb coach leaves, the qb usually doesn't get better.

But you know everything and that's why you're an NFL scout.

pro11skj
12-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Last time I checked, when your qb coach leaves, the qb usually doesn't get better.

But you know everything and that's why you're an NFL scout.

He must not be able to handle adversity, something my peers and I look for in a Qb coming from college.

TheDude1987
12-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm no expert on either QB, but my feeling is that people feel:

Luck = Matt Ryan
Mallett could end up like Stafford, Russel, or Carson Palmer. With Carson Palmer being both the up side and down side.

Luck is from Stanford. He's percieved as the studious hard worker who has what it takes (mentally and physically) to lead a pro offense.

Mallett is a huge arm who may or may not be able to lead a pro offense.

Those are just my perceptions. Can't say either way as I haven't watched either enough.

Tdog1
12-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Are you implying that Mallet is accurate? People don't think he's accurate because he really isn't not that because he has a strong arm.

You are saying anything right now stop.