PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Ravens players fined for hits on Steelers

Ruger357
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
"Haloti Ngata of the Baltimore Ravens was fined $15,000 for an illegal hit that broke the nose of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, and teammate Jameel McClain received a $40,000 fine from the National Football League."

And no, I don't think either hit was dirty, but I thought the title would draw some attention. It's FCKING FOOTBALL!!!! Last night was one of the best football games I've seen this year. Both defenses looked incredible. But the NFL doesn't want great defenses. They want high scoring shootouts. Just like the Harrison fines were BS, these were too.

Be_Easy_25
12-06-2010, 07:02 PM
inb4 steelers fans blow gas over each not being 100k

charity4thepoor
12-06-2010, 07:03 PM
that hit on heath miller was turrible wtf ru talking bout

Ruger357
12-06-2010, 07:10 PM
that hit on heath miller was turrible wtf ru talking bout

It was a hard hit, but it's football and that **** happens. The league is getting to the point where the defense is going to be scared to make a hit. Yeah, the Miller hit was tough, and in slow motion it looks like a purposeful helmet to helmet. But out on the field it's not in slow motion. Defense puts the head down, offense puts the head down, and bam, $50,000 fine for helmet to helmet.

namean
12-06-2010, 07:25 PM
"Haloti Ngata of the Baltimore Ravens was fined $15,000 for an illegal hit that broke the nose of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, and teammate Jameel McClain received a $40,000 fine from the National Football League."

And no, I don't think either hit was dirty, but I thought the title would draw some attention. It's FCKING FOOTBALL!!!! Last night was one of the best football games I've seen this year. Both defenses looked incredible. But the NFL doesn't want great defenses. They want high scoring shootouts. Just like the Harrison fines were BS, these were too.

lmao if you got hit like Heath Miller, youd be crying and your career would be over with. Yeah, youd be crying for a flag.

jujuB
12-06-2010, 07:35 PM
first off, what gives the justification to hit a person, when they are already at angle where everyone knows you will be on the ground, when you still have a distance to run before you get to him.

this is almost like that one hit on the college player who became paralyzed from the neck down. he's lucky as **** his spine isn't broken. all that mass probably saved him.

in b4 it's football

Baker19
12-06-2010, 08:02 PM
As a Ravens fan I can easily say that hit on Heath Miller from McClain was dirty even though Miller was coming down and McClain was already committed to the hit, but the Ngata hit was perfectly fine.

Ruger357
12-06-2010, 08:12 PM
The new NFL rules disagrees with you. A hit to the head is dirty. Like I said I disagree with the fines. And I can't help but notice the only players protected are qb's and wr's. What about lineman? There damage comes from cumulative hits. Why isn't the NFL doing something about that? And if you don't think it's an issue read up about centers like Jim Otto and mike Webster. Where do you draw the line without destroying the sport?

TNetz
12-06-2010, 08:27 PM
I think the fines are BS regardless of who's on the recieving end. Goodouche is attempting to change the face of football and we're all going to feel it in one way or another. As a Steeler fan, I obviously didn't like the hit on Miller or the hand in Ben's face but why the fine? There should have been a penalty on the Miller hit and maybe even one on the Ben hit. Penalties are what dictate the game, not the stupid fines.

thegenerel
12-06-2010, 08:29 PM
the Ngata hit was unintentional, but 15 yards have been assessed for a whole lot less. If the NFL doesnt want QBs being touched from the neck up, call it every time.

I understand the concern to protect players getting hit in the head. Its sad to see guys that played 30-40 years ago turn into vegetables.

JMath
12-06-2010, 08:32 PM
The Haloti Ngata one should definitely not have been a fine. The other one is questionable, and I'd have to see a replay or two before I can really give my opinion. These ridiculous fines need at least be consistent. If you lead with your helmet it should be X amount of dollars, if you have a defensless receiver hit Y amount of dollars. They shouldn't base the fine off of how bad the guy taking the hit looked after the hit. Of course, they could always do away with fining every player that makes contact with an offensive player too, but that isn't going to happen, so some kind of consistency would be nice.

TNetz
12-06-2010, 08:39 PM
I understand the concern to protect players getting hit in the head. Its sad to see guys that played 30-40 years ago turn into vegetables.

Without a doubt. It's just like anything else when it comes to officiating I guess, there is no consistancy.

I just hate seeing guys get fined for making a play when it takes a split second for each player to go in low and result in a helmet to helmet. It's why they where helmets in the first place. Granted, headhunting should be strictly regulated but somebody is making a pretty penny off of these nonsequencial plays that are inevitable in the game of football.

Mickles
12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
as a ravens fan both being fined is understandable even though ngata didn't intentionally try to break his nose lol

now as for mcclain, being fined makes complete sense, that hit was vicious

x ShAnE x
12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
lmao if you got hit like Heath Miller, youd be crying and your career would be over with. Yeah, youd be crying for a flag.

Probably not because he'd be an NFL player and would need to stfu if he was crying over that.
Both guys put their head down. Whats the first thing you teach a player when they're taking or giving a hit?? KEEP YOUR HEAD UP.
Thats the problem with the NFL now. 2-3 seasons ago a QB wasnt looking for a flag every time he got hit when he let the ball go. Receivers werent jumping up after every play that the CB brushed against him. Now they are. Man the **** up and make plays on your own and stop looking for the flags to help you out. This is honestly pussy play and i'm not for it. I coach a little league team that lays more wood than some nfl defenses and that is reality.

Oh and where was Goodell when guys were knocking the **** out of each other in leather head gear? GTFO. Rugby and Lacrosse are gonna be mainlier sports than football if they keep this **** up (its already close enough).

JMath
12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
as a ravens fan both being fined is understandable even though ngata didn't intentionally try to break his nose lol

now as for mcclain, being fined makes complete sense, that hit was vicious

The problem I have with it is that if Ben's nose hadn't broken, if Ngata just hit him in the face, same exact hit, same everything but Ben didn't break his nose, there would have been no fine. The fine is strictly because of the image of Ben with a crooked ass nose snorting out blood. It's basically becoming a "if someone gets injured, someone must have done something that deserves a fine" league.

TNetz
12-06-2010, 08:49 PM
The problem I have with it is that if Ben's nose hadn't broken, if Ngata just hit him in the face, same exact hit, same everything but Ben didn't break his nose, there would have been no fine. The fine is strictly because of the image of Ben with a crooked ass nose snorting out blood. It's basically becoming a "if someone gets injured, someone must have done something that deserves a fine" league.

Very true.

Edit: Hockey is the same way though :D

Budly69
12-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Ive been one of Goodells biggest critics on these boards for the fines he's been handing out but the hit on Heath Miller is one of the most fine worthy hits I can recall. It was unnecessary as the play would have ended whether he clocked him or not. It was a very dangerous hit as well, if Miller had gotten his neck broke nobody would care if there was a fine and hits like that have been known to break necks.

The Ngata fine-garbage.

JMath
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Very true.

Edit: Hockey is the same way though :D

It's true.

Pens/Wings rubber match in the finals?? I hope so (as long as the Wings win)

TNetz
12-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Ive been one of Goodells biggest critics on these boards for the fines he's been handing out but the hit on Heath Miller is one of the most fine worthy hits I can recall. It was unnecessary as the play would have ended whether he clocked him or not. It was a very dangerous hit as well, if Miller had gotten his neck broke nobody would care if there was a fine and hits like that have been known to break necks.

The Ngata fine-garbage.

I don't know.... I guess I'm questioning fines in general so I'll just keep quiet. I agree that with the system the way it is, the Miller hit was obviously worthy.

It's true.

Pens/Wings rubber match in the finals?? I hope so (as long as the Wings win)

Nah, I don't see the Pens making it that far this year. Maybe next year ;)

Pern
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
That hit on Heath Miller would have been called 10 years ago.

squirrell751
12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
is this real? nfl really going to fine a guy for accidently having his hand in the space of the face mask for less than a second? these phaggots really have never played a sport in their life

canuckathlete
12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
OHFCNfT8k0k

That was one of the worst hits I have ever seen, I have no idea how his neck didn't snap and how he managed to walk off the field. This is probably the best example of an illegal hit that we have seen all year, and it definatly deserved a fine.

The Ngata hit should have been called a penalty with out a doubt because it is in the rule book, but there is no way you should be fining players for shiit like that.

HumptyBrah
12-06-2010, 09:14 PM
in b4 kethnaab

kethnaab
12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
is this real? nfl really going to fine a guy for accidently having his hand in the space of the face mask for less than a second? these phaggots really have never played a sport in their life

actually it was a whap across the schnoz.

stupid that it is a fine, but that's the NFL nowadays.

in b4 kethnaab

in after humpty

squirrell751
12-06-2010, 09:46 PM
actually it was a whap across the schnoz.

stupid that it is a fine, but that's the NFL nowadays.

in after humpty

watch this in real life speed. no way that was intentional or planned he was trying to swipe at the ball not to mention the guy is practically a tree. nfl has gone down the tube. wow this league is getting filled with pussies

b7oIjUCETZI

kethnaab
12-06-2010, 09:48 PM
as I said, "stupid that it is a fine, but that's the NFL nowadays."

squirrell751
12-06-2010, 09:50 PM
as I said, "stupid that it is a fine, but that's the NFL nowadays."

i know. im not trying to argue im agreeing with you

Been2HellnBack
12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
It seems like the quarterbacks are getting more and more protection from the league every season now. Its getting pretty ridiculous, you can't even lay a hit on one without the fear of getting fined or a big penalty that could change a game. Its making football go down hill.
Ravens are my favorite team and it seems like they get penalized the most for these hits because they like to play a game called Football not pussyball

ziggy88
12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
It seems like the quarterbacks are getting more and more protection from the league every season now. Its getting pretty ridiculous, you can't even lay a hit on one without the fear of getting fined or a big penalty that could change a game. Its making football go down hill.
Ravens are my favorite team and it seems like they get penalized the most for these hits because they like to play a game called Football not pussyball

any team w/ a good hard hitting defense is getting fined and penalized like no tomorrow...if anyone is an example of that its pittsburgh...they've been fined, threatened suspensions and everything else. Just coincidence that the ravens are getting it against the team that usually gets penalized by it. I do agree w/ you on the protection from the league tho...let these guys play ball.

ryan36_1
12-07-2010, 05:18 AM
McClain hit would/should have been a fine even before all this current year BS.

Ngata play should not have been a fine in any way, shape or form. It should have been a flag based on the way that they have called that the last few seasons. But even that is stupid IMO. If you crack a guy QB in the head and there looks to be intent, then go ahead and flag it, but I've seen way too many games where the momentum changed because a DEs pinky finger brushed against the QBs helmet and a flag was thrown.

And whoever said that the fine was because of the blood is right. See the Brett Farve hit where his chin was cut for further example.

TheRejuvenated
12-07-2010, 05:25 AM
I don't even know how Ngata's hand got into the mask it was a quick smack lol...

but the McClain one was definitely bad, wow. He should get a 1 game suspension and at least 50k IMO

Ruger357
12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
One last thing. Here is an interesting article on lineman, which appear to be more at risk than anyone.

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1272819515/Around-the-NFL-Collisions-take-their-toll-on-linemen

So what will the NFL do to protect them? I know they are trying like hell not to pay a ****load of lawsuits. It's easy to see the damage from hits to QB's, WR's, and RB's. But lineman take hits every play. Not the big ones, but a lot of little ones.

evilsteve02
12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
hey..... in the words of the people who have defend guys who do helmet to helmet hits on a consistant basis..... "football is a contact sport"

Tony_S
12-07-2010, 03:40 PM
how did hise nose break through the cage?

Ruger357
12-07-2010, 04:03 PM
hey..... in the words of the people who have defend guys who do helmet to helmet hits on a consistant basis..... "football is a contact sport"

And that is what I pretty much said in the thread. Football is a contact sport. Like it or not people will get hurt. I understand wanting to protect players. The question is where do you draw the line? If lineman are at a greater risk, how far is the NFL willing to go to protect them?

Ruger357
12-07-2010, 04:06 PM
how did hise nose break through the cage?

Hand went right above the cage. Which is right where the nose is.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-FqjRnDFVZ54HGAUogZZzeziyLimQdV5htRTI5Q0jBE7yItOTZA

Blasphemy
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
OHFCNfT8k0k

That was one of the worst hits I have ever seen, I have no idea how his neck didn't snap and how he managed to walk off the field.

this.... i was shocked he walked off like NOTHING happened. what a f*ckin BEAST.