PDA

View Full Version : i dont know much about jon gruden, someone explain to me all the hype. srs.

magicmatt
12-05-2010, 10:35 PM
title.

he won a ring his first year with the bucs right? then did nothing with them for how many years?

N.W.A
12-05-2010, 10:36 PM
John Gruden is not a great coach he is overrated. I dont really know what the hype is about either.

magicmatt
12-05-2010, 10:36 PM
seems like another lane kiffen. hasnt paid many dues except for the one ring

melanimal_old
12-05-2010, 10:37 PM
made the raiders a legit contender...

ArchangelDante
he acts like a smartass in the corona bus

ESPforMe
He's sexy as fukk (no homo)

Future24
He's a wizard.

NewYorkMets
12-05-2010, 10:39 PM
that team was already a legit contender but just couldn't get over the hill before gruden arrived. gruden did help turn the raiders around and look at them since he's been gone, sure they went to the super bowl after he left but since that super bowl the raiders have done very little. gruden is considered an ' offensive mastermind '.

Wu-Massacre
12-05-2010, 10:40 PM
he yells and curses a lot when he is coaching so it makes it seem like he know what he is doing that is all he does and that why espn makes it seem like he is amazing

BeanieWells
12-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Best QB he "developed" in 6 years was Chris Simms. Brb building a team full of 40 year olds and sending the Bucs to the Abyss.

WheyneNewton
12-05-2010, 10:41 PM
He talks to players like teenagers to motivate them

melanimal_old
12-05-2010, 10:42 PM
how could a player not want to play for Jon Gruden

Hoop_Dreams
12-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Best QB he "developed" in 6 years was Chris Simms. Brb building a team full of 40 year olds and sending the Bucs to the Abyss.

The fukk are you talking about.

He turned Rich Gannon, a career journeyman, into the NFL's Most Valuable player.

NewYorkMets
12-05-2010, 10:46 PM

He turned Rich Gannon, a career journeyman, into the NFL's Most Valuable player.

this. was about to reply to beanie too lol. who the fuk was gannon before he played in gruden's west coast offense ? i hope gruden doesn't go to dallas. gruden with those weapons dallas has, would be scarey for dallas opponents.

SpiderSense
12-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Don't know much about Jon Gruden
Don't know much about Tampa 2

But I do know that google works
And I'm sure if you used it too
What a wonderful world this would be.

Hoop_Dreams
12-05-2010, 10:48 PM
this. was about to reply to beanie too lol. who the fuk was gannon before he played in gruden's west coast offense ? i hope gruden doesn't go to dallas. gruden with those weapons dallas has, would be scarey for dallas opponents.
Great minds think alike.

I've been calling for Gruden to Dallas for a while now. Romo could be scary good under his tutelage. But with the way they're playing under Garrett now I don't see it happening.

LiftHeavy85
12-05-2010, 10:51 PM
He built the raider team that went to the superbowl the year after he left, oddly enough he took over an already good tampa team that was built by Tony after he left.

I like him because he doesnt pamper to people and gets in QB's asses if they make a mistake. Unlike Wade "too soft" Phillips who never held anyone accountable

Masstastic
12-05-2010, 10:52 PM
He talks to players like teenagers to motivate them

This.

Bucs players pleaded to ownership to fire him 2 years ago because they got tired of his ****.

Gruden likes the NFL money, but he needs to be in the college ranks where his way of motivating works.

Hoop_Dreams
12-05-2010, 10:56 PM
This.

Bucs players pleaded to ownership to fire him 2 years ago because they got tired of his ****.

Gruden likes the NFL money, but he needs to be in the college ranks where his way of motivating works.

http://media2.tbo.com/mediamanager/2009/feb/06/4486_020609ring.panel-385x255.jpg

That style of coaching was pretty successful for this guy too:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_fMHlhwtkL04/R2x3Bcbaa-I/AAAAAAAAAHg/5BoNaKQ4Ajg/s400/bill+parcells.jpg

LiftHeavy85
12-05-2010, 10:59 PM
This.

so your saying nfl players are soft?

brb we just wanna chill

brb bill cowher yells at me that must mean its bad coaching
brb jimmy johnson dont know ****

Masstastic
12-05-2010, 11:11 PM
http://media2.tbo.com/mediamanager/2009/feb/06/4486_020609ring.panel-385x255.jpg

That style of coaching was pretty successful for this guy too:

http://bp1.blogger.com/_fMHlhwtkL04/R2x3Bcbaa-I/AAAAAAAAAHg/5BoNaKQ4Ajg/s400/bill+parcells.jpg

so your saying nfl players are soft?

brb we just wanna chill

brb bill cowher yells at me that must mean its bad coaching
brb jimmy johnson dont know ****

Im just saying after awhile the team gets tired of it.

Cowher had control over his roster just like Parcells did, so obviously they drafted/signed players that fit with their coaching style.

Gruden drafted a lot of busts in Tampa Bay, and others who couldn't handle his coaching. He liked veterans, because veterans aren't going to nut up like a lot of young players do when they first face that type of coaching.

But what Gruden got fired for was because he hired Raheem Morris on his staff, arguably the 2nd most charismatic/likeable coach you will see in college football or the NFL behind only Pete Carroll. You cant have that big of a contrast personality-wise on your staff. All of the Bucs players got behind Morris and forced Gruden out.

Cowher hired assistants who were as tough as him, so did Parcells.

BeanieWells
12-05-2010, 11:15 PM

Lettuce be cereal, he caught lightning in a bottle with Gannon. Gannon was an accurate and smart 12 year vet who was tailor made for the WCO that had two HOF caliber WRs to throw to. How many young QBs did he develop into good players? As many as I have. ZERO!

leafs43
12-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Gruden is a great coach but suffered from poor personnel decisions in Tampa.

He collected QBs in Tampa because every one he brought in just didn't fit his WCO system.

He had an aging defense that Tampa kept throwing big money at which stifled the offense's ability to get play makers at skill positions.

MenTaLPiRacY
12-06-2010, 12:14 AM
title.

he won a ring his first year with the bucs right? then did nothing with them for how many years?

he is a disciplinarian.. with the talent the cowboys have and his discipline and knowledge they could do pretty good. The exact opposite of wade Phillips.

Lasers1
12-06-2010, 12:48 AM
He knows what play the Eagles will run before they run it/10

Aware?

magicmatt
12-06-2010, 07:52 AM
thanks dudes. my most successful thread ever

Onita
12-06-2010, 07:57 AM

Thanks Mr. Cooke!

batman15
12-06-2010, 08:07 AM

Oh dang.

Somebody likes the oldies.

floppyflaps
12-06-2010, 08:43 AM
He turned the Raiders around, and he got the Bucs a ring. Sure he was bad to mediocre for the next 6 years, but a lot of it is due to him getting Bruce Allen his sycophant in as GM.

They got rid of Warren Sapp and John Lynch, who both had a few years left in them. They picked up crappy old players like Charlie Garner and gave them a way overpriced contract. Then had to deal with being over the cap for a few years, and Gruden costed them 2 first rounders, and Keyshawn costed 2 first rounders, so the Bucs had a big lack of talent for a while. They were pretty awful at drafting when they did get out of cap hell. He actually did pretty well for the kind of talent the Bucs had. In 2007 and 2008 the Bucs were 9-7, which isn't great, but more than half the players on those teams aren't even in the league anymore. A lot of them are playing in the UFL.

The thing about Gruden is that he's the kind of exciting, hard working coach who can come in to an underachieving team and automatically make them contenders. He's had time to reflect on his big coaching mistakes in the past, and he's had time to study the game more in depth. I really do think he'll be the first coach to win a Superbowl with 2 different teams. If they keep the GM duties far away from him, he'll have a good long term team.

Acevedo85
12-06-2010, 08:56 AM
how could a player not want to play for Jon Gruden

this

I met the guy (when he was with the Raiders) and he's a standup guy..on the sidelines however lol

fballer12
12-06-2010, 09:06 AM
As a bucs fan, I always loved Jon Gruden. He was a big personality, and put the small market bucs on the map. However, when he was finally fired, I agreed that it was time for the team to go a different direction. Part of the reason he had to sign a bunch of veteran free agents is because Rich McKay got them in cap hell. Not to mention they gave up like 4 firsts and a few 2nd rounders in trades for gruden and keyshawn, that didn't allow them to draft very well for a while. Eventually though, his lack of drafting a franchise qb got tiring, and after the bucs were 9-3, but than had a late season collapse and finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs, he had to be fired. That collapse was more likely monte kiffins fault, for saying that he was leaving the bucs before the season ended. However, shaking things up seemed to be the best idea.

Despite all of this, Jon Gruden is a great guy, and a competitor. He's classy when in public, yet he says some really funny, yet not for TV stuff when on the sidelines or in practice. On Monday Night Football he's great. Always well prepared and knowledgable, a great speaker, a quick thinker, and it's always fun to hear his opinions on things. I really wish the bucs end up getting a monday night game next year before he goes back to coaching, because I'd love to hear some of the stuff he'd say. He'd probably crack some jokes about himself not being able to get it done, or always wanting so many quarterbacks, which is what makes him such a likeable guy

good gruden montage for those who've never heard him in practice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNP1EquL9M0

leafs43
12-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Another crack about Gruden:

He only sleeps 4-5 hours a night. He uses that extra 2-3 hours in the office.

fballer12
12-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Another crack about Gruden:

He only sleeps 4-5 hours a night. He uses that extra 2-3 hours in the office.

Yup...after all these years, I'm surprised it hasn't taken more of a toll on him....he claims he's just a morning person.

One thing people can't dispute about gruden is that he's passionate about what he does.

OCguy999
12-06-2010, 03:20 PM
thanks dudes. my most successful thread ever

lol...everythingwentbetterthanexpected