PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays trade Shaun Marcum to the Brewers

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
for prospects

Seems like Jays are getting prospects so they could flip them for a big name.

Nice deal for the Brewers, they need SP. Marcum did pretty darn good in the AL East, should be great in the NL Central.

DB791
12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Sucks for the Jays

NewYorkMets
12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
jays could be preparing themselves for grienke.

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Sucks for the Jays

We will have to wait and see. It looks like the Jays are trading him in order to get prospects. And then they will flip these prospects + more prospects for a big name.

-=Zeus=-!
12-05-2010, 06:25 PM
How old is he? Brewer GM's are notorious for getting over the hill pitching...

frankbink5
12-05-2010, 06:27 PM

28, still has 2 more arb years left

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 06:29 PM

You'll enjoy Marcum.

He has pinpoint laser control, a great change. His fastball is pretty bad though, but he makes up with his great control.

Hes a leader too.

EDIT: great change not curve

-=Zeus=-!
12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
You guys picked up Charlie V, and Gamel? Couldnt find the trade page.

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 06:37 PM
You guys picked up Charlie V, and Gamel? Couldnt find the trade page.

Charlie V was a separate trade.

Some are reporting that we are getting back Lawrie. Others are reporting its for pitching prospects. Guess we have to wait and see.

Greg1983
12-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Charlie V plays for the Pistons, people.

brb_ballin
12-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Marcum was a cool guy to have and played well against Yankees and Sox so it would of been nice for Jays to have him... interesting to see what they do but they better not do nothing

SteezeFactory
12-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Marcum is a damn good pitcher, great acquisition for the Brew Crew.

TexasHeat
12-05-2010, 06:54 PM
stupid trade for the Jays.

getting more prospects to trade for Greinke which they won't get.

This is the Cliff Lee trade all over again, and if the Rangers want Greinke bad enough, they will get him as they can top any offer from any other team.

Blue Jays just traded a nice pitcher, shame on them.

Greg1983
12-05-2010, 06:59 PM

This is the Cliff Lee trade all over again, and if the Rangers want Greinke bad enough, they will get him as they can top any offer from any other team.

How the hell are you going to call the trade stupid when you don't even know who we're getting for him?

PitBillSoxFan
12-05-2010, 07:07 PM

I think Greinke has a limited NTC where he has 10 teams or so blocked, and I'd assume he's put a crappy Canadian team designated to 4th place in the AL East to be on it.

Also, trading a player for prospects expecting to flip them.....eh

And were the players on the 40 man roster? You might be prohibited to trading them before like June or something without their approval (or in general).

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 07:08 PM
I think Greinke has a limited NTC where he has 10 teams or so blocked, and I'd assume he's put a crappy Canadian team designated to 4th place in the AL East to be on it.

Also, trading a player for prospects expecting to flip them.....eh

And were the players on the 40 man roster? You might be prohibited to trading them before like June or something without their approval (or in general).

ITT: a Gay Sox fan ****ting his pants at the thought of the Jays getting Greinke

TexasHeat
12-05-2010, 07:10 PM
How the hell are you going to call the trade stupid when you don't even know who we're getting for him?

Well, they are trading a nice pitcher with the ideas of getting Greinke, and like I said, the Royals are waiting on the Rangers because they are the best fit prospect wise.

Rangers are waiting on Cliff Lee. If the Rangers fail to sign Cliff Lee, then they will most likely end up with Greinke.

The Blue Jays should have only done this deal when they knew for a fact they were landing Greinke.

PitBillSoxFan
12-05-2010, 07:11 PM
ITT: a Gay Sox fan ****ting his pants at the thought of the Jays getting Greinke

lol @ you thinking the Red Sox care what the guaranteed 4th place team in the East does.

I'm more concerned with playoff teams like the Twins and Rangers staying good. Don't give a sh!t about what the Jays do.

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Well, they are trading a nice pitcher with the ideas of getting Greinke, and like I said, the Royals are waiting on the Rangers because they are the best fit prospect wise.

Rangers are waiting on Cliff Lee. If the Rangers fail to sign Cliff Lee, then they will most likely end up with Greinke.

The Blue Jays should have only done this deal when they knew for a fact they were landing Greinke.

How do you know that they dont?

Greg1983
12-05-2010, 07:12 PM

1. If the value of the prospects outweighs the value of Marcum, who with his repertoire, probably just had his career year, then it's a good trade whether or not we get Greinke.

2. You don't know that it's not already a fact we're getting Greinke.

Greg1983
12-05-2010, 07:13 PM
lol @ you thinking the Red Sox care what the guaranteed 4th place team in the East does.

I'm more concerned with playoff teams like the Twins and Rangers staying good. Don't give a sh!t about what the Jays do.

I'll put 100 bucks on the Jays finishing above 4th place this year.

TexasHeat
12-05-2010, 07:14 PM
How do you know that they dont?

Because the Royals aren't gonna deal Greinke until they get the Rangers in this process full swing. Right now the Rangers have everything on hold until Cliff Lee makes up his mind.

If Lee leaves, the Rangers will have to up their current offers to the Royals...

So it would be pretty stupid for the Royals to already have a done deal with anyone.

PitBillSoxFan
12-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Cot's says Greinke "may block deals to 20 clubs in 2009, 2010"

I don't know if it's still considered 2010 since the season is over, or if they go by calender year.

That being said if there's only 10 teams he can be traded to without approval, I'd venture a guess he would put Toronto on the no trade list.

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Because the Royals aren't gonna deal Greinke until they get the Rangers in this process full swing. Right now the Rangers have everything on hold until Cliff Lee makes up his mind.

If Lee leaves, the Rangers will have to up their current offers to the Royals...

So it would be pretty stupid for the Royals to already have a done deal with anyone.

Damn, did not know you were the Royals GM.

brb the whole MLB does trades on the Rangers terms

GTFO

TexasHeat
12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Cot's says Greinke "may block deals to 20 clubs in 2009, 2010"

I don't know if it's still considered 2010 since the season is over, or if they go by calender year.

That being said if there's only 10 teams he can be traded to without approval, I'd venture a guess he would put Toronto on the no trade list.

I heard it was 15 teams and I know the Rangers are not on that list.

TexasHeat
12-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Damn, did not know you were the Royals GM.

brb the whole MLB does trades on the Rangers terms

GTFO

It's just common sense, you don't pull off a trade of this calibre without having everyones best offer, really simple to understand.

And the Rangers can top any offer the Jays throw out there and the Royals know this, but Texas isn't right now.

If you want Greinke as a Blue Jay fan, you better hope Texas retains Cliff Lee.

DeeBO-
12-05-2010, 07:21 PM
damn, Marcum was solid. doesnt really make sense to trade him outright for prospects. hopefully something bigger and better develops from this trade.

PitBillSoxFan
12-05-2010, 07:21 PM
and BTW, the Blue Jays are on the no trade list according to this:

The Kansas City Royals are bad, Cliff Lee is the only ace-level starter on the market, and Zack Greinke is locked up to an affordable contract for another two years. Not surprisingly, the Zack Greinke trade rumors have been flowing fast and furious already this offseason.

One complication is that built into Greinke's contract with the Royals is a limited no-trade clause. According to Ken Rosenthal, the Blue Jays - who are interested in Greinke - are on the list, while the Rangers - who are also interested in Greinke - are not. That would seem to make a deal with Texas more likely than a deal with Toronto.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2010/12/5/1857216/zack-greinke-no-trade-clause-blue-jays-royals

I'm gonna guess for Greinke to agree to spend 2 miserable years in Toronto, after spending a career in KC, the Blue Gays will have to give him a healthy extension.....

NewYorkMets
12-05-2010, 07:52 PM
what are the jays getting in return ? just lawrie ?

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 07:55 PM
what are the jays getting in return ? just lawrie ?

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Tom Haudricourt, second baseman Brett Lawrie, who is generally considered Milwaukee's best prospect, is the player the Brewers are sending to the Blue Jays in exchange for Shaun Marcum.

Our View: Not yet 21 years old, Lawrie hit .285 with a .346 on-base percentage in 609 plate appearances for Double-A Huntsville last season, posting eight home runs, 63 RBI and 30 stolen bases in the process. His acquisition should somewhat offset the sting of Toronto unexpectedly dealing its best pitcher.

PitBillSoxFan
12-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Blue Jays to Greinke: will you waive your NTC?
Greinke to Blue Jays: Sure!! 5/100 should do it
Blue Jays: bertstare

JamesGatz83
12-05-2010, 07:59 PM
I'll put 100 bucks on the Jays finishing above 4th place this year.

Third place?

Sorry, Greg, but the Jays aren't winning anything of meaning anytime soon in the AL East.

Aran
12-05-2010, 08:02 PM
this seems pretty risky. if they don't get greinke than they dun goofed.

TexasHeat
12-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Also, just because he's the Brewers best prospect doesn't mean sh!t.

John Sickels rated him as a "C" player.

Nothing special.

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Also, just because he's the Brewers best prospect doesn't mean sh!t.

John Sickels rated him as a "C" player.

Nothing special.

Sickels rated him as a B+ you ****ing idiot

PitBillSoxFan
12-05-2010, 08:05 PM
this seems pretty risky. if they don't get greinke than they dun goofed.

I can't imagine they were banking on getting Greinke. He has a NTC to Toronto.....

Aran
12-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I can't imagine they were banking on getting Greinke. He has a NTC to Toronto.....

well than it looks like i dun goofed. still risky though.

TexasHeat
12-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Sickels rated him as a B+ you ****ing idiot

u mad lol

I read wrong, apparently the other player they got was rated a "C".

Anyways, pretty stupid to trade your 2nd best pitcher for a 2nd baseman when yo already have Aaron Hill.

Greg1983
12-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Third place?

Sorry, Greg, but the Jays aren't winning anything of meaning anytime soon in the AL East.

3rd next year. Playoffs in 2012. Playoffs next year would need an ass load of luck, but it's possible.

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 08:13 PM
u mad lol

**** you and your sorry ass blue jays.

I knew the education you Texas hicks get is bad but damn... didn't know you couldn't tell the difference between a "C" and a "B+"

Aran
12-05-2010, 08:14 PM
I knew the education you Texas hicks get is bad but damn... didn't know you couldn't tell the difference between a "C" and a "B+"

that explains why he sent me a pm asking if he could suck my Bock.

PitBillSoxFan
12-05-2010, 08:14 PM
3rd next year. Playoffs in 2012. Playoffs next year would need an ass load of luck, but it's possible.

I didn't realize MLB expanded the playoffs to the top 8 teams?

TexasHeat
12-05-2010, 08:15 PM

u are just mad you aren't getting greinke if texas fails to sign lee, so that means the blue jays just goof'd like Aran said.

Greg1983
12-05-2010, 08:15 PM

You joke to mask your fear.

Greg1983
12-05-2010, 08:17 PM
u are just mad you aren't getting greinke if texas fails to sign lee, so that means the blue jays just goof'd like Aran said.

What's the worst that happens if we don't get Greinke? We lose a guy who's fastball tops out at 90, is coming off a major surgery, probably just had his career year, and is projected to be our #5 starter in the near future? For a package centered around the Brewers' best prospect? I'll take it.

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 08:18 PM

Yeah we goofed for trading a 88mph fastball guy, who has a freak delivery and who struggled vs the Red Sox/Yankees and Rays last year for one of the best prospects in baseball :rolleyes:

Also you realize that we are stacked with starting pitchers?

PitBillSoxFan
12-05-2010, 08:19 PM
You joke to mask your fear.

I'm terrified the Blue Jays are creeping up to 9 games back instead of their other 11+.

I'd RATHER the Blue Jays get Greinke than the Rangers. The Rangers are more of a threat to the Red Sox than the Gays. We could face the Greinke twice in the playoffs if he's on the Rangers.

The Blue Jays are still irrelevant. If they get Greinke, they are potentially less irrelevant. But, still irrelevant.

TexasHeat
12-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah we goofed for trading a 88mph fastball guy, who has a freak delivery and who struggled vs the Red Sox/Yankees and Rays last year for one of the best prospects in baseball :rolleyes:

You can never have enough pitching.

Aran
12-05-2010, 08:20 PM

didn't you just say "Marcum did pretty darn good in the AL East,"

TexasHeat
12-05-2010, 08:21 PM

he's no longer on the jays so he has stopped sucking his cock

89FoxBody
12-05-2010, 08:21 PM

FWIW, they are actually considering adding 2 more wildcards.

KingCanuck
12-05-2010, 08:22 PM

Marcum 2010 vs Yankees/Red Sox/Rays

Yankees - 1 start allowed 5 runs in 6 innings
Red Sox - 1-3 in 5 starts with 5.34 ERA
Rays - 0-2 in 4 starts with 5.55 ERA

Greg1983
12-05-2010, 08:24 PM
You can never have enough pitching.

There's no such thing as too stacked anywhere. What's your point?

Greg1983
12-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm terrified the Blue Jays are creeping up to 9 games back instead of their other 11+.

I'd RATHER the Blue Jays get Greinke than the Rangers. The Rangers are more of a threat to the Red Sox than the Gays. We could face the Greinke twice in the playoffs if he's on the Rangers.

The Blue Jays are still irrelevant. If they get Greinke, they are potentially less irrelevant. But, still irrelevant.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Aran
12-05-2010, 08:26 PM
There's no such thing as too stacked anywhere.

i disagree
http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/attachments/general-discussion-tea-room/6297d1233979598-worlds-largest-breasts-00031797.jpg