PDA

View Full Version : If i want to be a GROWER!

coward1982
12-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi,

I didnt know what else to put this under so here goes.....

I weigh 78kg and have been advised by fellow GYM buddies that if i want to grow i should be eating double my weight in protein? Is this correct? Also i dont want to put too much fat on either so am trying to keep carbs to a minimum/luxury but crave bad carbs frequently is keeping carbs low correct if not what should be the level amount in order to grow but not grow far?

Thanks

Chris

WonderPug
12-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Protein intake should be at minimum 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass.

To bulk, you should shoot for a caloric surplus in the range of 500 calories above maintenance (which is the level of caloric intake where weight is neither lost nor gained).

Fat intake should be at least 0.4 to 0.5 grams per pound of bodyweight.

The rest of your calories can come from any combination of macronutrients, unless you select a specialized diet like keto where carbs are tightly limited.

I suggest you read the stickies on this forum to start getting an idea about nutrition.

bbavender
12-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Protein intake should be at minimum 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass.

To bulk, you should shoot for a caloric surplus in the range of 500 calories above maintenance (which is the level of caloric intake where weight is neither lost nor gained).

Fat intake should be at least 0.4 to 0.5 grams per pound of bodyweight.

The rest of your calories can come from any combination of macronutrients, unless you select a specialized diet like keto where carbs are tightly limited.

I suggest you read the stickies on this forum to start getting an idea about nutrition.

Why does it seem that you are answering the same question 42,000,000 times in one day the same exact way?

WonderPug
12-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Why does it seem that you are answering the same question 42,000,000 times in one day the same exact way?

Perhaps because I am :(

bbavender
12-05-2010, 12:35 PM

I wish they would use the "search" feature lol

WonderPug
12-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I wish they would use the "search" feature lol

I half expect there to be a ton of threads asking how to use the search function to find diets that are helpful during a bulk...

Oh, and how do I cook oats? What do I add to tuna to make it taste good. Are eggs ok to eat?

bbavender
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
I half expect there to be a ton of threads asking how to use the search function to find diets that are helpful during a bulk...

Oh, and how do I cook oats? What do I add to tuna to make it taste good. Are eggs ok to eat?

Can I eat 4 eggs instead of 3? Because I enjoy them very much.

FFAZARI
12-05-2010, 12:41 PM

LOL, yea what he said, its pretty straight forward.

WonderPug
12-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Can I eat 4 eggs instead of 3? Because I enjoy them very much.

That depends. Are you eating the shells and the carton the eggs came in?

bbavender
12-05-2010, 12:48 PM
That depends. Are you eating the shells and the carton the eggs came in?

Only when I crave styrofoam because its been determined its a good source of protein.

BookMonkey
12-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Only when I crave styrofoam because its been determined its a good source of protein.

I get the kind that comes in cardboard. Less damage on the environment and fiber is the best.

bbavender
12-05-2010, 12:53 PM
I get the kind that comes in cardboard. Less damage on the environment and fiber is the best.

Gotta be green when you grow :D

WonderPug
12-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Gotta be green when you grow :D

If you want to grow like Lou Ferrigno...

ANIM0SITY
12-05-2010, 01:44 PM
i use the search feature all day until my eyes are tired of reading.
then i get lazy and post my questions at the end of the day

belairdfence99
12-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Don't cut carbs.

Get about 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight so about 175g for you. Go to thedailyplate.com and find out how many calories you need to maintain your weight.
Then, add 500-750 to that number. This will allow you to gain a little more than 1 pound a week.

So if you need, say, 2800 calories. You'll have 2100 calories left to use for carbs/fat.
You need carbs for energy levels and there is no reason to limit them especially when you are trying to gain weight and meet your caloric requirements.

matthew3881
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
wtf is a grower?