PDA

View Full Version : tuna diet

therench
12-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Is it healthy to get all my protien from nothin but tuna
I eat 6 1/2 cans of tuna every day for my protien 75calories and 7.5from fat per serving

elfie7x
12-03-2010, 10:27 PM
No that's way too much tuna. You're putting yourself at risk for mercury poisoning. Don't eat more than 1-2 cans a day (ideally not every day) and try to diversify your protein sources.

XxEN0xX
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Just thinking of that much tuna a day is making me sick... I know it's a cheap source of protein but chicken is relatively cheap. For beef get some lean ground beef. And porkloin is awesome too!

dustinh6719
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Good luck with that. I don't think I could handle that much tuna in a month.

nathan183
12-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Is it healthy to get all my protien from nothin but tuna
I eat 6 1/2 cans of tuna every day for my protien 75calories and 7.5from fat per serving

Of course that's not healthy. Too much of pretty much anything is not good. Eat a variety of foods.

ANIM0SITY
12-03-2010, 11:34 PM
i finally tried tuna and mustard and loved it.
now i dont get sick of having tuna as fast

zstanton
12-03-2010, 11:43 PM
i finally tried tuna and mustard and loved it.
now i dont get sick of having tuna as fast

and you sir just got repped

DustinPatton
12-04-2010, 12:11 AM
as everyone else has stated...way to much tuna....try and mix it up with some steaks, chicken, etc..

Watcher
12-04-2010, 12:59 AM
damn bro...6 cans everyday?

just switch it with some salmon,sardines,chicken etc

Also eat red meat bro. So much more stuff in there than just protein.

AlwaysTryin
12-04-2010, 01:14 AM
I don't see any issue

it's 6 small tiny tins which aren't even full of all tuna (the weight listed)

during my cut I ate 1-2 455g (57g x 5 servings per can) of tuna

no issues ever

snorkelman
12-04-2010, 07:26 AM
I don't see any issue

it's 6 small tiny tins which aren't even full of all tuna (the weight listed)

during my cut I ate 1-2 455g (57g x 5 servings per can) of tuna

no issues ever

sarcasm or ignorance?

Methylmercury (MeHg) is very toxic, and impacts the human nervous system when ingested. See, Quantitative approach for incorporating methylmercury risks and omega-3 fatty acid benefits in developing species-specific fish consumption advice. Ginsberg GL, et al. Environ Health Perspect. 2009 Feb;117(2):267-75. Full text at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649230/pdf/EHP-117-267.pdf

Here is a table from that study which analyzed the neurodevelopmental risks of methylmercury (MeHg) of eating tuna. See, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649230/table/t3-ehp-117-267/

As you can see from that analysis, it is recommended to limit your intake of canned light tuna to 12 ounces per week from a mercury standpoint, but canned WHITE tuna should be limited to 6 ounces per week. Here is an excerpt from the authors addressing this issue:

"For the cardiovascular risk group, unlimited consumption appears to be appropriate for nine species, and potentially several more. However, we downgraded canned white tuna, halibut, sea bass, and lobster to two meals per month because of concerns for neurologic effects. There is no MeHg RfD relevant for the general population, but a number of states have used a 3-fold higher target dose (0.3 μg/kg/day) given the likely differences in sensitivity for neurologic effects between early life and adults; this target dose is the same as the IRIS RfD for inorganic mercury salts. Thus, we placed species in the twice weekly category to keep MeHg exposure below the target dose for the general public to prevent neurologic effects. Tuna steak was placed in the once weekly category to limit the risk . . . which is very small at once per week. We estimated sword-fish and shark to have a substantial net risk, even at one meal per month; thus, they are in the ‘do not eat’ category." (internal citations omitted)

This comes from the following 2009 study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649230/?tool=pubmed

A helpful free tool to look at is the NRDC mercury calculator available at: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/calculator/start.asp You just enter the types and quantities of fish you ate during the past week and the calculator will estimate your average daily mercury dose and it will tell you whether you are consuming a safe or unsafe amount of that type of fish.

WrestlingFan123
12-04-2010, 07:59 AM
If your a normal healthy adult Tuna has a chemical inside that actually prevents mercury poisoning

t1ger
12-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Sounds damn boring..

snorkelman
12-04-2010, 08:31 AM
If your a normal healthy adult Tuna has a chemical inside that actually prevents mercury poisoning

Are you referring to selenium? Are you aware that very little information is available on the preventive effects of selenium in humans? I agree that people have hypothesized that selenium protects humans against toxic effects of mercury, but these have been based off in vitro studies and animal-experiments. At the current time, it is still a leap to assume that the same applies to humans.