PDA

View Full Version : ahh i'm really confused with carbs

Ghetz
11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
i don't understand what a low GI carb is or a high GI carb and when one is best consumed? e.g. morning, pre or post workout

any help would be greatly appreciated. peace bros

Kage3212
11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Eat them, lift harder, sleep, grow. Unless you are stepping up on stage soon, the differences are insignificant.

ian0789
11-30-2010, 05:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Go to the food index to get a better idea of them =)

lee__d
11-30-2010, 05:16 PM
GI doesnt matter for the vast majority since it's only applicable when the carbs are consumed in a fasted state (and i think by themselves).

lee__d
11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
http://www.alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html

bbavender
11-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Simple carbs will just leave you hungrier in the long term, eat what fits for you and what you like or you will never stick to your diet.

Ghetz
11-30-2010, 05:31 PM
okay guys thanks alot for replies, so are low gi, simple cabrs? and high gi, complex carbs?

PowerChica
11-30-2010, 05:46 PM
okay guys thanks alot for replies, so are low gi, simple cabrs? and high gi, complex carbs?

You've got it backwards. Low GI carbs are complex carbs and are digested/released into the blood stream slowly. High GI are simple and released more rapidly.

mynameisuntz
11-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Just make sure you hit your macros, and forget about GI. Seriously.

JValjean724
11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
okay guys thanks alot for replies, so are low gi, simple carbs? and high gi, complex carbs?

jeez no need to insult their intelligence

mynameisuntz
11-30-2010, 06:07 PM
jeez no need to insult their intelligence

Have you ever heard of a smart ice cream cone? I think not, sir. I think not.

AlwaysTryin
11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Simple carbs will just leave you hungrier in the long term, eat what fits for you and what you like or you will never stick to your diet.

exactly this.

OP stop over thinking things

JoeyGirl
11-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Have you ever heard of a smart ice cream cone? I think not, sir. I think not.

Actually, ice cream is lower on the GI than pretzels.

JoeyGirl
11-30-2010, 07:24 PM
i don't understand what a low GI carb is or a high GI carb and when one is best consumed? e.g. morning, pre or post workout

any help would be greatly appreciated. peace bros

The glycemic index is relevant if you are diabetic, especially. Also, bodybuilders focus on eating clean, complex carbs to keep blood sugar levels stable. No crashing, steady energy - particularly pre workout.

If you want to understand this in depth, and from a bodybuilder's perspective, I encourage you to read The Lifestyle Cut Diet by Scivation. There is a link where you can download the pdf file for free on this website. (Sorry, I can't post the link here, I have less than 30 posts under my belt.) This is excellent reading and research, too. Complete with a 12-week training plan. Just search for the title in the articles section.

Clubber
11-30-2010, 07:26 PM
interesting article on the GI and insulin index

http://www.healthyeatingclub.org/info/articles/diseases/glycaemic-index.htm

MikeK46
11-30-2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html

^^^

alan aragon
11-30-2010, 07:30 PM
GI doesn't matter unless you're a sedentary diabetic who's clueless enough to eat a hypercaloric, high-carb, low-protein diet. Geez, people.

paulgnc24
11-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Just eat somthing that will maintain your blood glucose level. Mostly low gi carbs will do the trick.

Low blood sugar=hunger=carb craving=more fat

alan aragon
11-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Just eat somthing that will maintain your blood glucose level. Mostly low gi carbs will do the trick.

Low blood sugar=hunger=carb craving=more fatThis is spoken as if people eat gargantuan carb-only meals. Not only that, but your logic is wrong.

*sigh*

Tommy W.
11-30-2010, 08:18 PM
The glycemic index is relevant if you are diabetic, .

This^^^^^^^^^^^

MikeK46
11-30-2010, 08:47 PM
But then the question becomes, barring hereditary factors and assuming daily exercise, how do we minimize the chances of diabetes through diet?

alan aragon
11-30-2010, 08:58 PM
But then the question becomes, barring hereditary factors and assuming daily exercise, how do we minimize the chances of diabetes through diet?
By keeping an eye on body composition and macronutrient targets. And of course, the other typical stuff that constitutes a healthy diet, ie, predominating your intake with mostly unprocessed and minimally processed foods (this is obviously a generalization since there ARE healthy processed foods). GI & GL are extremely far-fetched in terms of their utility once other less-trivial factors are in line.

paulgnc24
12-01-2010, 06:12 AM
This is spoken as if people eat gargantuan carb-only meals. Not only that, but your logic is wrong.

*sigh*

i always thought that low blood sugar results to hunger. i guess thats not true since you said so. your alan aragorn, everything you say is true. and i will kiss your ass for that.

WonderPug
12-01-2010, 06:34 AM
i always thought that low blood sugar results to hunger.

Are you trying to say "results in" or "results from" hunger?

If you're trying to say "results in", then it depends. Severe hypoglycemia eventually lead to glucose deprivation of the central nervous system, resulting in hunger (as well as diaphoresis, paresthesia, impaired mental function, seizures, coma and even death).

paulgnc24
12-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Are you trying to say "results in" or "results from" hunger?

If you're trying to say "results in", then it depends. Severe hypoglycemia eventually lead to glucose deprivation of the central nervous system, resulting in hunger (as well as diaphoresis, paresthesia, impaired mental function, seizures, coma and even death).

yeah, so what i know is low blood glucose levels signals the hypothalmus to release specific hormones for hunger cravings. so that's why eating frequently or eating carbs that will maintain blood sugar levels is important for weight management.

this is at least what i know. i'm not saying it's 100% correct. and it might not be true for everyone.

WonderPug
12-01-2010, 06:52 AM
so that's why eating frequently or eating carbs that will maintain blood sugar levels is important for weight management.

Sans disease, blood sugar will remain relatively stable even if, gasp, you don't eat for several hours. And you don't even have to eat any carbs whatsoever to maintain stable blood sugar.

paulgnc24
12-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Sans disease, blood sugar will remain relatively stable even if, gasp, you don't eat for several hours. And you don't even have to eat any carbs whatsoever to maintain stable blood sugar.

i find your response very disturbing.. but ok bro what ever you say.
i just wanted to speak my mind don't want it resulting to an argument.
i find that everyone in this forums just wants to out smart and prove everyone wrong. and really shuv it in someone's face. it's all about the reps.. i guess i'm getting negative reps again from this post but i don't care, i log in to this forum to learn and to share what i have learned. i know aragon nutritional preachings are new and logically bending and i agree with his teachings to some extent.

WonderPug
12-01-2010, 07:29 AM
i find your response very disturbing..

Why do you say this?

In a healthy individual, the body maintains blood glucose levels at a reference range between about 3.6 and 5.8 mM (mmol/L, i.e., millimoles/liter) (64.8 and 104.4 mg/dL).

The human body naturally regulates blood glucose levels in this tight range as a part of metabolic homeostasis.

Can you cite a single med school text book or peer reviewed journal article that calls into question this assertion?

i find that everyone in this forums just wants to out smart and prove everyone wrong.

No, but if you say something that is categorically incorrect, you may well be called to task for the statement.