PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking my bulk

andrewtclarkson
11-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey guys, new handle here after being out of the gym a few years.

I'm 6'4, 188 (up already from 178) and looking to get up to about 225.

I am currently eating 4000 cals +/- a day (tracked everyday)

I eat a nearly paleo/primal diet, nothing overly processed, absolutely no junk food, don't drink pop, don't eat bread hardly ever (gf can't eat wheat, so we don't keep much around) no cookies, sweets etc.

We do eat piles of meat (any and all animals), eggs, milk, pb, etc, as many fruits and veg as we can, quinoa, rice now and then, oats, anything 'whole' we can.

Been doing starting strength for 3 weeks now. Seeing lots of lifting gains. I have put on 10lbs already, and expect to continue at 2-3/week for a while. That being said, I have a pretty insane metabolism, could always eat near anything, have to work out to gain.

I've noticed (as expected) I am gaining some fat. Hence, why rethinking bulk to a leaner bulk. The fat doesn't do anything for me, and I'm going to have to cut later anyhow. Gaining for 25 weeks then spending a month cutting to get to 225 vs slower gaining of solid muscle mass with no real cut ... it's the same in the end right?

How can I better structure my diet to gain lean mass and not add so much fat? I'm not asking for a super cut looking bulk, just want to keep things in check.

OR is this all silly thinking and I need to just shut up and eat?

Thanks for reading and for replies.

bbavender
11-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Sounds like your consuming too much. If you have already put on 10 pounds in 3 weeks your eating way too much. You should shoot for 500 calories over maintenance or anything in excess of that is just going to get stored as fat. Just cause your bulking, doesnt give you the excuse to eat anything and everything. Play with your calorie intake and shoot for .5/1lb a week.

andrewtclarkson
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Maint- 2039/day

x1.55 for work out 3 times/week (Starting Strength) Otherwise desk job, and 1 hour of Yoga on Wed nights (no homo)

or should I be

3160 cals> to maintain

3660 to gain 1lb/week

Do I have it correct?

bbavender
11-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Im roughly starting at the same point you are Im 6'4" and starting bulking 5 weeks ago weighing in at 175. I consume 3200 cals 40%c/30%p/30%f and have gained a pound a week and seen the lifts increase. I havent gained much if any fat thus far since I take measurements at my weekly weigh in. You may want to play with your calorie intake and see how you respond. 10lbs in 3 weeks is a great deal of weight although some is naturally water weight. How much water do you drink a day? But yeah, if you feel like your putting too much fat on scale back the calories but if it doesnt bother you, you can continue and make your cut that much more difficult. Cheers!

wood78221
11-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Hey guys, new handle here after being out of the gym a few years.

I'm 6'4, 188 (up already from 178) and looking to get up to about 225.

I am currently eating 4000 cals +/- a day (tracked everyday)

I eat a nearly paleo/primal diet, nothing overly processed, absolutely no junk food, don't drink pop, don't eat bread hardly ever (gf can't eat wheat, so we don't keep much around) no cookies, sweets etc.

We do eat piles of meat (any and all animals), eggs, milk, pb, etc, as many fruits and veg as we can, quinoa, rice now and then, oats, anything 'whole' we can.

Been doing starting strength for 3 weeks now. Seeing lots of lifting gains. I have put on 10lbs already, and expect to continue at 2-3/week for a while. That being said, I have a pretty insane metabolism, could always eat near anything, have to work out to gain.

I've noticed (as expected) I am gaining some fat. Hence, why rethinking bulk to a leaner bulk. The fat doesn't do anything for me, and I'm going to have to cut later anyhow. Gaining for 25 weeks then spending a month cutting to get to 225 vs slower gaining of solid muscle mass with no real cut ... it's the same in the end right?

How can I better structure my diet to gain lean mass and not add so much fat? I'm not asking for a super cut looking bulk, just want to keep things in check.

OR is this all silly thinking and I need to just shut up and eat?

Thanks for reading and for replies.

I think that gaining that much in that amount of time isnt good. Obviously as you said, you are seeing fat gain. You are basically looking to do a clean bulk.

I would find maintenance calories, then add 300-500 calories over that, and work your way up. I always use a mirror instead of a scale, if you like the way you continue to look...stay with that diet plan.

Your going to have to find what works for you.

AlwaysTryin
11-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Maint- 2039/day

x1.55 for work out 3 times/week (Starting Strength) Otherwise desk job, and 1 hour of Yoga on Wed nights (no homo)

or should I be

3160 cals> to maintain

3660 to gain 1lb/week

Do I have it correct?

1lb a week = 52lbs a year = lots of fat gain

Only a n00b would see decent muscle in that.

Why the rush? go for 0.5lb a week if that

lightsarefallin
11-30-2010, 07:13 PM
If you're an endo you're gonna want to watch carbohydrate intake as well. I was like you, gained 10 pounds the first week, gained a bunch of fat and now I'm following a new diet. I'm eating 300 cals over maintenance, and limiting my starchy carbs to mornings and post workout only.

jamie0486
11-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Could the OP also continue to eat around 500 above maintenance but add a little bit of cardio, maybe 3 sessions a week, to minimise fat gain while maintaining steady muscle gain?

Or would this fail?

bbavender
11-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Could the OP also continue to eat around 500 above maintenance but add a little bit of cardio, maybe 3 sessions a week, to minimise fat gain while maintaining steady muscle gain?

Or would this fail?

Could do that a lot of people say no cardio on a bulk but I feel as long as your not burning all those extra cals your eating its healthy for your heart. But to each is own.

AlwaysTryin
11-30-2010, 07:59 PM

Or would this fail?

well that works out the same

let's say he does cardio (5 days a week) burning 200 calories each session.

500 calories over each day ends up = (500 x 7) - (200 x 5) = 2500

Whereas eating 300 calories over a day = 300 x 7 = 2100

So it evens out. People do cardio cause they want to keep their heart healthy or cause they like doing it.

Personally I hate treadmills etc

andrewtclarkson
11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Personally I hate treadmills etc

This.

I will get in some cardio here and there because my initial idea of getting back to the gym is to be healthier. Muscle mass, endurance and flexibility. It will be places other than Chronic Cardio tho...

But I will scale back some. I think I am part being paranoid, it's not like I'm getting chubby, just planning for down the road.

Oh... and it is lots newb gains, I've been out of it for a few years.

I'll cut back cals some, think more about meal timing and macros.

Thanks all

andrewtclarkson
12-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Felt like hell yesterday, carb withdrawl I think!

Today is great. Doing 3660 cals and under 200 carbs. yesterday was under 60 carbs (lol)

Threw all my pasta in the gym's holiday food drive bin.