PDA

View Full Version : Silly question but it makes sense to me

ImJustPete
11-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Ok i know there is the on going debate about how you can not lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.. Since April i have gone from 262 to 198 and put on some decent muscle at the same time. I am not the strictest person when it comes to my diet. To be completely honest some nights I smoke weed to fall asleep and I get the munchies. Anyone who smokes knows what thats like. I have been making healthier munchie decisions i.e. Flax wrap with peanut butter and bananas vs Pizza etc. My thoughts were on the days i do go over my calories does that help build muscle and the days i remain under help with the fat loss or does it work on a larger scale. Like you need to be over for several days before it effects growth and vice versa?

joelash302
11-30-2010, 10:14 AM
It is possible to gain muscle and lose fat. It is easy when you are overweight and gets harder as the tide shifts to a leaner body shape.

What you are referring to specifically is calorie cycling. Many of us on the boards, myself included, do this by cycling carbs. So on my lifting days I will eat 3,500-3,700 calories and on my off days 2,800-3,200. The difference is made up in carbs. It works, however it is a slow process once you get lean and want to keep yourself low BF.

ImJustPete
11-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I have noticed once i broke 210 it has been a lot slower of a process. Time to stop rocking the ganja I guess. I feel i would be 10lbs lighter in this process if it werent for those days.

joelash302
11-30-2010, 10:29 AM
In all honesty, you could plan around it if it's something that helps you sleep (aka can't get to sleep without some sort of medication, of which I do know a few people like that). Get your snacks ready ahead of time and plan your diet around that.

ImJustPete
11-30-2010, 10:42 AM
I have been getting a little better with it.. Keeping bad stuff out of the house. Portioning out almonds , fruit salad etc.

Its a crutch i know but after working on computers all day its nice to be able to turn your brain off.

QT
11-30-2010, 10:48 AM
A deficit will help you gain muscle rapider then with a "lose fat, gain muscle"-path for sure. That one day of binging will probably do you nothing. Neither for good or for worse. Just don't make it many days at the time.