PDA

View Full Version : Tips for overcoming fears of getting fat on a bulk

bbavender
11-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey all,

I am recovering from an ED and was wondering what tips if any, you guys could provide me of getting over my fear of getting fat. I am consuming 500 over maintenance and am gaining 1 pound a week and my results in the gym are increasing. But, when I eat I just have this immense fear that Im going to go back to the way I was when I weighed 350lbs. Even though I know that Im not eating anything like I did then. No fast food, no pop, etc. I just hate these walls that Im facing.

snorkelman
11-29-2010, 01:51 PM
At 6'4" I wouldn't even consider stopping your bulk before 200 pounds. Re-assess yourself then, and most likely continue (with possible modifications if necessary) for another 10-20 pounds, assuming you are really just 500 above maintenance.

bbavender
11-29-2010, 01:54 PM
At 6'4" I wouldn't even consider stopping your bulk before 200 pounds. Re-assess yourself then, and most likely continue (with possible modifications if necessary) for another 10-20 pounds, assuming you are really just 500 above maintenance.

Im not considering stopping, Im so motivated because I really dont look healthy at 180 lbs. But I struggle to get all of my food in, not that Im not hungry, just that I have an immense fear of getting fat. I lost all that weight in the exactly wrong way. I fasted and ate fruit basically. So yeah I was totally clueless about nutrition and weight loss and relied on the scale for information.

cianoo333
11-29-2010, 02:06 PM
The only tip I can give you is that things are completely in your own hands and if your don't like the amount of fat you are gaining you can always adjust your diet or training to suit what you want. Also remember how you feel now and how you felt before and you know you are not going to go back to before

bbavender
11-29-2010, 02:08 PM
The only tip I can give you is that things are completely in your own hands and if your don't like the amount of fat you are gaining you can always adjust your diet or training to suit what you want. Also remember how you feel now and how you felt before and you know you are not going to go back to before

Thanks, I havent really seen any bf increase but Im only 5 lbs into my bulk. Its just tough thinking I wanna gain weight, and everyone around me says "go out and eat like you did before" which scares the hell outta me.

rmcdcfc88
11-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Mass gainers are serious business over my side of the water anyway. (Ireland)

Few down my local gym are on them and they've packed on quite a bit of mass in the last few months.

themoose333
11-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Just keep in mind that no one judges your body image as harsh as yourself. Try to find ways not to care as much about what others think of you (image wise). Idk man hope that helps, did for me anyways.

bbavender
11-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Just keep in mind that no one judges your body image as harsh as yourself. Try to find ways not to care as much about what others think of you (image wise). Idk man hope that helps, did for me anyways.

Thanks, everyday is a new challenge. I just keep telling myself its better than the alternative.

rmcdcfc88
11-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks, everyday is a new challenge. I just keep telling myself its better than the alternative.

Tbh man i can't see you gaining any significant amount of fat, even if you eat a 800 calorie surplus a day.

The fact that you recognise you're not eating as much as you were when you were heavier shows me and everyone on here that you are in the right frame of mind to work on getting bulkier.

Liftn2011
11-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Hey all,

I am recovering from an ED and was wondering what tips if any, you guys could provide me of getting over my fear of getting fat. I am consuming 500 over maintenance and am gaining 1 pound a week and my results in the gym are increasing. But, when I eat I just have this immense fear that Im going to go back to the way I was when I weighed 350lbs. Even though I know that Im not eating anything like I did then. No fast food, no pop, etc. I just hate these walls that Im facing.

Keep eating above maintenance, but watch the macro mix (say 40/40/20 protein/carbs/fat), and then watch the scale/bf monitor...if things head south, I'd boost the number/duration of cardio workouts before reducing calories...best of luck, man.

ian0789
So for weeks (Probably about 3-4) I was thinking I was eating 2800 ish on work out days and turns out I was really eating 3100ish! I had / still have a ED and I was so afraid to ever eat that much. Heck just pushing what I was thinking was 2800 was a very hard hill to get over. And now finding out that I was really eating much more and guess what! I train hard, I eat clean and I didnt get fat. Even tho if I knew I was really eating 3100+ Id probably go running and hide away from the Fat monster after a week of doing it on my own.

I did how ever adjust my macro's and now that I have a digital scale going to have to reconfigure my intake to see what I really NEED to be gaining but none the less dont fear the food. If your lifts are going up and you dont see some massive gut coming in or the ground shakes when you walk then keep up the work. It sure as heck pays off in the end.

This is coming from someone who was low 130's a few months back. You can keep turning the wheel and get nothing back for all your work or know that once you hit your goals you will feel great! Dont bust your ass in the gym only to get nothing back in return.

cianoo333
Mass gainers are serious business over my side of the water anyway. (Ireland)

Few down my local gym are on them and they've packed on quite a bit of mass in the last few months.

I don't know would this be ideal in these circumstances though because if he is afraid of putting on BF then a mass gainer would leave little margin for error in terms of calories which is not desirable. Maybe people feel differently on this but that's just my opinion

bbavender
11-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't know would this be ideal in these circumstances though because if he is afraid of putting on BF then a mass gainer would leave little margin for error in terms of calories which is not desirable. Maybe people feel differently on this but that's just my opinion

I think the motive behind it would be not consuming as much food. Its a good idea, I dont know if I will do it, but all the suggestions have been great thanks!

rmcdcfc88
11-29-2010, 02:23 PM

I totally understand where you're coming from on this. I really believe the **** has hit the fan with the original poster and he is well aware of where he is now and where he wants to be in time. IMO the most important part of succeeding in life, is having a vision that is not blurred, and the OP ticks that box.

I think the motive behind it would be not consuming as much food. Its a good idea, I dont know if I will do it, but all the suggestions have been great thanks!

Mucho respect for you bro!

bbavender
11-29-2010, 02:25 PM
I totally understand where you're coming from on this. I really believe the **** has hit the fan with the original poster and he is well aware of where he is now and where he wants to be in time. IMO the most important part of succeeding in life, is having a vision that is not blurred, and the OP ticks that box.

Mucho respect for you bro!

Thanks for the support!

TBU720
11-29-2010, 02:59 PM
TBH I think a lot of the advice in here is pretty bad. You say you have a fear of getting fat, and much of the replies you are getting are telling you how to avoid/monitor your fat gain.

In my opinion, the only way to overcome a fear is to confront it and stare it in the face. I used to be terrified of heights my whole life, till one day I went to the roof and dangled my legs off the side. I sat there, looked off the building, and came to grips with the reality of heights.

One time I was trying to set a new PR on the squat and I didn't have a spot...couldnt push the weight up and nearly got crushed under it. For a few weeks I walked past the rack and just looked at it...skipped my squats...went on to the leg press. I tried to get myself over the fear by rationalizing...psyching myself up...etc. Nothing worked. Finally I just forced myself under that bar again and pressed as much weight as I could.

You are not going to become any less afraid by being a little baby about monitoring your BF. "watch the scale/bf monitor...if things head south, I'd boost the number/duration of cardio workouts" I think that is some serious silly advice. Lift like a beast and eat like a monster until you get to 200 pounds. If you think you are looking a little chubby: too bad. Theres nothing wrong with being 6'4" 200 lbs, no matter what your BF% is. Get there, get there soon, and get the hell over it. You aren't gonna get any better by dicking around at 180 and micromanaging your food intake out of some irrational fear.

Obviously, stop eating before you get yourself to 300lbs again.

bbavender
11-29-2010, 03:19 PM
I agree with everything you said, I need to just put up or shut up. If I'm going to do this I need to be fully committed. You cant go into it halfway. You can lift all you want but arent going to see any gains without the nutrition to back it up. I appreciate the way you went about your post. I dont want people to tip toe around the issue because of what I've been through, I just need to get over it and be healthy.

TBU720
11-29-2010, 03:30 PM
I agree with everything you said, I need to just put up or shut up. If I'm going to do this I need to be fully committed. You cant go into it halfway. You can lift all you want but arent going to see any gains without the nutrition to back it up. I appreciate the way you went about your post. I dont want people to tip toe around the issue because of what I've been through, I just need to get over it and be healthy.

Right. And I'm totally not trying to be "mean" or anything either. You know what you want, and you know how to get it. You also know you have a fear that is holding you back. If it is a true fear...a phobia...it will cripple you. If it is truly a fear, you can't rationalize it. You cannot hear reasons that will make you "not scared".

To return to my squat rack example, I tried to tell myself "Look...just put the safety bars on" Didnt work. "Just get that big dude to spot you" Didnt work. I tried to find reasons for why I shouldnt be afraid...but when you have a phobia, the reasons just don't matter. Nothing makes the fear go away except for confronting it.

When you sit down with that plate of food, or when you step on the scales and see that number go up, you think to yourself "I'm afraid that I'm going back to where I started"

Good. Be afraid. That fear is perfectly fine, because I know that you won't magically end up being obese again. Just stop worrying about the fear and tell your fear to go to hell. You're getting bigger and there's nothing the fear can do about it.

bbavender
11-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Right. And I'm totally not trying to be "mean" or anything either. You know what you want, and you know how to get it. You also know you have a fear that is holding you back. If it is a true fear...a phobia...it will cripple you. If it is truly a fear, you can't rationalize it. You cannot hear reasons that will make you "not scared".

To return to my squat rack example, I tried to tell myself "Look...just put the safety bars on" Didnt work. "Just get that big dude to spot you" Didnt work. I tried to find reasons for why I shouldnt be afraid...but when you have a phobia, the reasons just don't matter. Nothing makes the fear go away except for confronting it.

When you sit down with that plate of food, or when you step on the scales and see that number go up, you think to yourself "I'm afraid that I'm going back to where I started"

Good. Be afraid. That fear is perfectly fine, because I know that you won't magically end up being obese again. Just stop worrying about the fear and tell your fear to go to hell. You're getting bigger and there's nothing the fear can do about it.

Im going to use the fear to drive me to accomplish more. Thanks for the inspiration and good luck on the squat rack :D

freebirdmac
11-29-2010, 03:34 PM
There is an ongoing thread in the female area for 1st time bulkers with a few others who have been down the bulking road before. Some of the ladies have dealt with an ED, others are/were flat out concerned about gaining fat. Maybe reading the thread will help you. Although it's in the female section, a few guys have chimed in and are welcome to join in. Maybe it'll help you.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128051673

omurphy21
11-29-2010, 05:00 PM
As strange as it sounds, visualization can really help. For example, visualizing the extra calories helping you recover and build more muscle, rather than just add weight, can help out. Just my .02

bbavender
11-29-2010, 05:02 PM
As strange as it sounds, visualization can really help. For example, visualizing the extra calories helping you recover and build more muscle, rather than just add weight, can help out. Just my .02

Great point, I am in the process of setting up a meal plan to help me stay committed and overcome any fears that I have.

jake1224
11-29-2010, 05:15 PM
When you aren't making progress for sh*t because you aren't eating enough, you'll get motivated to start eating pretty quick.

Srs, that's how I got over it.

mynameisuntz
11-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Maybe some people would disagree with me here, but the slower you bulk, the less fat gain, correct?

If you gain .5 pounds per week, a smaller percentage of that would be fat compared to 1 pound per week. Or do I have that wrong?

Assuming I'm right, maybe bulk slower? Perhaps some people would disagree with that, but if this is a TRUE fear and not simply something that kind of makes you nervous, then perhaps it's worth consideration.

AlwaysTryin
11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
If you gain .5 pounds per week, a smaller percentage of that would be fat compared to 1 pound per week. Or do I have that wrong?

No you have it right. Some people are just impatient, others believe that you need to maximise your muscle gain and that judging just .5lbs gain per week is too hard and you could waste weeks upon weeks of not gaining at all (maybe thinking you are from some water fluctuation) etc. Therefore they go the 1lb a week, deal with that bit of fat gain and cut at the end of it

nealbha
10-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Same problem as you...I love food but the thought of just gaining fat is scary!
I was about 10-15lb heavier then i am right now, but i like being lean and i feel like bulking is gonna make me fat...But my goal is to gain 10 pounds in the next 1.5-2 months.
But I'm sorta getting over the fear of it, because im thinking to myself whats an extra 10 pounds gonna do? Its not that hard to lose it and some of it will be muscle.

This bulk **** be scary manne.

JustX
10-23-2012, 05:42 PM
As many have said previously, if you know that you are eating at around 500 above maintenance you will gain. The gains you make should be slow in order to put on the highest muscle/fat ratio you can. If however you feel that you are putting on too much fat, just take a look at what you are eating and lower your caloric intake by a little. At just 500 over you should not gain too much fat. As long as you have good control over what and how much you eat you really shouldn't have to worry about gaining too much weight. Lift big and eat slightly above maintenance as you said you were and you are on the right track. After a little while, recalculate your macros to adjust for your increased mass and repeat.

ErikTheElectric
10-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Same problem as you...I love food but the thought of just gaining fat is scary!
I was about 10-15lb heavier then i am right now, but i like being lean and i feel like bulking is gonna make me fat...But my goal is to gain 10 pounds in the next 1.5-2 months.
But I'm sorta getting over the fear of it, because im thinking to myself whats an extra 10 pounds gonna do? Its not that hard to lose it and some of it will be muscle.

This bulk **** be scary manne.No need to bump an old thread. But based on a few posts I've seen from you around here. Both in the nutrition section and in some of the logs.
I would suggest possibly seeking help or talking to your parents/guardians. You're current mindset around food/exercise is potentially dangerous and honestly at your age, is just the last thing you should be thinking about.

Food/Fat gain shouldn't be scaring you at 15. Good luck.