PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed Peppers

psychodiver9
11-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Anyone have a good healthy recipe for stuffed bell peppers?

desslok
11-29-2010, 08:56 AM
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/stuffed-peppers-4/Detail.aspx

psychodiver9
11-29-2010, 09:09 AM
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/stuffed-peppers-4/Detail.aspx
Thanks man. Have you tried this one?

desslok
11-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks man. Have you tried this one?

Yep, its good. I have also made the meat mixture and used it to stuff hallowed out steamed zuchini as well. I kind of actually prefer it in zuchini, personally. Although I'm usuallly lazy and just brown ground beef, add some jarred marinara sauce and stuff zuchini with that and top with parmesan.

BookMonkey
11-29-2010, 11:50 AM
I've made these many times. They don't refrigerate too well though, so your best bet is keep the mixture and the peppers separate until baking time for serving. I remember making 6 of these at once, eating 2 a day. On the third day, the bell pepper was sorta mushy and I ended up just eating the beef mixture inside.

Plus, when you rub olive oil on the outside of the bell pepper while it bakes, it makes it sorta crispy and good eats.

Also, thanks for reminding me about these things. I haven't made them for a while.

Pretty much any way you can prepare ground beef is the way you could stuff a pepper. It is all personal preference...

Clubber
11-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Anyone have a good healthy recipe for stuffed bell peppers?

I love stuffed peppers, heres what I do. I also like unstuffed peppers so ill give you that recipe as well. Sorry for the unexact measurements I usually eyeball all my cooking.

Lb of ground beef.
Seasonings - garlic powder (or minced cloves), onion powder (or sauteed onions), paprikaka, cumin, etc... whatever you prefer.
A few bell peppers, tops sliced off and insides deveined.
Cooked Brown rice.
Cheese (optional)

I brown the seasoned ground beef in a pan, then throw in the rice and maybe some worcester sauce for flavoring.
I boil the peppers for a few minutes to soften them up.
I line up the peppers in a baking dish and scoop in the beef mixture.
Throw them in the oven at 350 for about a half hour, and I add the cheese on top during the last 15 minutes.

For unstuffed I slice up the peppers, and throw the entire mixture in a baking dish then I top with cheese and bake it all.

psychodiver9
11-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. The wife was asking for stuffed peppers and wanted to get some thoughts.

psychodiver9
12-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Hey man just a follow up I made these last night and they were great. I forgot to rub them up with olive oil though. Ill try that next time. I also forgot to keep the stuffing seperate in fridge. Hope its ok for lunch today.

BookMonkey
12-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Hey man just a follow up I made these last night and they were great. I forgot to rub them up with olive oil though. Ill try that next time. I also forgot to keep the stuffing seperate in fridge. Hope its ok for lunch today.

The olive oil is mostly just a nice addition. You just run the risk of burning the skin if you don't pre-cook the meat before adding to the bell pepper baking process.

Also, it keeps fine for a day or so. Bell peppers get mushy over time after cooked.

psychodiver9
12-06-2010, 07:05 AM
I did precook the beef. Just forgot to add the OO. Would have been good if they were a bit crispier. Thanks.