PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight-Is protein shakes something to stay away from

iKriss
11-27-2010, 05:36 PM
My current plan is to hit the gym 3-4 times a week with some cardio on the off days if my body is able to handle it.

My diet consists of about 1200 calories.
I was wondering if isopure protein into my daily diet would be a bad or good thing.

If so when should I take it?

Thanks

shady66
11-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Not at all! You should be taking protein shakes to meet your daily protein needs, which is about 1gram/lbm. You do this to maintain your muscle, while trying to lose fat.

Protein shakes are usually pretty low calorie wise, so their easy to work in to the diet.

FlamingHomer
11-27-2010, 05:50 PM
what is your height and weight? 1200 is way to low unless your dieting for a victorias secret modelling show.

houndstoothgrin
11-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Both responses above are correct.

Though you may find that it may be easier/more filling to just get your ~20g of protein from 110 or so calories of 4oz boneless skinless chicken breast than a ~100 calorie protein mix.

Serpentarius
11-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Try to get a majority of your protein from as much whole foods as possible like white meat chicken breast/skinless, lean beef, cottage cheese, and then supplement the rest of your protein requirements through whey. You can take it any time of the day, most take it before or after workout.
If you are an average sized male, start at at LEAST 2000 calories and work your way down if necessary to lose at least 1 lb per week.

knowyourenemy
11-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Eating at approx. 500 cals below maintenance will ensure your metabolism doesn't crash and will enable you to consistently lose fat. 1200 cals/day may be too low depending on your body type.