PDA

View Full Version : Bulking for the Deployed

IceLifter
11-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Where I'm currently deployed I don't have a refrigerator, and going to the grocery store is obviously out of the question. We can go to the dining facility four times a day, but it's a struggle to get there just three times a day anyway.

Does anyone know some good foods that I can store in my footlocker, that don't need to stay refrigerated, that will help me bulk up? Also, if they can be shipped easily that will help a lot, since I probably will have to get them sent from home. I have packages of peanuts, and protein powder, but I definitely need something else to supplement my diet with. Any suggestions?

thegymbum
11-22-2010, 01:59 AM
The nuts and protein powder are a great start. Some other options might be jerky (various types, you could have a few different kinds to keep some variety), soy crisps (kind of like chips but high protein, low fat, lower sodium, etc.), canned food such as tuna, salmon, chicken, beans, canned soups, prepackaged meals that don't need preparation. Anyway... wanted to say best wishes with the deployment!! I hope all goes as well as possible.

IceLifter
11-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the well wishes, thegymbum. I've never heard of soy crisps, but I'm going to check them out.

Also, we have to drink SO much water out here (2+ gallons a day) to stay hydrated that sometimes it fills me up too much. Question: Can I just take my bottled water and add protein powder to it, and that will be the same as drinking that bottled water? Or does adding nutrients to it take away some of the hydration factor?

I say this because our PAs out here get pretty crazy about people having too much gatorade, supps, etc.

trey1986
12-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Hey Icelifter, as far as I know, basic protein powder added to water doesn't cause dehydration. The water provides a method to get the protein powder into your digestive system, and of course the water is going along with it so it continues to hydrate.

If you take a supplement with caffeine, that does tend to dehydrate. I don't personally recommend a lot of caffeine when in a hot, desert environment because of its dehydration tendencies, and most supps have it. That said, it is cooling for the winter, so the body doesn't become dehydrated as quickly.

My personal conclusion: I take protein powder with water, and no other supps.

ani[i]al
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Im going to be in your situation soon enough too when i get deployed, i plan on taking looooads of oats!

try mixing whey and oats in a bowl and adding a very small amount of water, mix until it turns into a kind of stodgy mixture. It actually tastes pretty awesome and easy to bang down the calories by doing it.

You can add peanut butter, milk instead of water if you wish, try it!

Or google "protein sludge" for some similar ideas!