PDA

View Full Version : should i buy an anti virus?

unknowndepraved
11-20-2010, 02:26 PM
I know there's lots of good ones for free that you can download.

I have AVG, and i have tried others but there not really good.

would buying one from wallmart be any better, because i have viruses, but the anti-virus doesn't pick up anything.

lUnknown
11-20-2010, 02:27 PM
dl trial for kaspersky 30 days. after that dl bitdefender for 30 days trial, after that dl nod32 trial for 30 days

i just gave u 3 months of the best aa programs

u can buy one after those 3 months.

SeanP35
11-20-2010, 02:28 PM
No. Get Avira, Avast, or any of the other GOOD free ones.

And to get rid of your current viruses, get Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware.

dl trial for kaspersky 30 days. after that dl bitdefender for 30 days trial, after that dl nod32 trial for 30 days

i just gave u 3 months of the best aa programs

u can buy one after those 3 months.

They're also 3 of the most unnecessary.

NoA
11-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Get Windows One Live Care, its free. This is coming from someone that has made worms and distributed trojans in the past.

209manny
11-20-2010, 02:32 PM
get avast

Boatski
11-20-2010, 02:44 PM
lol at getting viruses

Alternative
11-20-2010, 02:46 PM

would buying one from wallmart be any better, because i have viruses, but the anti-virus doesn't pick up anything.

No way never buy an AV the free ones are better.

Get Avira and malwarebytes

Dan916
11-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I use Firefox + NoScript addon + Adblocker addon.. never got a virus feelsgoodman. Prevention is always the best cure!

(2003 called.... they want their viruses back)

warm
11-20-2010, 02:51 PM
get nod32 if you wana pay for one ;).

unknowndepraved
11-20-2010, 05:41 PM
lol at getting viruses

No way never buy an AV the free ones are better.

Get Avira and malwarebytes

I use Firefox + NoScript addon + Adblocker addon.. never got a virus feelsgoodman. Prevention is always the best cure!

Always had malwarebytes, it never finds anything. I will download avira later on.

no malware and no viruses ( so it says) What else could it be? i use ccleaner, I uninstall programs i don't use, still my computer is slow as fuk. had it for 3-4 years, would it just be to old?

209manny
11-20-2010, 06:45 PM
backup all your stuff and reformat.

Alternative
11-20-2010, 06:55 PM

This.

Slow CPU rarely means virus especially if most scans are clear.

jabryl
11-20-2010, 08:37 PM
OP, hit ctrl + alt + delete, take a screen shot of your running processes and post it.
We'll tell you if anything looks suspicious.

unknowndepraved
11-20-2010, 08:40 PM

I want to do this, but my dad does it because he has to put all his work stuff on it and i have no clue what disks/ things to download. so he would have to do it, which he won'y

would a defragger? or whatever it is be worth it?

unknowndepraved
11-20-2010, 08:41 PM
This.

Slow CPU rarely means virus especially if most scans are clear.

thats what im kinda thinking, everything is slow. desktop, my computer, games, internet. takes for ever for everything to load if i restart the comp.

jabryl
11-20-2010, 08:53 PM
OP, hit ctrl + alt + delete, take a screen shot of your running processes and post it.

Never mind. Just saw you use the word "defragger" and realized that screen shots are probably beyond your skill set.

De-fragmenting the hard drive would probably help a little, but not much.
It's likely that you just have too many programs running.

NoA
11-21-2010, 12:47 AM

I still get viruses even when using this combination. Thats why I also use a boot image(deepfreeze).

NoA
11-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Practically any virus that isn't absolute **** can be hidden from the taskmanager.

Vayne
11-21-2010, 01:13 AM
I purchased Norton Internet Security 2010, I've said I would never buy a firewall. I used Avast for quite a bit of time and have tried kaspersky before but I had some sketchy things going on. No complaints so far with NIS.

jabryl
11-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Practically any virus that isn't absolute **** can be hidden from the taskmanager.

He's already run antivirus scans. It's not a virus.

IawI
11-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Anything with a mcafee interface, like avas, AVG, or kisperski, will void the warrenty. And if you're not familiar with windows 7, it's best to use something that's netbook friendly, so it doesnt suck up your resources and reduce functionality. That's why I use CA (computer associates)

c1o1o1l
11-21-2010, 01:58 AM
I use the free stuff Microsoft provides "Microsoft security essentials" I got a bad virus over the summer and my 60$ McAfee could not fix it, but the free Microsoft program did, so I let the subscription expire and now just use Microsoft

Monkey Helmet
11-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Get Windows One Live Care, its free. This is coming from someone that has made worms and distributed trojans in the past.

strong phaggot

hardgainer14
11-21-2010, 02:25 AM
I just use MS Security Essentials and scan with Malwarebytes every now and then

pilly420
11-21-2010, 10:14 AM

Taskmanager is trash. Try process explorer.

StyleN
11-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Used to use AVG, but as of this yr rocking with Avast, it's freee

mysticbiker
11-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Never mind. Just saw you use the word "defragger" and realized that screen shots are probably beyond your skill set.

De-fragmenting the hard drive would probably help a little, but not much.
It's likely that you just have too many programs running.

I know how to take a screen shot, I just heard that defragmenting can help a lot, i guess not. I'll go through and uninstall/change programs to see if that helps.

on another note, i ran malwarebytes, it found 42 problems, wtf? last time i ran it, it said 0 and i havn't touched the comp yet. I deleted most, but it said some can't be deleted.

If i deceide to buy a new laptop, what would be a good choice for around 5-800 dollars?

I Don't really play games. if i do it would be games like roller coaster tycoon 1-3. I would mainly use it for music and watching videos, downloads, internet, long battery life would be great, doesn't have to be hd/blueray.. suggestions?

unknown got perm banned, so im using this account. fackin bozz;)

freddy kruger
11-21-2010, 05:32 PM
i used to use avg, then they updated it and it became a resource hog.

I now use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. both free.

Hey OP, have you run in safemode and then ran the anitvirus and antimalware stuff? but my guess in your comp could be due for a reformat like mine was.

xdestron
11-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Avast is all you need.

ogremage
11-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Avast, Avira or AVG are all good. Pick whichever you like best.

Galvatorex
11-22-2010, 08:30 AM

lol @ buying anything

chevy72blu
11-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Sounds to me like you need to kill processes running in the background. Find out what is taking up all of your RAM and the unneccesary processes. A RAM upgrade ($30-50) would likely help you as well.

Also, you could try to defrag your registry. A lot of "registry repair" programs are snake oil, but IObit Advanced System Care has brought a few of my really old machines back to life without reformatting.

Reformatting always works best. Dont buy a new computer brah

Captain554
11-22-2010, 10:10 AM

That's what I run... best add-ons ever!

ckuyook
11-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Avast's free edition is probably the best thing you can get for free, but that's not saying much. I would not bother with even the Pro edition of Avast because the only good thing that you're paying for is the sandbox which basically emulates permission settings which I will elaborate in the following paragraph. The other features/bloat don't really justify the system resources IMO.

I encourage configuring your appropriate OS and setting the correct permissions which I believe will trump software most of the time. IMO set an ACL to deny execute/traversal permissions (chmod -R u-x on *nix) on your temp folders for your normal user account. Shiet, you might as well go for the entire local settings folder.

All software have their pros/cons, of course. AVG has issues with detecting/removing particular classifications of malware, NOD32 has a great heuristic engine yet also has issues with signatures to remove variants, and Avast is okay in all the fields, but is not more impressive in any single category by far.

I've never really liked software, especially since I'm at a point where I can practically write my own now. All of them seem to take more permissions than necessary and all of them are reactive. In a lot of situations, they seem to be nothing more than an augmented attack volume linked to NT AUTHORITY\LocalSystem instead of NT AUTHORITY\LocalService like they should be. (And I'm not even a Windows user, yet I know this?) I think a better method of security would be mitigating the effects of a compromise as well as attempting to prevent threats from penetrating the target system.

Personally when I am forced to work with Windows boxes I try to go for using a system of 2 accounts and 2 groups to lock things down. I make the Administrator user in the group NotUser and the User account in the group NotAdmin. From there, I can deny NotAdmin from registry write-access-based auto-runs while maintaining the administrative permissions that the user account needs from time to time. NotAdmin can't run anything from the temporary and the settings folders, while NotUser can. I use the goups to allow for scalability where permissions are concerned. It's an automatic template.

Permissions on Windows are most restrictive first. A thousand settings allowing something are trumped by one deny.

Zorgon
11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
No need for AV -- use linux, dualboot for games.