PDA

View Full Version : Computer Issues: Power Supply?

SeanP35
11-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Alright, simple enough question. Had a computer for a while, was getting BSOD a few times, didn't think it was a big deal. Sometimes it wouldn't boot up when I pressed the power button, sort of became more of an issue. Eventually it got to the point where pressing the power button literally does nothing. Likely a dumb question, but is there anything it can be other than the power supply?

It was the computer my parents bought at Futureshop a few years back, and I had been adding parts like another hard drive, more RAM, upgraded it to a 4670, etc.

209manny
11-19-2010, 07:18 PM
could be the connection from your cases power button to your motherboard.

warm
11-19-2010, 07:24 PM
does it have onboard video? if so remove your gfx and see if it will boot on or not.

jabryl
11-19-2010, 07:43 PM
If it literally does nothing when you push the power button, no fans, lights, or error beeps, then it's either the power supply or motherboard. The power supply is the easier fix, so that would be a good place to start.

If you are getting lights, fans, or beeps then it could also be the cpu or ram.

lotusfreek
11-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Alright, simple enough question. Had a computer for a while, was getting BSOD a few times, didn't think it was a big deal. Sometimes it wouldn't boot up when I pressed the power button, sort of became more of an issue. Eventually it got to the point where pressing the power button literally does nothing. Likely a dumb question, but is there anything it can be other than the power supply?

It was the computer my parents bought at Futureshop a few years back, and I had been adding parts like another hard drive, more RAM, upgraded it to a 4670, etc.

Unplug every accessory inside the comp. HDD, Video Card, DVD player, wireless card and case fans. Leave the mobo and CPU connected and the case open. See if it powers up. If yes, plug 1 thing in at a time and reboot. If you can get the majority of things plugged in before it fails, it could be that specific item, or the power supply.

I would lean more towards the ****ty power supplies they put in stock comps, but pretty much any comp place can test it to see. Plenty of them will do it for free because they want you to buy through them.

NoA
11-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Most comps at FutureShop has 250 or 300w power supplys that are already next to max. SO when you add in a videocard, harddrive, ram, ... it takes up way more watts than you have.

SeanP35
11-20-2010, 08:48 AM
could be the connection from your cases power button to your motherboard.

That's one of the first things I checked, it seems to be just as it was when we bought it. Everything's hooked up and the wires look to be connected well still.

does it have onboard video? if so remove your gfx and see if it will boot on or not.

Doesn't do anything with or without a video card in.

If it literally does nothing when you push the power button, no fans, lights, or error beeps, then it's either the power supply or motherboard. The power supply is the easier fix, so that would be a good place to start.

If you are getting lights, fans, or beeps then it could also be the cpu or ram.

I figured it's one of the 2, but was hoping it was the power supply. :p Is there any way to figure out which one of the 2 it is without taking it in? If not, I might as well just replace both. It'd cost me as much to replace both as it would to take it in and replace one, anyways. I don't know of any places around here that would do it free.

Unplug every accessory inside the comp. HDD, Video Card, DVD player, wireless card and case fans. Leave the mobo and CPU connected and the case open. See if it powers up. If yes, plug 1 thing in at a time and reboot. If you can get the majority of things plugged in before it fails, it could be that specific item, or the power supply.

I would lean more towards the ****ty power supplies they put in stock comps, but pretty much any comp place can test it to see. Plenty of them will do it for free because they want you to buy through them.

Did this, it didn't do anything no matter what parts were taken out.

Most comps at FutureShop has 250 or 300w power supplys that are already next to max. SO when you add in a videocard, harddrive, ram, ... it takes up way more watts than you have.

That's what I figured, especially since it's a few years old now.

So basically we're down to the power supply or motherboard, eh? Does anybody have any idea how I could get my hands on a socket PGA-939 motherboard? I didn't even realize the computer wasn't AM2. And a typical 500W power supply would do the job just fine, would it not?

And thanks for the help, thing's been dead for a few months now and I just haven't been sure what to do with it.

209manny
11-20-2010, 12:41 PM
just grab another power supply from a working computer and test to see if it boots.

all you would have to do is just disconnect the atx power cable from the other computer and plug it into yours to test it out.

SeanP35
11-20-2010, 01:42 PM
just grab another power supply from a working computer and test to see if it boots.

all you would have to do is just disconnect the atx power cable from the other computer and plug it into yours to test it out.

I guess I could give it a shot. BRB testing. Lul.

SeanP35
11-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Plugging in a different power supply's ATX cable didn't do anything. I suppose this points towards the Motherboard?

209manny
11-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Plugging in a different power supply's ATX cable didn't do anything. I suppose this points towards the Motherboard?

try your computers power supply on the other computer

NoA
11-20-2010, 02:35 PM
That's one of the first things I checked, it seems to be just as it was when we bought it. Everything's hooked up and the wires look to be connected well still.

Doesn't do anything with or without a video card in.

Did this, it didn't do anything no matter what parts were taken out.

That's what I figured, especially since it's a few years old now.

So basically we're down to the power supply or motherboard, eh? Does anybody have any idea how I could get my hands on a socket PGA-939 motherboard? I didn't even realize the computer wasn't AM2. And a typical 500W power supply would do the job just fine, would it not?

And thanks for the help, thing's been dead for a few months now and I just haven't been sure what to do with it.

I figured it's one of the 2, but was hoping it was the power supply. :p Is there any way to figure out which one of the 2 it is without taking it in? If not, I might as well just replace both. It'd cost me as much to replace both as it would to take it in and replace one, anyways. I don't know of any places around here that would do it free.

Check to see if the light on the back of the power supply comes on, does the fan inside the power supply start? Try only plugging in fans to the powersupply and see if they come on. If your powersupply works in all of these then its not your powersupply. Google some steps on what to check next. IMO its probably bad ram

SeanP35
11-20-2010, 02:44 PM
try your computers power supply on the other computer

Same result. When I plugged it in pressing the power button did nothing.

Check to see if the light on the back of the power supply comes on, does the fan inside the power supply start? Try only plugging in fans to the powersupply and see if they come on. If your powersupply works in all of these then its not your powersupply. Google some steps on what to check next. IMO its probably bad ram

No light. Hell, I don't even know if it has one. Fan doesn't start. Unplugging everything but the fans doesn't change it. It's literally like I never pressed the power button. No fans, no lights, no sounds, nothing.

warm
11-20-2010, 02:57 PM
psu is fuked. go get a new one brah.

209manny
11-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Same result. When I plugged it in pressing the power button did nothing.

well if the psu from your broken computer doesn't work on the other computer, then for sure your power supply is f*cked.

SeanP35
11-20-2010, 04:21 PM
well if the psu from your broken computer doesn't work on the other computer, then for sure your power supply is f*cked.

The PSU from my other computer doesn't work on the broken computer either. Motherboard a goner too?

NoA
11-20-2010, 04:28 PM
The PSU from my other computer doesn't work on the broken computer either. Motherboard a goner too?

PSU might have damaged your mobo, who knows.