PDA

View Full Version : got choked out unconscious for the first time today

daazndood
11-15-2010, 11:25 PM
It was an interesting experience. It happened because I thought I could escape but I could not. Last thing I remember was I was in turtle position and my training partner had my back and was trying his best to apply a Gi choke. I thought nothing of it and just kept trying to get out then I saw nothing but flashing lights for the longest time. When I woke up I saw my sensei standing over me pulling my mouthguard out(apparently I was choking on it). They said I was only out for a few seconds but it seriously felt like 10 minutes. Then I sat in the corner for 15 minutes and continued training after that.

It felt like I smoked a ton of weed or something. Now I know what it is like to get choked unconscious and will not be so surprised next time.

I now have a blood spot on my left eyeball and a ton of little red spots on my face

someonefat
11-15-2010, 11:39 PM
lol as kid we would choke each other out unconscious because of the feelings you described

Fadil
11-16-2010, 01:12 AM
i got nearly choked out yesterday...but time was up. i could barely stand after that.

westbigballin
11-16-2010, 01:13 AM
interesting. never been choked out unconscious, although i would like to be sometime to at least experience it/know what it feels like

ive been pretty close (cause i dont tap unless i really have to while sparring - makes my submission defense better and my partner better for not giving them an easy tap... i usually get out of it too eventually if i dont have to tap)

almost blacked out this weekend when my instructor was doing guillotine escapes from the guard on me... dove right onto my neck/chin and kept all his weight there for like a minute... was extremely uncomfortable and srsly was like "is this real life?" the entire time lol, couldnt understand/answer any of the questions he was asking me during the demo

funny thing - one guy went out during a headlock/guillotine escape demo a few months ago because of good shoulder pressure on the neck

BORN2LOSE
11-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Strangely enough the blood choke is very calming and not scary like you'd think. Atleast not for me. Now get me in a tight arm bar and I'm tapping like a little girl.

PaHulkster
11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Gi chokes are awesome like that. Once you get it right it's lights out super quick.

Compl3x
11-16-2010, 12:41 PM
I got choked out unconcious about a month ago for the first time, and it was weird. As I was getting choked, I felt like I could push threw it but nope.

There's two type of chokes, wind chokes and blood chokes. Wind chokes (what I'm use to) make it hard to breathe. Blood chokes (what made me sleep) block blood from going to your brain which is what makes you go unconcious. Since I was still able to breathe, I figured everything was okay. Guess I was wrong.

N4th4n
11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
lol as kid we would choke each other out unconscious because of the feelings you described

could explain why you are so retarded now

daazndood
11-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I got choked out unconcious about a month ago for the first time, and it was weird. As I was getting choked, I felt like I could push threw it but nope.

There's two type of chokes, wind chokes and blood chokes. Wind chokes (what I'm use to) make it hard to breathe. Blood chokes (what made me sleep) block blood from going to your brain which is what makes you go unconcious. Since I was still able to breathe, I figured everything was okay. Guess I was wrong.

yea it was a blood choke that got me. wind chokes are easy to gauge but blood chokes...not so much. now i got a huge blood spot on my eyeball must have popped some blood vessels

BORN2LOSE
11-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Don't make it a habbit of going out or even getting close.

Croaker
11-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Blood chokes don't actually stop blood from going into your brain. There's something called a barometer nerve (or barometer ???) that shuts your brain off when there's pressure to your arteries.

Think of it like this, underneath your arteries is a bunch of soft tissue. How can you cut off circulation to the brain by only pressing into the artery and not clamping it shut? If you were to place a running garden hose on a pillow and press downwards, would you be able to completely stop the flow?

Back on subject, I've been choked unconscious with a gi choke. I was confused and agitated when I came to, not calm like y'all are describing. My last tournament I also choked a guy out, the sounds he was making sounded like he was snoring while drowning. Felt weird for him to all the sudden go limp.

Scumdog
11-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Did you wake up and say "What happened?!?!" because that is exactly what I did when I first got choked out. Even though I knew exactly what happened. Makes no sense.

Compl3x
11-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Did you wake up and say "What happened?!?!" because that is exactly what I did when I first got choked out. Even though I knew exactly what happened. Makes no sense.

Lmao.

ketobrah
11-16-2010, 05:25 PM
red spots=popped blood vessels
i get it all the time from just normal training

bluebeltATT
11-16-2010, 05:55 PM
getting choked until you pass out usually stems from heavy breathing/gassing and then getting a choke applied, the 2 are a recipe for zzzzzzzzzzz

unless you are rolling wih brown belts or higher who sneak them fukkers in

CaliiforniaLove
11-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Never been choked out, have choked someone out with a gogoplata though. I had gotten the gogo and I was just sitting there applying light pressure waiting for him to tap, never did. Next thing I knew he was unconscious, was bizarre.

jiujitsudude
11-16-2010, 08:18 PM
haven't been choked out in a while.... weirdest feeling when you do.

Everytime I've been out I react just like what scumdog said, confused as hell for the first ~20seconds and then after I am just wtf'ing at myself for what I just said.

westbigballin
11-16-2010, 09:20 PM
getting choked until you pass out usually stems from heavy breathing/gassing and then getting a choke applied, the 2 are a recipe for zzzzzzzzzzz

unless you are rolling wih brown belts or higher who sneak them fukkers in

lol holy fuk i rolled with a brown belt and he was getting me in a choke every 10 seconds. i didnt know wtf to do (i was pretty new at the time too though). he told me keep my chin down, i did and i still got choked out - was ****in ridiculous
ended up getting so out of it that i couldnt think clearly while getting choked. after i tapped my head coach was like "why did you tap when you could have just tried to move his arm?"
and i was like "... wat?"

Blood chokes don't actually stop blood from going into your brain. There's something called a barometer nerve (or barometer ???) that shuts your brain off when there's pressure to your arteries.

Think of it like this, underneath your arteries is a bunch of soft tissue. How can you cut off circulation to the brain by only pressing into the artery and not clamping it shut? If you were to place a running garden hose on a pillow and press downwards, would you be able to completely stop the flow?

Back on subject, I've been choked unconscious with a gi choke. I was confused and agitated when I came to, not calm like y'all are describing. My last tournament I also choked a guy out, the sounds he was making sounded like he was snoring while drowning. Felt weird for him to all the sudden go limp.

few weekends ago i learned that it only takes 10 lbs of pressure to slow down blood pressure to your head. to demonstrate, one of the coaches put two fingers on each side of the neck and after 30 or so seconds, the guy had to tap.

--------

btw, has anyone else felt like going out or tapping due to really strong/good shoulder pressure?
this weekend i was getting choked pretty good by shoulder pressure and it suckedddddd. could not think at ALL

Croaker
11-16-2010, 09:38 PM
few weekends ago i learned that it only takes 10 lbs of pressure to slow down blood pressure to your head. to demonstrate, one of the coaches put two fingers on each side of the neck and after 30 or so seconds, the guy had to tap.

--------

btw, has anyone else felt like going out or tapping due to really strong/good shoulder pressure?
this weekend i was getting choked pretty good by shoulder pressure and it suckedddddd. could not think at ALL

Yeah, but that ten pounds triggered the barometer, didn't cut off all blood flow.

forcefedfreak
11-17-2010, 07:27 AM
I've never been choked out completely. My vision went for like 3-5 seconds once when I was fighting out of a tight triangle, but I still had the consciousness to tap.

the_guvna
11-17-2010, 07:39 AM

facepalm

MUFC
11-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Leo Santos was coaching my training partner through a clock choke last year and the room was really loud. both my hands were trapped under me, and as I started feeling the choke, I tried to verbally tap, but since the choke was tight, and Leo was shouting instructions, no one heard me.

When I came to, I was on my side and Leo was looking at me chuckling, and i was thinking to myself "wtf is this stupid mother ****er doing?". They told me I had gone out. Kinda surreal.

blindsideflank
11-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah, but that ten pounds triggered the barometer, didn't cut off all blood flow.

k, sorta.
the baroreceptors feel the pressure and are sensing what your body beleives is a high blood pressure. this stimulates a nerve (vagus) that has a parasympathetic (slowing down) effect. this drops your blood pressure and heart reat and your brain becomes uderperfused (not enough blood) and you lose consiousness
or
you squeeze hard enough to stop the blood flow
i dunno what chokes really do to tell the truth

and anyone with physiology/patho knowledge i apologize for this atrocious, partly true, simplified explanation that im not sure is even accurate for chokes

Croaker
11-17-2010, 04:05 PM
k, sorta.
the baroreceptors feel the pressure and are sensing what your body beleives is a high blood pressure. this stimulates a nerve (vagus) that has a parasympathetic (slowing down) effect. this drops your blood pressure and heart reat and your brain becomes uderperfused (not enough blood) and you lose consiousness
or
you squeeze hard enough to stop the blood flow
i dunno what chokes really do to tell the truth

and anyone with physiology/patho knowledge i apologize for this atrocious, partly true, simplified explanation that im not sure is even accurate for chokes

The first is basically how an ER doctor explained it to me.

blindsideflank
11-17-2010, 04:36 PM
The first is basically how an ER doctor explained it to me.
ya makes sense he would say that, he would do things like a carotid sinus massage which is often used in patients with out of sontrol heart rates etc.
thats interesting to think about because obvioudly the first thing to go through your head is that you are just kinking a hose to prevent blood flow

if this is the case would certain meds prevent you from being choked out this way? hmm...

daazndood
11-17-2010, 06:24 PM

haha this is actually the first thing i said

daazndood
11-18-2010, 08:09 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/DustinLD/Photo0497.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/DustinLD/Photo0498.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/DustinLD/Photo0495.jpg

guest89
11-18-2010, 09:18 PM
My last tournament I also choked a guy out, the sounds he was making sounded like he was snoring while drowning. Felt weird for him to all the sudden go limp.
Awhile back a guy got choked up in my gym. He tightened up and started twitching, TBH it looked like he was having a minor seizure.

It was pretty freaky... I think going limp makes it seem more peaceful/safer.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/DustinLD/Photo0497.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/DustinLD/Photo0498.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/DustinLD/Photo0495.jpg

wtf? Did you go get checked out by a doctor

huddlestonalex
11-18-2010, 09:36 PM
ya makes sense he would say that, he would do things like a carotid sinus massage which is often used in patients with out of sontrol heart rates etc.
thats interesting to think about because obvioudly the first thing to go through your head is that you are just kinking a hose to prevent blood flow

if this is the case would certain meds prevent you from being choked out this way? hmm...

this thought also popped into my dome.

My last fight, dude didnt tap to my RNC and went out but only for like 3 seconds. Was really weird to feel him turn into dead weight.

daazndood
11-19-2010, 12:57 PM
wtf? Did you go get checked out by a doctor

no i thought it was normal =[

bluebeltATT
11-19-2010, 02:04 PM

lolwut

Von Brawn
11-19-2010, 02:50 PM

looks like a popped blood vessel to me. Don't know why a doctor's trip would be necessary?

mmaoz
11-20-2010, 03:51 AM
i've yet to be choked unconscious, (felt like i was in a bondage forum writing that)
the first time i choked someone out (not in the gym) i nearly **** my pants thinking they were seriously hurt. i lul when i think back to that

Fit1NYC
11-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Leo Santos was coaching my training partner through a clock choke last year and the room was really loud. both my hands were trapped under me, and as I started feeling the choke, I tried to verbally tap, but since the choke was tight, and Leo was shouting instructions, no one heard me.

When I came to, I was on my side and Leo was looking at me chuckling, and i was thinking to myself "wtf is this stupid mother ****er doing?". They told me I had gone out. Kinda surreal.

Sounds like an irrisponsible coach

Croaker
11-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Sounds like an irrisponsible coach

VCLoV40jDKM