PDA

View Full Version : Help on losing fat, Please read!

Wildstyle
11-07-2001, 09:39 AM
Ok, this might be kinda long, but please bare with me:

My stats are 6'1, 255lbs, I'm 20 yrs old.

In the last year and a half, I've gone from 210lbs to 270lbs and with me working out, etc I'm now down to 255lbs... this is b/c of bad eating habits and my new job which is just sitting down ALL day, inactivity.

Ok, so... my daily eating habits, now that I have changed them are:

Breakfast (only one of): Toast OR toaster's strudel OR muffin & juice OR cereal

Lunch: Subway OR tv dinner like rice & chicken OR Grilled chicken sandwich from a fastfood restaurant only if I have to, etc.

Supper: Home cooked meal, potatoes, veggies pork chop OR chicken and rice .. etc to that nature... healthy stuff.

During the day, sometimes I'll have a small snack, like a veggie snack or cookie or something... granola bar.. etc.

For my workouts:

Monday - chest, triceps
Tuesday - legs
Wednesday - Shoulders, back
Thursday - biceps, forearms, abs
Friday - Sunday - rest

For each exercise, I do 5-7 different exercises usually, especially chest.

Suppliments:

Xenadrine - 4 pills daily, two in morning, two in mid-afternoon, been on them for 1.5 weeks now.

Whey Protein - One scoop after I get home from the gym each day mixed with 250ml of milk.

Multi-vitamin - one per day in the morning.

I drink 8-16 cups of water EVERY day also.

Okay, please review that for me and tell me how I am doing, if I can do anything to speed things up ... I hate the way I look, and I don't feel like I am getting anywhere... it's a dramatic change to go from 210lbs to 270... I want to be down to 190-200lbs where I will be happy again. Any help you can give, I thank you very much!

Wildstyle
11-07-2001, 03:02 PM
Lots of view's but no reply's! Anyone have an opinion at least?

Logo
11-07-2001, 04:09 PM
If you're just trying to burn some fat and you have a good bit of it too burn, concentrate mainly on the amount of calories you're take in on a daily basis. Do you know your bodyfat percentage? That will help you figure out how many calories you should be getting in a day. Just keep the calories low (not too low) and eat healthy.

Mr.Lean
11-07-2001, 04:49 PM
Try to reduce carbs( potatoes, rice) in your last 2 meals they may be healthy but are no good for losing fat. Only consume green vegtables late in the day and base your meals around high protein foods. Also do cardio( You dont seem to do any at all!!) first thing in the morning, 3-4 x a week on an empty stomach for 45 mins at moderate pace.
Keep a record of your calories and if you dont see a difference after a week lower calories and increse cardio until you start to lose weight consistently. Also get bodyfat measurement and record that on a weeky basis to ensure that you are losing fat and not muscle weight.

muscle_girl
11-07-2001, 05:07 PM
Hey Wildstyle,
I think no one is replying cause this is going to take a real long reply!!!
Well here goes my shot.
First your diet is awful man - you have to clean it up.
As was mentioned in the previous post you need to find out how many calories your body actually needs and begin with that in mind. Generally, on a cutting diet you will need around 10 calories per pound - make sure you are assessing how you feel while doing this and add a little if NEEDED - but since you have a sit down job you probably will not need extra. Try to do some cardio in the morning on an empty stomach - this is one of the quickest ways to burn fat - take a couple of those xenadrines 1/2 hour before you do that cardio - it will add a little boost. If it is impossible to do this then do cardio after your workouts - I ddin't see any in there.
You have to have more protein in this diet too. You need at minimum one gram of protein per pound of lean mass - try to find out what your bodyfat percentage is and then figure your lean mass (don't forget the calories). Try to eat a healthy 5-6 meals a day, cut out the strudel things and other sugar and unhealthy fats (cookies are my downfall too - try to save 'em for a once a week treat-while you are learning new habits), and divide those calories up throughout the day (but yet decreasing as the day progresses). Let me explain that one, eat more calories in the morning meal and much less in the evening meal (understand what I mean?). Cut out potatoes or other starchy carbs at night - your body needs less, you will sleep better and you won't add extra carb calories that will just turn to fat. If you're going to eat veggies with in the evening eat green ones - broccoli, spinach etc. Have your carb after your workout -not before sleeping.

Lots of people on this board don't advocate whey protein mixed with milk after your workout - I'll let them speak to that point.

Keep your water high - I always push 1gallon per 100lbs of weight - even more when dieting. Yeah I know it's going to be a trip down the elevator almost every hour! :-)

It takes work and dedication - there's no magical pill (darn it!)

muscle_girl
11-07-2001, 05:09 PM
Hey Mr. Lean!
You beat me to it - we were both typing at the same time you just got your stuff out quicker!! Go figure.

Wildstyle
11-07-2001, 10:22 PM
muscle_girl: I was afraid someone was going to say my diet sucked. :(

I gained so much weight because, I'll tell you this, honestly, I was eating fast food EVERY day. It consisted of, breakfast: Mcdonalds Lunch: Harvey's, burger king, mcdonalds, subway, wendy's... different one / different day.. supper: pizza/home cooked/ or more fast food... this includes burgers burgers... and more burgers and fry's..

It was discusting. And it seemed like each month went by and my pants were tighter.... more weight, man.. it was sick.

So thought I should change that....... here I am....... and now I'm obsessed with body building and stuff now but dont' know anything about it lol...

muscle_girl: Any chance you could give me a hand , or anyone else by telling me what I should eat/buy for food? I swear as soon as I get that info I will go and buy the groceries and start immediately.... I'm so sick of being this way... ( not to mention the ladies started dropping off like fly's... used to all the attention.. hehe )

The weight lifting I've been doing is working slowly, my arms are bigger and I have a bigger chest, etc now. But it's all under the fat ........ thanks!!

Buff_Daddy
11-08-2001, 12:03 AM
hey, in your case you can gain a bit of muscle, and lose fat at the same time, because you are "big" to begin with... i assume this is your goal? because of your previously unhealthy diet, the sudden change to healthier, low calorie foods should spark some fat loss, as well as the weight training. But remember that just because the food is healthier doesnt mean you are eating fewer calories... its the OVERALL calorie consumption over a whole day that you need to look at. This is why some of those diet programs allow you to eat cake, pizza, etc, however the portions are very small.... as a general rule, you should strive to eat 10 times your body weight in calories, and eat atleast 6 meals a day... remember you are eating often, but not necessariloy more. distribute your calories evenly throughout these meals , however in the last 2 meals, try to eat only protein and fat (no carbs). Decrease calories by 500 every 10 days until you reach 10x your bodyweight in calories... use a ratio per meal (except for last 2) of carbs:protein: fat of about 40:40:20...the diet aspect can get very confusing, its best to calculate how many calories you should eat per day in advance, and refer to it.

Also, you MUST do cardio, this is not an option... aim for 4 times a week before breakfast.

Wildstyle
11-08-2001, 08:45 AM
Ok.... I have started doing cardio last week, I started by doing 10 min of tred-mill.. .and working my way up... 15 min... 20 min.. etc.. what I am finding right now is that I have to take my Xenadrine pills in the correct timely manner because I find if I take them too early and I don't do cardio while it's still going, then I get very tired quickly because my motabolism has been working harder. If I take them at the right time later in the day and do cardio at the right time while it's still going then I'm fine... so... I'm right now only doing cardio like 2-3 times a week because of my schedule... about 10-15 each time.. which I know, isn't enough.. but it's a start.

buddy
11-08-2001, 01:42 PM
I know what you are going through because I am in the same boat. Naturally I am smaller then you but still. I went from 150 to around 200 in a few short months of really bad eating and no activity. So now I am ready to loose the weight and change my lifestyle. But it is really hard to get going and the minuet I am ready to stick to a plan someone tells me it will not work. Please some one HELP. I am over being like this.

Does anyone have a good plan? So far this is my plan. Cardio every morning when I wake up and night before I sleep. To change my diet that right now consists of a few big meals a day to several small healthy ones. I am thinking about going on a protein diet but eating some clean carbohydrates in the morning. Like two small waffles and a banana or shredded wheat and a banana.

A few things that concern me are

1 is eating like this going to be bad for my health?
I have heard eating mostly protein is hard on your body.

2 if I loose weight fast am I going to end up with loose skin?
I need to loose 50 to 100 pounds

3 will I be able to still build lean muscle on a protein diet?

My girlfriend will also be doing the same plan as me. I am 22 and she is 18. We where both in good shape two years ago so we know it can be done we just don’t know how. Please help us out with this. Any advice you can give us will be appreciated.
Thanks
williamogr@home.net

muscle_girl
11-08-2001, 05:25 PM
Ok since you want help let me give you an idea of my day and how I eat.

Wake up 4-6 oz water, do cardio (20-40 min) EMPTY stomach
Meal 1) Eggs (combination of whole eggs and egg whites)
Meal 2) Oatmeal with skim milk
Meal 3) Some kind of meat and green vegs
Pre workout meal
Post workout carb
Meal 4,5,6) Some kind of meat and green vegs

I'm like a lot of girls who are BB's - a little scared of too many carbs - you might be comfortable with a few more carbs, just don't do those carbs at your last meal. But I know that my lifting suffers if I don't eat that oatmeal in the morning :-)

This type of meal structure will help you lose fat and keep your muscle.

No the protein won't hurt you, your kidneys or anything like that - when Dr's say they are worried that your diet is that "typical" fast food diet and in that case it is a combination of bad factors.

But you need to do the calories and figure it out. You should start with around 2500 calories (255lbs x10 cal/lb) and as you lose weight continue to decrease your calories but make sure your daily activities are enough to use more calories than you are eating. How can you tell? Well, if you are losing weight (not too fast) then you are fine but if you seem to plateau then changes will need to be made. Realize that you don't really want to lose more than 2lbs a week! I know that seems like not enough to you right now but for your body to adjust properly and maintain itself (not eating muscle) and to easier keep the weight off (long term) you will need to keep yourself from going too fast.

Keep us informed - we'll try to help along the way.
Go for it -- be the best you can!

BigBrother
11-08-2001, 11:34 PM
id cut carbs out
only eat carbs once a day, only 30 min after workouts
Dont be afraid of quality fats (in beef, peanuts, flax seed oil ect.)
up your protien intake (for u about to at least 250-300 grams a day)
What you want to do is target BF% (bodyfat) not so much weight loss, because its relative
Workout shcedules good
workout sucks though
you could be overtraining (whats up with 5-7 exercises per bodypart?) cut down to 2 a bodypart, 3 for larger muscles such as back and legs, drop the number of reps, INCREASE WEIGHT train heavy
ex. of a chest workout:
Bench 3x (8,6,4) each set going to failure
DB incline 3x (8,6,4) " " " .

Research the anabolic diet (its awsome)
www.bloodsweatsteel.com ------>goto nutrition or diet link---------------->look for anabolic diet

buddy
11-10-2001, 11:53 PM
This is the meal plan I made. The two books that I made this diet from are the greenwich diet “which is a protein based diet” and the mens health hard body plan diet. Keep in mind that I am trying to loose weight and not make big gains. I am also not a big guy I am 5’9 and my ideal weight will be 150 or 160 with a low body fat %. I want to base my diet on protein but still eat some carbohydrates along with fruit and vegetables. A multi vitamin will be taken first thing in the morning and I will hopefully drink about a gallon of spring water a day. Please let me know what you think.

Meal 1
1 whole grain frozen waffle with a spoon of fat free whip cream
1 teaspoon flax seed oil
1 glass of oj
1 banana

Meal 2
Half a meal replacement shake

Meal 3
6 oz. grilled chicken breast
1 cup of steamed vegetables
big glass of spring water

Meal 4