PDA

View Full Version : How long before upping Calories and seeing change?

Montre
11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Started bulking about a week and a half ago. Started tracking my calories. I read this article
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking
and alot of it made sense to me, so I figured I'd go that route.

AFter tracking my calories, I'm aiming at starting with 2500Cal. To reach this goal I have to actually force myself to eat, I was probably only doing 1600 before. Even adding 900 Cals a day, and focusing on a high protein, my weight hasn't gone up, or down.

Is there sort of an "Adjustment" period before your body gets used to eating excessive calories? Was I not eating enough before and its somehow filling "holes"? I'm not sure what to make of this, before adding 900-1000 calories a day my weight never changed, even for months, so its not as if I was running a deficit.. Should I give each "trial" period say 2 weeks before I add more Calories?

Foods I typically eat
Quinoa, Tuna, Beef/Pork(not bacon), Almonds, Peanut butter, 6 eggs a day, chicken. Also have weight gainer.

My macros are all out of whack, I have to sit down and get some macro balanced meal plans together, the last 4 days have been
Protein Carbs Fat

122.5 368 59.5
211.5 491 60
111 380 26
234 291 56.5

Montre
11-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Sigh, 25 views and not a single sentence.

Should have made a troll thread instead.

Kenshinhimora
11-08-2010, 05:26 PM
i think that 3 weeks is what people usually use to judge whether or not to adjust their calories. what is ur current maintenance calories? 2500 seems lowish for a bulk

VasculAres
11-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I think everyone is different bro. I haven't done a bulk like you are but am plannin on it. Right now I'm cutting with the same mentality though. It took about 2 or 3 weeks for me to start noticing results. As long as you are going above your maintinence and lifting heavy you should eventually see results.

XxEN0xX
11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Well the way I add calories is this:

After a cut I go up 200 cals a week and weigh myself every week same day, same time and take tape measurements on different spots on my body and jot it all down till I level out on my maintanence calories. Then I keep adding 200 a week and keep taking measurements and see what kind of "weight gain" is on the scale. If my waist size is increasing too fast then either more cardio or cut calories down or both. Same token if I'm not gaining weight then either cut cardio or add calories till I see a weight gain. I shoot for about .5 weight gain a week. Something I can control more. Don't know if this works for everyone but it works for me.. Haha! I hope anyone else can chime in.

Montre
11-08-2010, 06:52 PM
i think that 3 weeks is what people usually use to judge whether or not to adjust their calories. what is ur current maintenance calories? 2500 seems lowish for a bulk

Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize most people took 3 weeks, good to know. This is my first "bulk" which is why I'm unsure, and until I can train myself to eat more its costing quite a bit in gainers, so I'm trying not to waste. Have issues putting food down =/

I'm not sure what my Maintenance should be, according to most calculators its 2200-2300ish. However, even while working (doing home renovation), and lifting the same way I am now without dieting, I wasn't losing weight, and I definitely wasn't eating anywhere near that amount. I was depressed as hell one week and managed to eat 3 eggs a day for a few days and I still didn't move.

I figured on average I only ate around 1600-1900. I used to skip breakfast all the time too.

I'll give it a few more weeks the way its going and go up from there. Thanks for the input.

Also that .5 sounds like a reasonable goal. I'm trying to avoid packing on too much excess weight so I have to spend more time cutting.

Thanks again.