PDA

View Full Version : Which Peanut Butter Brand is for me?

DavidVincent
10-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone thanks for reading, this is my first post.

In the last 4-5 months I went from weighing 198 pounds to 136. I'm 20 years old 5''7 tall. I did this by going to the gym everyday, playing my favorite sport (soccer) and eating only the healthiest foods. I havn't touched a piece of bread since I've started. Since recently I've been having very hard cravings for Peanut Butter. When I saw on some threads that Peanut butter is acctually good for athlete like myself (Workouts Mon. Wed. Fri. soccer Tues. Thurs. and game Sun. Rest Day Sat. Light living room workout Sun. night) I was thrilled... untill I realised that it's the Naturel kind that is really good for you.

One more problem, I recently moved to France. Finding peanut butter couldn't get any harder. However, I did, and I bought all of the kinds in the store to make sure to get atleast one good one. First of all, I'm still working on a little (very small) belly fat that is litterally hiding my lower abs. Would adding peanut butter to my diet hurt my results to try to get my lower abs showing? Right now I'm rockin a 4 pack but it's all on top lol. Second of all which would be the best peanut butter out of all of these brands:

1) Classic Foods of America - Peanuts 90%, sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salt, melasses, E471 emulsifiant. calories in 100g is ? (doesn't say)

2) Extra Crunchy Skippy: Roasted Peanuts 90%, Sugar, Partially hydrogenated palm oil, salt, peanut oil. calories in 100g is 630

3) Smooth Skippy: Roasted Peanuts 90%, Sugar, Partially hydrogenated palm oil, salt, peanut oil. calories in 100g is 629

4) PCD Pate D'arachide: Roasted Peanuts 96,5%, hydrogenated vegetable oil, sugar, salt. calories in 100g is 637

5) Me, pre-roasted peanuts and my magic bullet blender. Blend the s**t out of it with small doses of olive oil for consistency.

There are my options, thanks for any serious answers.

WonderPug
10-30-2010, 10:26 AM
With all due respect, if you're a 5'7" (or 5'6" as stated in your profile) male and you now weigh only 136 pounds (down from a previous 198 pounds), I believe you've lost too much weight.

That said, to answer your question, definitely #5. Hands down the winner.

TheSmack
10-30-2010, 10:53 AM
With all due respect, if you're a 5'7" (or 5'6" as stated in your profile) male and you now weigh only 136 pounds (down from a previous 198 pounds), I believe you've lost too much weight.

^ This.

The ingredient list for natural peanut butter should only say, "Peanuts" or "Peanuts and Salt". All the added hydrogenated oils and sugar are what makes it unhealthy.

OG925
10-30-2010, 11:07 AM
yeah, what they said.

NO hydrogenated oil, or partialy hydrogenated.
look for one that says natural and has about 1/2 inch of oil seperation on top of the peanut butter.

i personally use ADAMS natural chunky, or creamy.

BrettM7
10-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Skippys mmmmmmm

desslok
10-30-2010, 11:26 AM
You can make your own without oil, it just takes longer. Takes a minute and a half with oil or 10+ minutes wirthout, but you don't need it. I just turn on the food processor and go do other things and come back to it later.

TemecGuy
10-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I personally like the brand Naturally More. I buy it Wal-Mart; it has added Omega-3 and Flax Seed.

ingredients: roasted peanuts, wheat germ, flax seed, cane sugar, egg whites, honey, flaxseed oil.

for it having cane sugar and honey it only contains 2g sugar per serving (2 tbsp), and it taste sweet enough. link for more info:
http://www.naturallymore.com/nutrition.html

Oliver1987
10-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Number 5 is great, 1 - 4 are pretty much garbage. Olive oil, doesn't that taste weird ?

Also maybe some honey would taste good to ad sweetness, but get 100 % honey and not some stuff that is full of white table sugar.

TemecGuy
10-30-2010, 12:23 PM
E.V.O.O sounds like a great idea to making home made PB. Will have to try this out.

DavidVincent
10-30-2010, 01:14 PM

When I was at 198 it was all fat. I did a crazy diet. Now I'm in France playing soccer competitively and trying to build good lean muscle (especially core muscle for soccer). What weight do you think I should be at? will peanut butter help or benefit me in anyway? Can it ruin my goal to build core/abs/oblique muscle?

DavidVincent
10-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Number 5 is great, 1 - 4 are pretty much garbage. Olive oil, doesn't that taste weird ?

Also maybe some honey would taste good to ad sweetness, but get 100 % honey and not some stuff that is full of white table sugar.

Those were my thoughts. I havn't tried it but apparently you can't even taste the EVOO

DavidVincent
10-30-2010, 01:17 PM
yeah, what they said.

NO hydrogenated oil, or partialy hydrogenated.
look for one that says natural and has about 1/2 inch of oil seperation on top of the peanut butter.

i personally use ADAMS natural chunky, or creamy.

I was looking for all natural ones (even skippy has a natural blend) but in France peanut butter is one of the hardest things to find. They go ape s**t for Nutella here.

aer_vlad
10-30-2010, 01:21 PM
E.V.O.O sounds like a great idea to making home made PB. Will have to try this out.

What!?! That sounds like a nasty idea. The taste would be awful. Ugh, can't even believe people thought of this - use peanut oil.

Wait, wut? Peanut oil in peanut butter!?!

gingersliftto
10-30-2010, 01:39 PM
# 5, home made peanut butter is the best. my favorite is making almond butter, insanely good.

DavidVincent
10-30-2010, 04:43 PM
# 5, home made peanut butter is the best. my favorite is making almond butter, insanely good.

Can I make it with just a blender or with the magic bullet component? I don't have a food processor.

gingersliftto
10-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Can I make it with just a blender or with the magic bullet component? I don't have a food processor.

i dont know much about the magic blender, as long as you can run it for 8-15 minutes withought the motor burning out. Roast your peanuts before blending, makes blending time less longer.

DavidVincent
10-30-2010, 06:05 PM
i dont know much about the magic blender, as long as you can run it for 8-15 minutes withought the motor burning out. Roast your peanuts before blending, makes blending time less longer.

Ok thanks. I acctually just ordered from the USA a machine specifically made for turning peanuts into peanut butter. No need to add any oils or sugars, just straight peanuts or roasted peanuts (unsalted of course) and just between smooth and chunky, here's the link

onlineauction. com/index.php?page=auction:view_item&auction_id=1288671&title=NIB_SALTON_PEANUT_BUTTER_MACHINE

As for what I asked earlier, being 5'7 136 pounds, just I gain more weight or am I fine? and lastly will the 100% natural PB hurt in any way my chances at get my abs to show and muscling up my core?

thanks for answering everyone

desslok
10-30-2010, 06:25 PM
and lastly will the 100% natural PB hurt in any way my chances at get my abs to show and muscling up my core?

thanks for answering everyone

I've been eating 6-12 big TBSP of PB and or almond butter per day, sometimes 1000 calories from PB per day, no problems with abs showing. Cals in vs cals out.

Linkblaze
10-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I think your weight is fine for what you're doing. As a soccer player, you don't want to be carrying around a ton of muscle anyways. I'm 5'6" and trying to lose about 15 pounds which would put me at 140lbs. I estimate that's about where I'll be at 10% BF.

Sabaren
10-31-2010, 12:13 AM
5) Me, pre-roasted peanuts and my magic bullet blender. Blend the s**t out of it with small doses of olive oil for consistency.

I doubt you are getting raw peanuts to blend. Raw peanuts, like other legumes, are toxic until cooked. They are usually sold roasted, but IDK what they do in France.

5 is the best choice, just grab some peanuts and blend them up with a pinch of salt (and olive oil if you want, but it's not necessary since peanuts contain their own oils). #4 would be the second best choice, since it contains the least amount of sugar and no extra oils, it is the closest to natural. If you can find it, Jif natural peanut butter is amazing. Ingredients: Peanuts, salt.

DavidVincent
10-31-2010, 03:38 AM
I doubt you are getting raw peanuts to blend. Raw peanuts, like other legumes, are toxic until cooked. They are usually sold roasted, but IDK what they do in France.

5 is the best choice, just grab some peanuts and blend them up with a pinch of salt (and olive oil if you want, but it's not necessary since peanuts contain their own oils). #4 would be the second best choice, since it contains the least amount of sugar and no extra oils, it is the closest to natural. If you can find it, Jif natural peanut butter is amazing. Ingredients: Peanuts, salt.

I never said raw peanuts. I said pre-roasted peanuts... which I have and I unshelled and unskinned one per one. Those 4 are the only ones I can find. However N4 has hydrogenated vegetable oil. I've been told that any hydrogenated oils were bad... I convinced myself to take this brand as well as the others because of it's higher peanut concentration (96.6%). I figured the more peanuts the less added garbage. plus other than the vegetable oil there aren't any other oils... and sugar and salt are at the end of the list meaning it's the smallest concentration in that mix.