PDA

View Full Version : 3500+ cals...still hungry

Bromenclature
10-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Been on my bulk for a little over a week now

Eating mostly "clean" foods...oats, milk, PB, sweet potatoes, lean meats, lots of nuts, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit. I cheat bit with a few sugars here and there and stuff like Ben and Jerrys ... probably adds up to 600 of my total calories.

Anyways...I'm finding myself excessively hungry (chowing on Emerald Cinnamon Roasted Almonds right now). Today I probably topped 4k cals...not the end of the world but higher than I intended for sure.

I wasn't this hungry on my cut...what gives? Should I cut the sugars? Any tips?

And with my stats do you think I'd gain too much fat eating ~3500-4000 a day? I can deal with some fat...I don't get depressed if my abs go away.

6'1", 181 lb. Not a hardgainer

KouRon
10-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Generally after a cut, i find my metabolism to go fairly crazy once i begin bulking. Its like something switches in my brain and its like "EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!!!". This happened to me for the 1st week in my bulk and then slowly subsided.

Just give it time and your metabolism should calm down.

Either that or, maybe your eating too much sugar which is constantly spiking your blood sugar levels.

IronResolution
10-29-2010, 07:01 PM
At your height and weight, 3500-4,000 seems very reasonable.
You are likely accustoming yourself to the increased quantity of food.
Your body will adjust and your appetite will subside slightly in a few weeks.
Try ingesting fibrous foods (vegetables). They are low in calories but are extremely filling when eaten in quantity. Try making cauliflower mash or cabbage.

Bromenclature
10-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Generally after a cut, i find my metabolism to go fairly crazy once i begin bulking. Its like something switches in my brain and its like "EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!!!". This happened to me for the 1st week in my bulk and then slowly subsided.

Just give it time and your metabolism should calm down.

Either that or, maybe your eating too much sugar which is constantly spiking your blood sugar levels.

I don't think it's insulin spikes...I generally eat my sugars with other foods i.e. some brown sugar on my oatmeal, or a serving or two of ice cream after eating a steak and sweet potato. Wouldn't think the net glycemic load would be too high.

Your first idea is pretty interesting... it's kind of mind boggling to me that I can go from being satisfied on 1.8-2k calories (albeit low carb) to having lingering hunger with my current diet.

stacybb
10-29-2010, 07:09 PM
I experience the same thing when I change carb cycles haha :)

Z Gatrel
10-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Its just your bodys metabolism firing back up. I experience the same thing after a large cheat meal during a cut. 2 weeks will pass and I will be able to tolerate the hunger but the morning after a cheat meal its almost impossible to keep to my macros that day I get so freaking hungry.

I would keep your calories at 3500 cals for a few weeks, it will take some restraint but its better then accidentally tossing an lb or two of fat on from eating a bit too many cals just because you feel like your still hungry at the start of a bulk.

desslok
10-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Throw a lot of cruciferous veggies in, I like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts,etc. Very filling. Squash and zuchini are good too.

KouRon
10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Your first idea is pretty interesting... it's kind of mind boggling to me that I can go from being satisfied on 1.8-2k calories (albeit low carb) to having lingering hunger with my current diet.

It happens to me when i carb up. I don't know why, but when its my carb up day, i can seriously eat a whole bakery and still not be satisfied. I guess the brain just clicks or something happens were your metabolism goes crazy knowing that you can eat all these carbs with no guilt.

Usually the day after my carb up my brain seems to switch back to cutting mode and i don't get hungry at all despite going back to low cal/carb diet.

Its wierd...

vandalgirl59
10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Throw a lot of cruciferous veggies in, I like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts,etc. Very filling. Squash and zuchini are good too.

I second this...

on a side note, no WONDER I've been sooo damned hungry since upping my cals! Its like I cant stop haha