PDA

View Full Version : What is the definition of God?

tayy
10-25-2010, 05:16 AM
Let there be no misunderstanding of my intentions. This post is not an assault on Christianity or any other religion.

It is indispensable for me to look for the truth and study comparative religion because if I would like to know whether a religion is true or false, I should not depend on my emotions, feelings, or traditions. Rather, I should depend on my reason and intellect

What is the definition of God?" For a person to say there is no God, he should know what is the meaning of God.

If you think that existence as a whole has no purpose and achieves nothing, then it follows that whatever you do in life achieves exactly nothing as well - your life would contribute no value to existence.

The core of all value and purpose to existence is commonly known by the name Allah or God. He is the ultimate purpose to existence and the achievement of what is morally good equates to getting closer to Him. Allah is more than we can ever fully understand but in order to have morally good thinking it is essential to believe in Allah in some sense whatever name we use for Him.

It is also essential to reject as having any hold over us anything or anyone who asserts that a good can be achieved without it being instrumental to the purpose to existence. i.e. without it being for the sake of Allah.

OllieSA
10-25-2010, 05:26 AM
The core of all value and purpose to existence is commonly known by the name Allah or God.
Really?

tayy
10-25-2010, 05:40 AM
What is the use of wealth to a disbeliever if he feels scared of the end and skeptical of everything. A disbeliever may gain a lot of money, but will surely lose himself.

On the contrary, faith in Allah gives the believer the purpose of life that he needs. In Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah. The term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah.

The Islamic purpose of life is a standing purpose. The true Muslim sticks to this purpose throughout all the stages of his life, whether he is a child, adolescent, adult, or an old man.

So worshipping Allah makes life purposeful and meaningful, especially within the framework of Islam. According to Islam this worldly life is just a short stage of our life. Then there is the other life. The boundary between the first and second life is the death stage, which is a transitory stage to the second life. The type of life in the second stage a person deserves depends on his deeds in the first life. At the end of the death stage comes the day of judgment. On this day, Allah rewards or punishes people according to their deeds in the first life.

TimesRoman
10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
I took a comparative religion class in college once. We were assigned to read "How to think about god". It set about trying to prove the existance of god from a philosophical and logical standpoint.

If you were to read this book, I think it would answer your questions, and those you haven't even thought of yet. It is written by Mortimer Adler, and here is a link you can use to start your investigation...

http://www.amazon.com/How-Think-About-God-20th-Century/dp/0020160224

chemmech
10-25-2010, 11:08 AM
omnipotence = can create or destroy what he creates
omniprescence = has presence every where
omniscience = knows whats going on

add benevolence you have god (a being that takes care of evil and wicked and righteous people), taken benevolence away, then you have decency, The Creator...evil and wicked people being destroyed..

JamTight
10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
"God" its a name you use to rationalize wearing a robe, and molesting boy scouts etc.

chemmech
10-25-2010, 11:33 AM
god never existed in the first place... they fought and lost..

JamTight
10-25-2010, 11:39 AM
god never existed in the first place... they fought and lost..

He does exist

in the south

lol

chemmech
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
they can't figure things out.....

Queequeg
10-25-2010, 11:52 AM
What is the definition of God?" For a person to say there is no God, he should know what is the meaning of God.

My definition of god is as follows;

1)Creator of reality
2)possesses intent
3)consciousness

The core of all value and purpose to existence is commonly known by the name Allah or God. He is the ultimate purpose to existence and the achievement of what is morally good equates to getting closer to Him. Allah is more than we can ever fully understand but in order to have morally good thinking it is essential to believe in Allah in some sense whatever name we use for Him.

There are more than two names for god, Allah is one of the latest in a long line of deities.

Value is inherently related to emotion fulfillment, asking the question "why" is subject to infinite regression at the point you chose not to regress it further, this the point were you are emotionally satisfied. For Muslims this is Allah or Allah's will, for me I can simply ask Why Allah is it Allah's will and so on.

As for morality being based on alignment to God will, this attitude is subject to criticism from the euthyphro dilemma.

It is also essential to reject as having any hold over us anything or anyone who asserts that a good can be achieved without it being instrumental to the purpose to existence. i.e. without it being for the sake of Allah.

As a moral nihilist I would argue that nobody can assert good can be achieved full stop

tayy
10-26-2010, 05:15 AM
chemmech,

To say ‘there is no God’, you should at least know the concept of God. The concept of God would be derived from the surroundings in which you lives. The god that a large number of people worship has got human qualities - therefore you dont believe in such a god. Similarly most people too does not and should not believe in such false gods.

Most of the people who believe in God are doing blind belief, the majority of the people in the world are blindly following the religion of their fathers. An atheist, on the other hand, even though he may belong to a religious family, uses his intellect to deny the existence of God; what ever concept or qualities of God he may have learnt in his religion may not seem to be logical to him.

brenden87
10-26-2010, 05:16 AM
god............................................

something you worship.

DorteeClan
10-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.

wildphucker
10-26-2010, 05:25 AM
My definition of god is as follows;

1)Creator of reality
2)possesses intent
3)consciousness

This is still ambigious though, this could be a deist God, or it could be anything. It could be a pantheist God, the universe itself might be something far beyond what we can imagination and were pawns in its game, "God' could be a bunch of scientists who broke off our spacetime in a particle accelerator...etc.

But the thought of all of physical existence being based on one sort of conscious entity is too primitive imo

byrontel
10-26-2010, 06:13 AM
On the contrary, faith in Allah gives the believer the purpose of life that he needs. In Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah. The term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah.

The Islamic purpose of life is a standing purpose. The true Muslim sticks to this purpose throughout all the stages of his life, whether he is a child, adolescent, adult, or an old man.

So worshipping Allah makes life purposeful and meaningful, especially within the framework of Islam. According to Islam this worldly life is just a short stage of our life.

Do you know God has no religion?

Harbinger
10-26-2010, 06:41 AM

I'm going to neg you because I think you're an idiot. It's not personal, I neg all the idiots. I'm sure IRL you're a great guy...

Queequeg
10-26-2010, 07:23 AM
This is still ambigious though, this could be a deist God, or it could be anything. It could be a pantheist God, the universe itself might be something far beyond what we can imagination and were pawns in its game, "God' could be a bunch of scientists who broke off our spacetime in a particle accelerator...etc.

But the thought of all of physical existence being based on one sort of conscious entity is too primitive imo

Its deliberately ambigious to include to gods and types of god, if i want to refer to a praticular god then I will use its name or description.

lucious
10-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Its deliberately ambigious to include to gods and types of god, if i want to refer to a praticular god then I will use its name or description.

I agree but this gets caught up in Wittgensteinian language games- its very very likely whatever existence is supported by is not named 'God' or would even identify itself by anything.

effectively God becomes just an utterance with no meaning attached to it

chemmech
10-26-2010, 03:42 PM
chemmech,

To say ‘there is no God’, you should at least know the concept of God. The concept of God would be derived from the surroundings in which you lives. The god that a large number of people worship has got human qualities - therefore you dont believe in such a god. Similarly most people too does not and should not believe in such false gods.

Most of the people who believe in God are doing blind belief, the majority of the people in the world are blindly following the religion of their fathers. An atheist, on the other hand, even though he may belong to a religious family, uses his intellect to deny the existence of God; what ever concept or qualities of God he may have learnt in his religion may not seem to be logical to him.

your accusations don't make sense, it is what it is.....

trailwarrior
10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
1 John Chapter 4 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+John+4&version=NIV)

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.

tayy
10-27-2010, 05:49 AM
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him and he in God. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.[/QUOTE]

Question: What do you think of below sites:
The Bible Denies the Divinity of Jesus

IS THE BIBLE GODS WORD?
jamaat net
THE TRUTH ABOUT JESUS
sultan org
The Islamic and Christian views of Jesus: a comparison
soundvision

The Bible - A Closer Look!
islamtomorrow

Who Was Jesus According to Jesus?

Mary & Jesus in Quran

None of the Bible’s Writers Believed That Jesus is God

Jesus Will Descend at the End of Time

===================================

Holly Quran [3/79]

It is not (possible) that a man, to whom is given the Book, and Wisdom, and the Prophetic office, should say to people: "Be ye my worshippers rather than Allah's": on the contrary (he would say): "Be ye worshippers of Him Who is truly the Cherisher of all: for ye have taught the Book and ye have studied it earnestly."

The more I read the Qur’an, the more it struck me, deep down.

================================================== =================

Creation-worship is the greatest sin that man can commit because it contradicts the very purpose of his creation. Man was created to worship Allah alone, consequently, the worship of creation, which is the essence of idolatry, is the only unforgivable sin. One who dies in this state of idolatry has sealed his fate in the next life. This is not an opinion, but a revealed fact stated by Allah in his final revelation to man

"Verily Allah will not forgive the joining of partners with Him, but He may forgive (sins) less than that for whom so ever He wishes"(Soorah An- Nisaa 4:48 and 116)

Jesus is not a GOD
Buddha was a reformer who introduced a number of humanistic principles to the religion of India. He did not claim to be God nor did he suggest to his followers that he be an object of worship. Yet, today most Buddhists who are to be found outside of India have taken him to be God and prostrate to idols made in their perception of his likeness.

God revealed a holy book to Jesus called the Injeel, some parts of which may be still available in the teachings of God to Jesus in the New Testament. But this does not mean that the Bible we have today because it is not the original scriptures that were revealed by God. They underwent alterations, additions, and omissions. This was also said by the Committee charged with revising The Holy Bible (Revised Standard Version). This Committee consisted of thirty-two scholars who served as members of the Committee. They secured the review and counsel of an Advisory Board of fifty representatives of the co-operating denominations.

The Committee said in the Preface to The Holy Bible (Revised Standard Version), p. iv, “Sometimes it is evident that the text has suffered in transmission, but none of the versions provides a satisfactory restoration. Here we can only follow the best judgment of competent scholars as to the most probable reconstruction of the original text.

The Committee also said in the Preface, p. vii, Notes are added which indicate significant variations, additions, or omissions in the ancient authorities (Mt 9.34; Mk 3.16; 7.4; Lk 24.32, 51, etc.).

Christians take their information about Jesus from the Bible, which includes the Old and New Testaments. These contain four biblical narratives covering the life and death of Jesus. They have been written, according to tradition, respectively by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are placed at the beginning of the New Testament and comprise close to half of it.
Encyclopedia Britannica notes that "none of the sources of his life and work can be traced to Jesus himself; he did not leave a single known written word. Also, there are no contemporary accounts written of his life and death. What can be established about the historical Jesus depends almost without exception on Christian traditions, especially on the material used in the composition of the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, and Luke, which reflect the outlook of the later church and its faith in Jesus.

Queequeg
10-27-2010, 06:09 AM
I agree but this gets caught up in Wittgensteinian language games- its very very likely whatever existence is supported by is not named 'God' or would even identify itself by anything.

Well I personally think the properties I listed are the vitual components from distingusihing theism from non-theism

OllieSA
10-27-2010, 06:33 AM
He is the ultimate purpose to existence
That doesn't define what God is, as much as the role God plays.

In other words, God's purpose is to be "the ultimate purpose to existence", which doesn't tell us much.

The only characteristic or attribute of God you have suggested in your OP is that of gender. How anthropomorphic!

J_L_R
10-27-2010, 07:16 AM
DeMint started the recession

Queequeg
10-27-2010, 07:19 AM
^^wtf?

Queequeg
10-27-2010, 07:26 AM
u unaware?
HER2pGdAak

embed didn't work, but I have a brain so demint started the recession

J_L_R