PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Diet/Fasting Myths Debunked

Martin Berkhan
10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
In retrospect, I think I screwed up on the title. Many myths just happened to be connected to intermittent fasting (meal frequency, breakfast skipping, etc.). Well, live and learn.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Hope someone will find this useful.

PBateman2
10-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Agreed.

Good read. Many myths especially #6-9 in link.

To each his own:D

nick1990
10-22-2010, 10:48 AM
good article

doctapeppa
10-22-2010, 11:21 AM
in for debate :D

Sith Emperor
10-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Very good read, reps.

MikeK46
10-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Martin.

Good read to hash out the common misconceptions. However, I'd drop a disclaimer into "9. Myth: Fasted training sucks. You'll lose muscle and have no strength." In particular, regarding the part about "having no strength." From personal experience, I can barely make it to the kitchen in the morning to have breakfast, much less pick up anything heavier than 5lbs. I see it as entirely plausible that many of us will experience decreased energy and stamina if we attempt to train fasted versus fed, no to mention slower recovery between sets, a more rapid onset of fatigue, and lowered endurance, especially due to lack of carbs.

trance__dreamer
10-22-2010, 11:51 AM
informative read! :)

sums up everything i've learned on this forum over the last couple of years. :)

doctapeppa
10-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Martin.

Good read to hash out the common misconceptions. However, I'd drop a disclaimer into "9. Myth: Fasted training sucks. You'll lose muscle and have no strength." In particular, regarding the part about "having no strength." From personal experience, I can barely make it to the kitchen in the morning to have breakfast, much less pick up anything heavier than 5lbs. I see it as entirely plausible that many of us will experience decreased energy and stamina if we attempt to train fasted versus fed, no to mention slower recovery between sets, a more rapid onset of fatigue, and lowered endurance, especially due to lack of carbs.

I used to feel tired in the morning before breakfast when I was eating every 3 hours. That all went away when I started doing 16/8 and now I don't see how I could ever lift after eating again because my energy while fasted is way more than it ever was eating every few hours.

ErickStevens
10-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Fantastic work as usual.

hankst
10-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Good job!

Now finish your book, my Paypal account is shivering in anticipation...

Reidy
10-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Martin, when's the book coming out?

mynameisuntz
10-22-2010, 12:16 PM
I still wonder about fasted training. I don't buy BCAAs and I won't until I find a job (yeah I know it's not expensive to buy them, but I'm not going to, sorry).

So should I train completely fasted without ANY supplements (whether they are 0 calories or now), or down a quick whey shake prior?

ErickStevens
10-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I still wonder about fasted training. I don't buy BCAAs and I won't until I find a job (yeah I know it's not expensive to buy them, but I'm not going to, sorry).

So should I train completely fasted without ANY supplements (whether they are 0 calories or now), or down a quick whey shake prior?

Booyah.

mynameisuntz
10-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Booyah.

Gracias. That's what I have been doing.

sunngodd
10-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Definitely should be stickied for easy reference to 50% of the questions on this forum.

MikeK46
10-22-2010, 12:38 PM
I used to feel tired in the morning before breakfast when I was eating every 3 hours. That all went away when I started doing 16/8 and now I don't see how I could ever lift after eating again because my energy while fasted is way more than it ever was eating every few hours.

Sure, I know that fasted training definitely works well for some. While the article's objective is to defend IF, my point was that, while the other conclusions can be universally applied to everyone, the conclusion that "training in the fasted state does not affect your performance during weight training" can not. It is specific to the individual, especially those practicing IF. It works for guys like yourself. But certainly someone who eats every few hours and is a walking zombie before breakfast shouldn't wouldn't be able to single this advice out and perform better on an empty stomach.

zmustang
10-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Sure, I know that fasted training definitely works well for some. While the article's objective is to defend IF, my point was that, while the other conclusions can be universally applied to everyone, the conclusion that "training in the fasted state does not affect your performance during weight training" can not. It is specific to the individual, especially those practicing IF. It works for guys like yourself. But certainly someone who eats every few hours and is a walking zombie before breakfast shouldn't wouldn't be able to single this advice out and perform better on an empty stomach.

Its absolutely true that each person reacts differently to the IF diet and especially fasted training. But I can tell you, as someone who thought they would collapse on the way out the front door without a solid breakfast in me, that now I can fast all day, lift (heavy) at 3pm and feel as intense, if not more, than I did when lifting "fed."

Awesome article IMHO. I will refer all skeptical friends to this when I get those funny looks lol

nick1990
10-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Its absolutely true that each person reacts differently to the IF diet and especially fasted training. But I can tell you, as someone who thought they would collapse on the way out the front door without a solid breakfast in me, that now I can fast all day, lift (heavy) at 3pm and feel as intense, if not more, than I did when lifting "fed."

Awesome article IMHO. I will refer all skeptical friends to this when I get those funny looks lol

It's totally dependent on the person. Like the poster above, I feel like collapsing if I don't have breakfast that day. I get tired, cranky, headaches, etc

Never went longer than a week skipping breakfast, but during those 5 days, I felt horrible

Vietgoboi
10-22-2010, 01:54 PM
It's totally dependent on the person. Like the poster above, I feel like collapsing if I don't have breakfast that day. I get tired, cranky, headaches, etc

Never went longer than a week skipping breakfast, but during those 5 days, I felt horrible

Take about 2 weeks or so for adaptation & for those hunger pains to go away.

Be more persistence~

beaul
10-22-2010, 02:01 PM

I assume you were compensating for those missed calories later in the day?

IrishPilot
10-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Repped for a good read.

racindude52
10-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Liked the article! great job! I'm going for my RD now, just finished the Bachelors degree in May. I'm Very open minded though ;)

Most of the RD's I work with have the typical white lab coat, chubby wrists, and waddle down the halls... a pure shame to the occupation :(

SupaaJ
10-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Loved it, thanks for taking the time to increase knowledge in our dogmatic community Martin. Much appreciated.

SipNPiz
10-22-2010, 03:33 PM
cliffs please that report is like 10 pgaes

Tommy510
10-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Great post martin! very informative

zmustang
10-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Did you read the article?
I totally understand the preference of eating breakfast over not eating it. I was a believer! but the reasons you stated are pretty much the exact reasons that are "debunked" in this article.

zmustang
10-22-2010, 03:48 PM
cliffs please that report is like 10 pgaes

Basically, don't take mens health too seriously lol.

SupaaJ
10-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Basically, don't take mens health too seriously lol.

Or, for the non mentally-challenged, Martin has bold bullet points for each of the 10 items. Whalla, 'cliffs notes."

redatomsk
10-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Nice read as always

trance__dreamer
10-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Or, for the non mentally-challenged, Martin has bold bullet points for each of the 10 items. Whalla, 'cliffs notes."

http://www.loscabosguide.com/voila/voila-logo-3.jpg
:D

Zelda55
10-22-2010, 06:22 PM
honestly, the brilliance in martin's leangains approach isn't the idea of intermittent fasting...that concept is elementary enough and has existed for ages. what makes martin's protocol so valuable is that he supports it with rigorous research as well as anecdotal evidence and so adeptly outlines the benefits in ways that bridge the gap between nutritional experts and the average joe. although i could have decided to fast without the leangains approach, the information provided on martin's site almost acts as a placebo for me in trusting in a specific procedure and seeing it through so that i don't overanalyze whether i'm losing muscle, etc. it teaches you the virtues of patience and ends up being greatly rewarding for those who are comfortable with a measured, methodical approach rather than the get-rich-quick way.

K-Dawg_05
10-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks, Martin.

I've trained fasted since i've started 5 years ago...from 120-190... just repped out 420 on deads 5am fasted this morning.....just takes time to readjust if your not used to it.

Tommy510
10-22-2010, 08:00 PM
honestly, the brilliance in martin's leangains approach isn't the idea of intermittent fasting...that concept is elementary enough and has existed for ages. what makes martin's protocol so valuable is that he supports it with rigorous research as well as anecdotal evidence and so adeptly outlines the benefits in ways that bridge the gap between nutritional experts and the average joe. although i could have decided to fast without the leangains approach, the information provided on martin's site almost acts as a placebo for me in trusting in a specific procedure and seeing it through so that i don't overanalyze whether i'm losing muscle, etc. it teaches you the virtues of patience and ends up being greatly rewarding for those who are comfortable with a measured, methodical approach rather than the get-rich-quick way.
when I first started getting serious into lifting and nutrition (about half a year ago) I was doing the 6 meals a day thing which felt like hell.... started reading about IF and it fit my schedule really well, so i decided to try it since 6 a day wasn't cuttin it. one of the best decisions i made toward training and nutrition

mynameisuntz
10-22-2010, 08:03 PM
when I first started getting serious into lifting and nutrition (about half a year ago) I was doing the 6 meals a day thing which felt like hell.... started reading about IF and it fit my schedule really well, so i decided to try it since 6 a day wasn't cuttin it. one of the best decisions i made toward training and nutrition

I always say IF'ing is the best decision I made since adjusting my diet for 1 gram protein per pound LBM :D

CarlGN
10-22-2010, 08:11 PM
very good read! thanks!

spak
10-22-2010, 08:32 PM
good read as always. I already read it earlier, I think someone posted this is a bro thread, can't remember when though lol :D

mneugeba
10-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Just read the article over on leangains.com - and decided I'd make sure it found it's way to the bb.com forums...

Looks like the man himself provided the links ... so I guess that's it then.

Great article, I hope everyone who is up to their ears in skeptics (like me) can leverage the knowledge Martin shared.