PDA

View Full Version : Clean bulk....too many LBS too soon.....

maximusAF
10-21-2010, 08:12 AM
I posted earlier about looking for samples of 40 / 40 / 20 diets around 3000 calories. Here is the reason why....

I've been on a clean bulk diet for about two weeks now, and it seems that I'm gaining too much fat already. My body fat % is going up and I've gained about 4 pounds in about two weeks.

Either I need to eat cleaner, or trim the calories down some.

I'm in my second week of All Pro's routine, so next week is when that routine really starts getting intense.

I'm not doing any cardio, but I'm doing a full-body routine three days a week. I honestly figured I'd need a good bit more than 3000 calories to gain weight.

SupaaJ
10-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks.
Too much of it fat.
Not doing any cardio.

Hmmmm??

Cut cals by 200 per day and insert 20 minutes of steady state cardio post lifting. (or do 30 minutes on the days off from the gym).

Despite what all the 'get HYOOGE brah!' guys say, 1.5 hours of cardio a WEEK is only going to make your system run smoother and make putting on lean tissue easier in the long haul.

Please, don't mention 'cleaner' diet around here. If you're eating 3 grand a day and getting fat, eat less than 3 grand. I don't care how.

adamg8504
10-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Just because you are eating "clean" doesn't mean you can't gain fat. When people say they are "clean" bulking, it just means they are eating foods that are not very processed and loaded with a ton a chemicals.

The rate at which you gain mass (fat) is going to be determined by your caloric intake not how "clean" your diet is.

watermelon_2001
10-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Any possibility it could just be due to water retention from the increase in carbs, filling out of glycogen stores and just plain ol' actual food weight?

csb5731
10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Any possibility it could just be due to water retention from the increase in carbs, filling out of glycogen stores and just plain ol' actual food weight?

I was wondering the same. For me this is certainly the case when I am on a chronic 350g + carbs/day. I've got paranoid a couple times now on my current bulk that I was getting fat, but then I cut back to maintenance and ~200g carbs for a couple days, and then suddenly three pounds and the bloat was gone. And I wonder what I'd been worrying about.

MajorTwang
10-21-2010, 10:51 AM
My body fat % is going up and I've gained about 4 pounds in about two weeks.

On 3k a day, you are unlikely to have gained 4lb of fat.

Most of this is liver glycogen. When your normal carb storage depot are full, your liver turns incoming carbs into glycogen, which is bound with quite a bit of water & distributed through the whole of the abdominal cavity. This is the 'carb bloat' that can suddenly hit you if you eat even a moderate amount of carbs on a full load of glycogen. It's anything up to 5lb in weight, and it's very transient. Your resting metabolism will burn through it overnight.

If you get used to having this extra carbage in your gut, you start to feel hungry when it fades away, and this is the viscous cycle that most fat people are in.

maximusAF
10-21-2010, 12:46 PM
I was wondering the same. For me this is certainly the case when I am on a chronic 350g + carbs/day. I've got paranoid a couple times now on my current bulk that I was getting fat, but then I cut back to maintenance and ~200g carbs for a couple days, and then suddenly three pounds and the bloat was gone. And I wonder what I'd been worrying about.

Yeah, I think I'm going to cut back closer to maintenance for a few days and see what happens. I'm still trying to determine exactly what my maintenance is anyway.

maximusAF
10-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Also, would it help any to just eat "high carbs" on my 3 workout days, rather than every day?