PDA

View Full Version : Question about the thermic effect of food.

Deodand
10-20-2010, 06:16 PM
I was wondering about the TEF with liquids in particular. Do liquids count? Does water and other liquids count with the TEF? Just wondering. Thanks for reading.

TheSmack
10-20-2010, 06:37 PM
I would assume so. My understanding is that, it is based on the amount of energy required to break down each macronutrient in your daily calorie consumption. So if you drank for example a glass of orange juice, it would take a certain amount of energy to break down the carbs and protein in it?

I have also read that drinking 8 glasses of ice water a day can burn up to an extra 200 calories per day, because the body has to increase its temperature to warm the liquid before it can be absorbed. But whether this is bro science or not, I'm not 100%.

chrisziggy
10-20-2010, 06:55 PM
I have also read that drinking 8 glasses of ice water a day can burn up to an extra 200 calories per day, because the body has to increase its temperature to warm the liquid before it can be absorbed. But whether this is bro science or not, I'm not 100%.

meh.. the metabolic response or "diet induced thermogenesis" to food definitely causes an increase in ur body's energy expenditure, but its not even closely as ranked to your basal metabolic rate, energy expenditure for workin out, or even your body's thermoregulation in terms of kcals burned.... water does not have this affect, it just kind of floats along until it reaches the large intestine. the only interaction i can think of with the body's metabolism is its help in breaking down food so it can pass through the GI walls and have nutrients delivered to cells. drinking cold water won't burn any extra calories, though it has a host of other important other functions.