PDA

View Full Version : Did you know? CFB vs NFL edition

Fastforward7
10-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Every time a really dominant CFB team come onto the scene, such as Bama this year, the age old stupid question arises. Would (insert current great CFB team here) beat the worst NFL team? The obvious answer is no, current great CFB team would get raped. Why? Because the worst NFL team is still a collection of the top CFB talent combined with years of pro level training and experience.

Did you know? During the years of 1934 and 1976 the an exhibition game was put on every summer in which the current NFL champs played a CFB All-Star team. The record? NFL 31-11. The perfect 72 Dolphins, for example, blew their opponents out in a 14-3 rout.

Obviously the era's are a bit different but no matter what era it is this is still the best of CFB as grown men with years of NFL experience playing against college kids.

Mind = blown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_All-Star_Game

Shangius
10-04-2010, 12:57 AM
I did know this and the talent gap wasn't nearly as wide back then. I mean the average lineman on the Dolphins was about 250lbs.

hooray for wikipedia

Fastforward7
10-04-2010, 01:06 AM
I did know this and the talent gap wasn't nearly as wide back then. I mean the average lineman on the Dolphins was about 250lbs.

hooray for wikipedia

Lol, I actually saw this on the Rivals board. I can't believe I'd never heard of this. As to your other point I'm not sure why the talent gap between college and pro would be any wider or narrower than it is today. Who can say though. I wasn't even born until 5 years after the last of these games was played so I certainly don't know.

What really blows my mind is that it's an NFL championship team over an all-star squad. I don't put a lot of faith in all-star teams, especially in football. I'd take the Super Bowl champs over a Pro Bowl team any day of the week.

fly4navy117
10-04-2010, 05:53 AM
I would be surprised if the college team got 50 yards of offense and gave up less than 600 to any NFL team. Anyone who thinks differently, just go look at any NFL starter and look at his accomplishments. They are on par or better than every resume on the college team's roster. The RBs would be getting hit in the backfield and having to overcome a swarm of defenders, QB would have no time to throw into a tighter window and the receiver would be going up against more polished DB than they have ever faced. There is just absolutely no way it would even be close. Exact opposite when the NFL team was on offense. It would be holes galore for the RB and all the time in the world for an NFL QB to find the gap in the defense. It would be like 35-0 before the half.

If you could pick and choose each of the college players from across the country and gave them an NFL coaching staff to coach them up, then you would be looking at a comparable team. The talent and experience gap is just too much. Every first rounder talks about adjusting to the speed of the game and how much faster the NFL is.

Human Rocket
10-04-2010, 06:35 AM
To highjack the thread a little bit, back in the 50s /early 60s NFL teams played CFL teams in exhibition games 11 times. CFL team won once.

http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/Candian_Football_League_vs_National_Football_Leagu e.htm

Not likely something that will ever happen again.

charity4thepoor
10-04-2010, 06:41 AM
14-3 is not a blow out

Fastforward7
10-04-2010, 08:35 AM
14-3 is not a blow out

Is this your first experience with sarcasm?

charity4thepoor
10-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Is this your first experience with sarcasm?

i assumed u copied and pasted that from wikipedia

sorry

stevedarsh
10-04-2010, 08:50 AM
how about the 2010 alabama crimson tide vs the 2008 detroit lions. keep in mind the 2008 lions had basically 0 bonafide NFL starters on the team.

=T Bone=
10-04-2010, 09:03 AM
how about the 2010 alabama crimson tide vs the 2008 detroit lions. keep in mind the 2008 lions had basically 0 bonafide NFL starters on the team.

01 canes would get **** on by 08 lions.

motivatedd
10-04-2010, 09:15 AM

McElroy would still throw 4 picks.

stevedarsh
10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
McElroy would still throw 4 picks.

but McElroy has never lost a game

fly4navy117
10-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Here is the 2010 Detroit Lions depth chart. They are 0-4 and last in the NFC North. They are just 2 years removed from an 0-16 season. Many would argue that they are the worst team in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/det/formation/4-3-defense

Here is the 2010 Alabama Crimson Tide depth chart:

http://alabama.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp?teKey=2

Just look at the Alabama O line vs the Lions D line and explain to me how you think they would get a first down, let alone win a football game. Just for fun, you can mentally add those juniors who left early for the NFL.

This entire line of thinking is beyond stupid. The talent gap in just too much.

=T Bone=
10-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Here is the 2010 Detroit Lions depth chart. They are 0-4 and last in the NFC North. They are just 2 years removed from an 0-16 season. Many would argue that they are the worst team in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/det/formation/4-3-defense

Here is the 2010 Alabama Crimson Tide depth chart:

http://alabama.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp?teKey=2

Just look at the Alabama O line vs the Lions D line and explain to me how you think they would get a first down, let alone win a football game. Just for fun, you can mentally add those juniors who left early for the NFL.

This entire line of thinking is beyond stupid. The talent gap in just too much.

Nfl teams would rape, I dont know why we have this discussion all the time on here lol

For college team to win, you would have to put a current cfbt against a past Nfl team. It would be neat if there was a site that compared nfl/college rosters through different time spans. I'd love to see what sizes nfl teams averaged on the lines in the 80's-mid 90's

fly4navy117
10-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Nfl teams would rape, I dont know why we have this discussion all the time on here lol

For college team to win, you would have to put a current cfbt against a past Nfl team. It would be neat if there was a site that compared nfl/college rosters through different time spans. I'd love to see what sizes nfl teams averaged on the lines in the 80's-mid 90's

That might be a decent comparison. The talent gap would be a lot more marginalized because of the improvements in strength training. I think the people that actually think a game today would be a decent match up have no idea about football. The amount of work NFL players put in is unreal.

=T Bone=
10-04-2010, 10:45 AM
That might be a decent comparison. The talent gap would be a lot more marginalized because of the improvements in strength training. I think the people that actually think a game today would be a decent match up have no idea about football. The amount of work NFL players put in is unreal.

I remember reading the 72 dolphins height/weight average was like 6-1-210. So much has changed with training/conditioning hell just plain size (steroids in the fast food :D ) past nfl teams would have a very hard time doing anything against current cfb teams. Theres current teams with LB cores that are just as or almost as big as past offensive lines.

Fastforward7
10-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Those improvements in training programs and nutrition apply to NFL and CFB players though. Trent Richardson is as fine of a physical specimen as you'll find anywhere in the NFL. He just doesn't have the years of NFL experience. I think that's the main factor in the talent gap. More so than any physical factor at least. At least at the skill positions that is. For linemen it's another story.

fly4navy117
10-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Those improvements in training programs and nutrition apply to NFL and CFB players though. Trent Richardson is as fine of a physical specimen as you'll find anywhere in the NFL. He just doesn't have the years of NFL experience. I think that's the main factor in the talent gap. More so than any physical factor at least. At least at the skill positions that is. For linemen it's another story.

I'm saying between the NFL of the 60-70s and the CFB teams of today there has been a lot of S&C improvement.

Mac_xX
10-04-2010, 11:57 AM
August 31, 1934 College All-Stars 0 Chicago Bears 0 79,432

the f*ck?