PDA

View Full Version : Weight/Bodyfat Scales???

StKizzle
10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
So been thinking of purchasing one of these to have a good way of tracking my progress. Wondering what you guys think would be a solid product for a good price? Right now I have my eyes set on the ozeri touch digital bathroom scale. Measures weight, bf, hydration, and bone mass. What do you guys think? (costs about $40)

EDIT: was not sure where to post this thread, just figured the nutrition section would know a thing or two about it. Thx guys...reps given.

LightForce
10-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Body Calipers are the cheapest/easiest for the measure BF%

The most accurate and all encompasing measurement is the DEXA scan - tells you everything from Bone density to BF% to grams on muscle in each limb....

StKizzle
10-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Body Calipers are the cheapest/easiest for the measure BF%

The most accurate and all encompasing measurement is the DEXA scan - tells you everything from Bone density to BF% to grams on muscle in each limb....

Is that something you'd have to go to a doctor for? Always wanted to do that water thing but have never known who I could go to for that. Thx though.

LightForce
10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Not a doctor, just a cardio research lab... My university has one as well as the hydrostatic weighing machine (water thing). Wish I could tell you where to find one, just search DEXA scan in your area and you should find one close. For an outsider off the street your looking around $80. But this tells you everything, if your interested in knowing about your body comp, thats the way to go and is considered the "gold standard" now. Its basically an MRI but for body comp purposes.

PowerToWeight
10-03-2010, 01:11 AM
I think they (scales with BF%) are excellent tools as long as the user realises the values they give are highly hydration-dependent.

I use a set of scales that report me as ~11% BF, a set of budget handheld that report me as ~18% and the ones in the gym (also handheld, but much better than mine) that report ~7%.

Just remember to use them at the same time of day and to treat the value as relative, rather than absolute.

StKizzle
10-03-2010, 11:26 AM
I think they (scales with BF%) are excellent tools as long as the user realises the values they give are highly hydration-dependent.

I use a set of scales that report me as ~11% BF, a set of budget handheld that report me as ~18% and the ones in the gym (also handheld, but much better than mine) that report ~7%.

Just remember to use them at the same time of day and to treat the value as relative, rather than absolute.

Exactly why I wanted one. I realized it wasn't going to be exact and in some cases way off. But I'm sure if I keep the time of day the same and have the same routine then I could atleast get an idea of the progress. Thx man.