PDA

View Full Version : Help a busy college kid out and check my diet please lol

itsshizzlee1
09-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Alright so its my freshman year of college and I have a meal plan. The food served is reasonable, but sometimes is straight up gross. I dont have a "fixed" diet because they change up the meals every day but in general this is what my diet looks like (btw I am bulking, been training seriously for about 5-6 months and looking to make some big gains this semester. My current supplement stack is: pre workout- green mag/white flood, intro-introfuse tastes and smells like taint, post - dark matter/myofusion/food/sleep)

Breakfast, this generally is the same every day
Scrambled Eggs
Some form of potato (cubed, hash browns, etc)
Some form of meat (bacon, sausage)
Oatmeal
Fruit (usually an apple)
Sometimes yogurt/granola

Lunch (depends what day it is and what dining hall im near its a BIG campus)
Usually its some form of roast turkey/pork/beef
Mashed potatoes
Vegetable Medley
If there isnt anything good for lunch there is always the sandwich station where I usually get turkey on whole wheat bread, sometimes two they are small.

Dinner
Always a toss up. Ive gone in and they will be serving anything from catfish to steak. Again, there is always the sandwich station AND a stir fry station so I usually have that if Im not liking what I see. Also for lunch/dinner they always have hamburgers/cheeseburgers. They are always a last resort and if I do I just eat the patty and leave the bun. Also, it does not look like it but there is always some sort of vegetable you can get so I think I am good there.

Didnt include it and Im late for class but I have a shake the first thing when I wake up and the last thing before I go to bed. So what does everyone think? I know it is hard because it is not a fixed diet and itd be easier if I cooked myself but I payed for this meal plan with MY money and I intend to use it as much as I can. Plus the way my class schedule is I have time to eat the big three meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) but not a whole lot of time to stop in for in between snacks although I usually always have something to eat on me. I also drink plenty of water. Thanks.

cmeis90
09-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Looks like you're doing pretty well provided you have limited and changing choices. Only way to know though is knowing the calories and macros of the food you're eating. Some of the items are pretty standard and you can probably find the nutrition info online, but obviously a few of the items are kind of a shot in the dark.

matthew3881
09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm in college as well. Seems like your meal plan is for 3 a day. Mine's for 2, so I'm able to control my diet a bit more. If I were you I'd get my hands on a food scale and try to eat smaller, more frequent meals.

Also, it seems like your diet is high in saturated fat. This is unavoidable because of your meat choices (pork, beef, etc.). Keeping this in mind, I'd make breakfast a lower fat meal since if you wake up slightly earlier and have access to a fridge, you can make a homemade (or dorm-made) breakfast that you can control. Avoid the fatty cut meat like the bacon and pork in favor of other protein sources since youre already getting some fat in the scrambled eggs (go for skim milk, egg whites, whey protein, etc.)

It depends on your goals but it seems caloric and saturated fat intake is too high for weight loss. Hard to say how many calories over maintenance youre eating at because there's so many variables, but if bulking is your goal this is probably adequate. Again I'd just watch your intake of saturated fats and nitrates (pork, bacon, sausage are all culprits and shouldnt be a regular staple in your diet) as these are tied to heart disease and overall poor cardiovascular health

itsshizzlee1
10-01-2010, 09:41 AM
thanks for all the input. i will def cut out some of those high sat fat items. i also went on the dining services website and they post what will be served a day ahead and post all macro info which makes everything ALOT easier lol

VTRunner
10-01-2010, 09:47 AM
thanks for all the input. i will def cut out some of those high sat fat items. i also went on the dining services website and they post what will be served a day ahead and post all macro info which makes everything ALOT easier lol

Do you go to Virginia Tech? We have the same thing available online. I only eat dinner at the dining halls but it definitely comes in handy to be able to look up the macros.

itsshizzlee1
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
nah brah i go to ASU, probably have similar food service companies tho