PDA

View Full Version : Missed Out Meals During The Day

Bscape
09-30-2010, 08:16 AM
I try to eat 6meals a day, but sometimes my routine gets out of hand.

I eat breakfast, eat snack, sometimes lunch. Then during that time I'm too busy to eat anything. I'm just wondering at the end can you eat all those meals at once to make up for it? Will it still be the same as eating 6 meals a day at set times?

ChrisMTL
09-30-2010, 08:19 AM

I eat breakfast, eat snack, sometimes lunch. Then during that time I'm too busy to eat anything. I'm just wondering at the end can you eat all those meals at once to make up for it? Will it still be the same as eating 6 meals a day at set times?

Not really the same thing...... have you tried protein shakes? I'm supper busy at work also and shakes and very easy/fast to take. I keep them in my backpack next to my desk.

ian0789
09-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Cal's are cal's, it means nothing on what time of the day you eat them. If you miss a meal just combo it with an other or go dig into the PB jar to hit some easy calories.

jenmendez89
09-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Eating 1 meal a day is no different than eating multiple meals. Its all about personal preference.

stinger911
09-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Eating 1 meal a day is no different than eating multiple meals. Its all about personal preference.

Uh, what?

Everything I've ever read states that multiple meals (6 a day ideally) is better because it keeps your metabolism burning hot. If you eat one meal a day, you are spiking your insulin levels, which can lead to your body storing fat.

jenmendez89
09-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Uh, what?

Everything I've ever read states that multiple meals (6 a day ideally) is better because it keeps your metabolism burning hot. If you eat one meal a day, you are spiking your insulin levels, which can lead to your body storing fat.

Um I think u need to pick up a different book

Skizoman
09-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Uh, what?

This. I guess it depends on your goals but having multiple smaller meals instead of one monster meal will keep you burning calories at a higher rate.

ChrisMTL
09-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Uh, what?

correct :)

jenmendez89
09-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Obviously no one is reading the stickies...

MajorTwang
09-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Uh, what?

It's complete broscience. It's up there with shaping exercises & spot reduction.

Frequent eating does NOT keep the metabolism running faster at all. All you are doing is making yourself a slave to your stomach every 2.5 hours.

You also don't need to keep constantly trickling amino acids into your muscles either. Longer gaps between feeds do cause the body to start taking protein out of muscles, but it also increases insulin sensitivity so that when protein does arrive, more gets soaked up. The net result is no difference whatsoever.

Check out www.leangains.com, and see how many people are getting great results going for 16hrs a day without food, then eating 2 or 3 big meals.

matthew3881
09-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Cal's are cal's, it means nothing on what time of the day you eat them. If you miss a meal just combo it with an other or go dig into the PB jar to hit some easy calories.

It must be true. Look at this guy he weighs 145 lbs.. clearly hes doing something right

Jorge0886
09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Um I think u need to pick up a different book

hahaha!

Agreed.

Take a look at my blog for example. I eat one meal a day, for example, and I'll be updating with new pics next week you'll be able to tell a big difference I'm telling you now.

http://jorgesforte.wordpress.com

ChrisMTL
09-30-2010, 08:50 AM

Well, your only 19 so you have some time to waste.... try 6 months of only 1 meal/day and then 6 months of 6 smaller meals /day and then compare notes.

somanytoes
09-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Uh, what?

...the 6 meals a day for increased metabolism has been proven to be false. the thermic effect of food(TEF) remains the same if total kcals and final macrocomposition of intake is the same regardless of how many meals u take to achieve it in the day.
take a look at this article by lyle: ww.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html (short of a w in front since i'm not yet allowed to post links)

quoting lyle: "Say we have two people, both eating the same 3000 calories per day from identical macronutrients. One eats 6 meals of 500 calories/meal while the other eats 3 meals of 1000 calories/meal and we’ll assume a TEF of 10%. So the first will have a TEF of 50 calories (10% of 500) 6 times/day. The second will have a TEF of 100 calories (10% of 1000 calories) 3 times/day. Well, 6X50 = 300 calories/day and 3X100 = 300 calories/day. There’s no difference."

hope this helps!

Skizoman
09-30-2010, 08:52 AM
hahaha!

Agreed.

Take a look at my blog for example. I eat one meal a day, for example, and I'll be updating with new pics next week you'll be able to tell a big difference I'm telling you now.

And you don't ingest anything else throughout the day save liquids?

MajorTwang
09-30-2010, 09:04 AM
It must be true. Look at this guy he weighs 145 lbs.. clearly hes doing something right

This is how broscience works - you believe the stuff that the biggest & most ripped guy in the gym says & completely disregard stuff said by anyone smaller than you, regardless of whether it's actually true or not.

stinger911
09-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Hm, from what I understand about the 6 meals a day thing, it's not necessarily related to the thermic effect of food.

It's more related to your body knowing that it always has food -- an evolutionary characteristic.

Back in caveman era, food was not always available. Going without food for hours at a time put the body into fat storage mode in case no buffalo were roaming around that day.

If your body has access to food round the clock (six times), then your body is never signaled into fat storage mode, thus keeping the metabolism hotter.

The body is very smart. You might consciously know that you have 1 big meal coming up, but does your body know that? No. So it goes into fat storage mode. If you keep feeding your body in 2-3 hour intervals, then it never has a reason to store fat, because you're proving that food is on hand (buffalo are running around in the area).

I'm no expert, but this is what I understand from reading various nutrition books from reputable authors...this is not "broscience."

That said, if what you're doing is working, more power to you. I've personally tried both ways due to the logistics of my life forcing me to. For me personally, eating frequently results in me being less hungry and burning fat at a more rapid rate.

ian0789
09-30-2010, 09:14 AM
So Broscience was dated back in the Caveman Era?

Eat 1 meal eat 8 meals eat 26 meals a day. It will not boost your metabolism. If you think it does then do it. Also why do people ask for help on forums but yet just keep to there one sided idea's

Jorge0886
09-30-2010, 09:28 AM
And you don't ingest anything else throughout the day save liquids?

Correct. It fits my schedule and I like the idea of fasting throughout the day for more than one reason. I can wake up a little later and just get ready and go to work. I can come home and go straight to the gym. I don't have to take lunch at work. I feel like it's also a mental workout and help me strengthen my mentality.

I drink up to or over a gallon of water while at work. 3.5-4 liters, maybe 2 cups of coffee, and some sugar free gum :)

The Big Sleep
09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
If you keep feeding your body in 2-3 hour intervals, then it never has a reason to store fat, because you're proving that food is on hand (buffalo are running around in the area).

Uhhhh what? :confused:

Here, get over the nonsense: http://www.leangains.com

Jorge0886
09-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Stinger, I don't mean this personally at all, but you're thought process is just ridiculous.

MajorTwang
09-30-2010, 10:00 AM
It's more related to your body knowing that it always has food -- an evolutionary characteristic.

Back in caveman era, food was not always available. Going without food for hours at a time put the body into fat storage mode in case no buffalo were roaming around that day.

If your body has access to food round the clock (six times), then your body is never signaled into fat storage mode, thus keeping the metabolism hotter.

The body is very smart. You might consciously know that you have 1 big meal coming up, but does your body know that? No. So it goes into fat storage mode. If you keep feeding your body in 2-3 hour intervals, then it never has a reason to store fat, because you're proving that food is on hand (buffalo are running around in the area).

It's a nice theory, which has been talked about so much that even clinical nutritionists will sometimes tell you this. But it suffers from one fundamental flaw.

It's bollocks.

Your body goes into 'fat storage' mode when you digest food. Anything that isn't needed for energy or to replenish glycogen goes into storage, to be released later when energy needs outstrip the supply of incoming.

High insulin levels shut off the release of fat from adipose tissue, because fat needs to go the other way - into the fat cells. If carbs are coming in faster than they are being burned & glycogen levels are topped up, the body needs to get the sugar out of your blood, because if blood sugar goes to high, it can kill you. Where else are the excess carbs going to go ? Are you going to start sweating out sugar ?

Once the supply of calories from the digestive system runs out, the body cannot possibly go into fat storage mode, because there is nothing to store. It needs to start releasing glucose & fat from storage, not squirreling it away for later.

Our bodies evolved in caveman days when the supply of food was extremely erratic. Sometimes it was an antelope a week, all eaten in one day & then hunger. Sometimes it was a constant supply of fruit & nuts. We can cope just as well with both.

Over a long timeframe, if the supply of calories is less than the needs, your body will downregulate it's metabolic rate to prevent weight loss, and upregulate it if there is excess. But it [b]will not[b] up or downregulate your metabolism over a day according to meal frequency.

I'm no expert, but this is what I understand from reading various nutrition books from reputable authors...this is not "broscience."

It is now, because it's now know to be not true. People accepted the theory 30years ago because it made sense, but it never had any real evidence behind it. It's now been scientifically demonstrated to be not true.

You still see 'reputable nutritionists' pushing low fat diets & telling fat people to eat more bread & potatoes. The head of the Dietetics department at the hospital where I work tells me that any more than 70g of protein a day is damaging my kidneys & causing osteoporosis.

That said, if what you're doing is working, more power to you. I've personally tried both ways due to the logistics of my life forcing me to. For me personally, eating frequently results in me being less hungry and burning fat at a more rapid rate.

That said, I don't follow intermittent fasting either. I eat 4 or 5 meals a day because I generally get hungry after 3-4 hours regardless of how much I ate. Some people find 6-7 meals works better for them because it regulates their hunger & appetite, and therefore their overall calorie intake. Others find it a bind. The two things it definitely isn't doing is upregulating your metabolism to any significant degree, and feeding your muscles better.

Small frequent meals isn't wrong - it's just no better or worse than big infrequent meals.

ironwill2008
09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
The broscience in this thread is overwhelming.

For those of you who think it's necessary to eat constantly, as opposed to eating all your food in a few meals, do yourselves a favor, and Google "Alan Aragon." Read anything/everything with his name on it. And then pull your nutritional knowledge away from the muscle mags and bad info on this site, and out of the 90's.

retiredrunner
09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Well, now I don't feel so bad about not eating through 10+ hour shifts at work now. lol

Zarazen
09-30-2010, 03:23 PM
It's complete broscience. It's up there with shaping exercises & spot reduction.

Frequent eating does NOT keep the metabolism running faster at all. All you are doing is making yourself a slave to your stomach every 2.5 hours.

You also don't need to keep constantly trickling amino acids into your muscles either. Longer gaps between feeds do cause the body to start taking protein out of muscles, but it also increases insulin sensitivity so that when protein does arrive, more gets soaked up. The net result is no difference whatsoever.

Check out www.leangains.com, and see how many people are getting great results going for 16hrs a day without food, then eating 2 or 3 big meals.

I completely agree with this.

Get your calories in when you can between the time you wake and go to bed. Now on a personal level, I eat 8 times a day :) I just love eating and it feels good knowing my next meal is only 2 hours away.