PDA

View Full Version : Is it alright to have 90% of your daily food through shakes?

lUnknown
09-29-2010, 01:13 AM
like make a huge batch for the day consisting of like 8 scoops of protein, 5 cups of oats, 7-8 tablespoons of natural peanut butter / strawberry etc?

going to basically have 3500 of my calories from the shake throughout the day.

thinking of just doing this for a while on a bulk but i'd still eat a meal consisiting of rice/2chickensbreasts/veggies

well i notice a difference between this and whole foods? will much change? main reason im gonna be doing this is because im literally sick of food at this point being stuffing down my throat for a month and just the sight of food puts me in disgust x_x

(post 9 i made my question clearer.. )

MightyMouse84
09-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Thats doesnt sound too good at all brah.... You need solid meals n ****. Having all those shakes in liquid will have you sh|tting through the eye of a needle too. Doenst sound like youre going to get all your nutrients n minerals through one solid meal and a bunch of shakes.

lUnknown
09-29-2010, 01:20 AM
don't mind about the sh!t lol. nutrients shouldn't be much different.. the only difference doing this is the fact that for my first meal of the day and my last meal of the day i wouldn't be eating that.. which is a 12inch sandwich stuffed with ridiculous amount of cheese/4 thin slices of turkey and tomato... that's basically all im missing.

my normal days atm were what i said above for meal 1 and 5.

meal 2 is 2 scoops of protein, meal 3 is 2 chickens/rice meal 4 is 2scoops of protein

i got to be on a bulk for another 12 weeks so i really need to figure out something that will make it easier to get through the day and this is all i came up with lol unless i eat junkfood ><

MightyMouse84
09-29-2010, 01:27 AM
rice, chicken, fish, lean red meat.... cook, eat, repeat.

Whats so hard? im cooking up chicken every night for meals next day. Dedication you gotta show to put on dem gainz brah.

lUnknown
09-29-2010, 01:32 AM
rice, chicken, fish, lean red meat.... cook, eat, repeat.

Whats so hard? im cooking up chicken every night for meals next day. Dedication you gotta show to put on dem gainz brah.

dun eat fish... eat lots of chicken though i cant eat more than 2 chicken breasts a day anymore .. my daily intake is/was this

Meal 1 -- 10:00 AM

12 inch subway wheat filled with tomatoes, 4 thin slices of turkey and FILLED the **** out of with mozzarella cheese so i can eat this without throwing up but its getting old fast..

total is probably around 1400 calories 50 protein
-------------

Meal 2 -- 1:00 PM

2 scoops of blend protein(myofusion) 50grams protein 300 calories

-----------

Meal 3 -- 4:00 PM

2 Chicken Breasts and around 3 scoops of brown rice, veggies included..

guessing around 50-60g of protein not sure on carbs because the rice serving is always different.

------

Meal 4 @ 9ish PM

2 scoops of blend protein(myofusion) 50 grams protein post workout. 300 calories

-----

meal 5 @ around 11PM

Same meal as 1. ( I literally want to throw up at this last meal.. )

tacohen
09-29-2010, 02:15 AM
It sounds like you don't want advice, you just want the answer your looking for. So I will give it to you. Drink your protein shakes, you will live. If you want to do it the right/healthy way, eat lots of clean calories and lean meats. I doubt your shakes are giving you your daily carbs and healthy fats needed... It's all about discipline and dedication man, sounds like you don't have it. I need over 4000 calories a day in my bulking cycles and I have no problems doing that at all with clean calories.

Whiteboii3000
09-29-2010, 02:26 AM
yea man it sounds like you want someone to say its ok to drink a bunch of shakes and only eat once, but the simple fact is its not ok to do that if your bodybuilding. you deplete your body of nutrients and minerals that you need from eating real meals.

ygbodybuilder10
09-29-2010, 02:30 AM
i see nothing wrong with it, Protein shakes are my main source of protein

lUnknown
09-29-2010, 03:28 AM
It sounds like you don't want advice, you just want the answer your looking for. So I will give it to you. Drink your protein shakes, you will live. If you want to do it the right/healthy way, eat lots of clean calories and lean meats. I doubt your shakes are giving you your daily carbs and healthy fats needed... It's all about discipline and dedication man, sounds like you don't have it. I need over 4000 calories a day in my bulking cycles and I have no problems doing that at all with clean calories.

yea man it sounds like you want someone to say its ok to drink a bunch of shakes and only eat once, but the simple fact is its not ok to do that if your bodybuilding. you deplete your body of nutrients and minerals that you need from eating real meals.

im asking what im sacrificing doing this over eating whole foods all day.. so far from what you both have wrote i am not losing out on nutrition, and i haven't really gotten any real facts. maybe i should of been clearer in my question.. i'm not asking for anyone's approval, I'm asking for facts

i am getting my carbs and fats.. i take natural peanut butter which you get from the a health store that grinds it from nuts or w.e i take fish oils, i eat walnuts.. i'm still taking these in between.. i'm still eating fruits/oranges.. i'm taking natural oats which you'd eat for oatmeal.. that is food isn't it? heh.

you also make it sound as if my shake is only a protein shake.. which it is not, the only reason im adding so much protein to it is because i need tons of protein. protein powders are also my main source of protein and has always been. it's cheaper than buying chicken where i live. you wont find many people eating 8 chicken breasts a day for protein regardless of how dedicated you are..

mblades1
09-29-2010, 03:43 AM
i see nothing wrong with it, Protein shakes are my main source of protein

Nobody is saying that protein shakes are an inadequate way to get protein. People are saying that having shakes make up 90% of your food intake is not optimal, and I agree with them.

For example, green vegetables are nutrient-powerhouses and I see not a single green veg in any of OP's meals.

lUnknown
09-29-2010, 03:53 AM
Nobody is saying that protein shakes are an inadequate way to get protein. People are saying that having shakes make up 90% of your food intake is not optimal, and I agree with them.

For example, green vegetables are nutrient-powerhouses and I see not a single green veg in any of OP's meals.

there is broccoli/tomatoes/onions with my meal of chicken lol+ salad, lots of lemon etc

the only thing the protein powder is making is most my protein intake that is it. not my calories. obviously the calories provided with the powder will be there.

honestly it's my fault i hadn't provided enough details in my first post, that is why alot of you are jumping to these conclusions. sorry

tacohen
09-29-2010, 12:05 PM
If you are eating all that you say you are.. i.e apples/oranges, green veggies, nuts, I wouldn't say your daily intake of protein shakes is 90% of your daily intake. As long as your getting all of your nutrients, carbs and fats go for it. I have 3 protein shakes a day, totalling in at about 1400 calories. Theres nothing wrong with it, just try to eat real food as much as you can.

BookMonkey
09-29-2010, 01:13 PM
If your stomach gets used to a mostly liquid diet, it will have issues when you eat more whole foods later. This is especially true as you get older.

lUnknown
09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
If your stomach gets used to a mostly liquid diet, it will have issues when you eat more whole foods later. This is especially true as you get older.

wat o_o

Cumulonimbus
09-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Go for it, but you won't get the benefit of many vitamins/minerals coming from whole food, and it'll be boring..

By the way if you're looking to bulk, rely on carbs, not high protein intake..

Robosco
09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
the only reason im adding so much protein to it is because i need tons of protein. protein powders are also my main source of protein and has always been. it's cheaper than buying chicken where i live. you wont find many people eating 8 chicken breasts a day for protein regardless of how dedicated you are..

Why don't you eat regular food and then supplement it with protein powders? Won't you miss eating real food?

Not only you'll need vitamins and minerals, you'll need enzymes from real food to help break down the food you ate for nutrients. Fruits and veggies also contain phytochemicals for immune system and help ward off cancer. You'll also need some saturated fat and cholesterol or else your testosterone level will drop. The act of chewing itself releases acid and digestive enzymes to help break down food. The act of food digestion is also an exercise for your gut, it burns calories as well.

Nutrition is a complicated system. You can't sum it down to just meeting the protein, carbs and fat requirement.

MikeK46
09-29-2010, 05:58 PM
This might give you some more insight, OP. Remove the spaces before and after "t-nation"

http://www. t-nation .com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/supplements_vs_whole_foods