PDA

View Full Version : boxng glove question

bmore20
09-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Me and some buddys have decided to start sparring/boxing with each other for a good cardio after the gym. The question i have is what are the advantages of using a 10oz glove compared to a 14oz. He is making me use a 14oz glove. Will swinging with a 14oz glove hurt more since its basically like swinging a 1lb weight in your hand?

melanimal_old
09-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I was always a big sock'em boppers guy

http://www.thedesigntown.com/new_product_images/sock%27em-boppers-l.jpg

DeseanJackson
09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Me and some buddys have decided to start sparring/boxing with each other for a good cardio after the gym. The question i have is what are the advantages of using a 10oz glove compared to a 14oz. He is making me use a 14oz glove. Will swinging with a 14oz glove hurt more since its basically like swinging a 1lb weight in your hand?

use heavier gloves for sparring...
the weight is the amount of padding.

unless your intent is to hurt each other...
heavier gloves also help with your hand speed.

Backus24
09-28-2010, 08:17 PM
The advantage of using a 10oz glove is when you get caught with one you're more likely to get KO'd.

If you're doing this for cardio, heavier gloves will be a better workout as well as safer.
Why don't you guys go join a real gym and get the benefit of cardio as well as learning real technique?

Most boxing gyms are damn cheap, unlike mma gyms

bmore20
09-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the info. We do go to a gym and lift/run but I am trying to do some cardio on the side at home as well. And no we are not trying to hurt each other.. lol.

AriGhold
09-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all the info. We do go to a gym and lift/run but I am trying to do some cardio on the side at home as well. And no we are not trying to hurt each other.. lol.

back yard boxing? wanna film it for reps?

YIAMSOMEBODY
09-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Hell yeah, this!

rnaco
09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
bigger hands won't fit too well in a 10 or 12 either

brb_ballin
09-28-2010, 10:01 PM
HE'S A WRECKIN MACHINE!!!!

http://morisset.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/07rocky_bd_mickey.jpg

brb_ballin
09-28-2010, 10:50 PM
why dont you guys go bare knuckle?

Nitric Oxide
09-28-2010, 10:54 PM
if you're just trying to get some cardio in then I would jump rope or hit the speed bag. The cost of two decent pairs of gloves is the same cost for a speed bag you could mount in your house/garage. They're only like 70 bucks. Plus, it will actually help you with weightlifting because you build speed and coordination while jumping rope and hitting the bag.

bmore20
10-02-2010, 07:21 PM

i talked to him and he said alright. we will be doing it in 2 weeks on a monday. i will update it then.

bmore20
10-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Just an update. We will be going Monday 5 rounds for 3 minutes. He has been talking so much trash to people at work how he is gonna knock the hell out of me. I could care less since i am putting it on the misc i will just put on a show.

Friend is recording with his Iphone. He wants to do stupid interviews before the fight. Should we or know? I said no. Best way to record is 1 round then make a new video or have it all on 1 big clip?

Nitric Oxide
10-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Just an update. We will be going Monday 5 rounds for 3 minutes. He has been talking so much trash to people at work how he is gonna knock the hell out of me. I could care less since i am putting it on the misc i will just put on a show.

Friend is recording with his Iphone. He wants to do stupid interviews before the fight. Should we or know? I said no. Best way to record is 1 round then make a new video or have it all on 1 big clip?

How much do you know? To cover the basic fundamental concepts I would highly suggest you read the wiki article on boxing. Start reading from this link and down, the rest of the stuff you can skip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing#Clothing

Do you have headgear, hand wraps and a mouth guard. That's probably some basic stuff you should have. It's not necessary but recommended.

Backus24
10-06-2010, 08:03 PM
You would be surprised how long 5 -3 minute rounds feel like with no prior training, lol

DeseanJackson
10-06-2010, 08:04 PM
You would be surprised how long 5 -3 minute rounds feel like with no prior training, lol

lol this.
if you don't feel gassed with no prior training with 3 minute rounds
then ur having one ****ty fight

Backus24
10-06-2010, 08:10 PM
lol this.
if you don't feel gassed with no prior training with 3 minute rounds
then ur having one ****ty fight

in b4 they can't lift their shoulders and they punch themselves out after round 1

Scoundrel
10-07-2010, 04:49 AM
if you're gonna be sparring with your bud, get some 8oz cleto reyes gloves, ;)

edit: on a serious note, with you being 160, you should try getting 12's or 14's (16's if you were serious, and gonna be competing). i do pray i dont need to tell you the advantages. also, when you get a glove, make sure you wrap your hand first before you try on the glove.

mchoodie
10-07-2010, 05:35 AM
I spar with 16oz, and I do my pad work with 12oz. Boxers uses smaller gloves than that in the ring when they are competing, in order to have more speed and knock out power.

bmore20
10-07-2010, 03:29 PM
in b4 they can't lift their shoulders and they punch themselves out after round 1

Thanks for all the tips guys. He said that he wanted to drop the round time to 2 minutes. I have a mouth piece and i just got some hand wrap.

I am gonna work his body the majority of the first round

Backus24
10-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. He said that he wanted to drop the round time to 2 minutes. I have a mouth piece and i just got some hand wrap.

I am gonna work his body the majority of the first round

Make sure you wrap your hands correctly. You can look up youtube vids if necessary.

Also, make sure not to leave your face wide open for a shot if you're concentrating on something particular (like bodyshots)

Beginners, especially those who have a plan going in, tend to overthink and you may leave yourself wide open instead of just reacting.

Annnnd looking forward to backyard boxing vids

Scoundrel
10-08-2010, 08:02 AM
I am gonna work his body the majority of the fight

Fixed

not only will it pay dividends directly, you will also set up your head shots

ChaliHo
10-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Just great some young guys boxing sparring without supervision...I wouldnt spar if I had no supervision or trainer to oversea it, just get a heavybag and hit that for some good cardio or a speed bag.

bmore20
10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Just great some young guys boxing sparring without supervision...I wouldnt spar if I had no supervision or trainer to oversea it, just get a heavybag and hit that for some good cardio or a speed bag.

What is wrong with backyard boxing? We do have gloves and a mouth piece. It's not if we are looking to knock each other out. Just having some fun and the fact now that he told everyone at our work and a few of them are coming to watch is gonna be pretty cool. Plus i am doing it for the misc. I cannot let the misc down.

bmore20
10-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Fight is in an hour. I will have videos up sometime tonight.

MadManc
10-11-2010, 09:28 AM

Nobody spars with 10oz gloves man. You will find a few gyms who use 14oz, but 16oz is the norm.

10oz gloves are fighting gloves. Stay away from Reyes too if you dont want to hurt each other as they are punchers gloves.

MadManc
10-11-2010, 09:30 AM
bigger hands won't fit too well in a 10 or 12 either

Heavyweights use 10oz gloves bro. Everybody from welterweight down use 8 oz.

MadManc
10-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Sorry for 3 posts in a row, but none of you will last 5 3 minute rounds if you have never done it before, no matter how good your cardio is lol.

Boxing is a totally different ball game when it comes to cardio.

bmore20
10-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Sorry for 3 posts in a row, but none of you will last 5 3 minute rounds if you have never done it before, no matter how good your cardio is lol.

Boxing is a totally different ball game when it comes to cardio.

Dude you were right. I am in the underarmor shirt (Murphy) Don't judge my skinny ass lol!. My style was horrible but they said i won. Video on other guys phone is better from different angle. I don't know how to put up videos so if someone can put it up in order that would be great. Thats the one view the people used. He got hit with a right that rocked him and he just stopped. I laughed at my dad calling me a pussy for when i ducked i ran away. Like i said i did it for cardio i never fight or box lol.

Don't mind people from work they suck
First round http://www.youtube.com/user/abbym1980#p/u/4/kFvorWpb-Ws
http://www.youtube.com/user/abbym1980

MadManc
10-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Dude you were right. I am in the underarmor shirt (Murphy) Don't judge my skinny ass lol!. My style was horrible but they said i won. Video on other guys phone is better from different angle. I don't know how to put up videos so if someone can put it up in order that would be great. Thats the one view the people used. He got hit with a right that rocked him and he just stopped. I laughed at my dad calling me a pussy for when i ducked i ran away. Like i said i did it for cardio i never fight or box lol.

Don't mind people from work they suck
First round http://www.youtube.com/user/abbym1980#p/u/4/kFvorWpb-Ws
http://www.youtube.com/user/abbym1980

Will watch tomorrow bro, too drunk right now and i'm going to bed,. Just be careful, serious. Boxing is not meant for back garden brawls. Its a dangerous sport.

bmore20
10-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Will watch tomorrow bro, too drunk right now and i'm going to bed,. Just be careful, serious. Boxing is not meant for back garden brawls. Its a dangerous sport.

Thanks. Yeah man we are sticking to normal mitt training. We are not fighters lol. I will have the other upload from the different camera that has better quality and angels later. We both suck and have no place boxing lol.