PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a dude not taking protein shakes

Jaroctor
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey, for various reasons I'm no longer taking any form of protein shakes, and atm no milk.

Soy milk, peanut butter, cottage cheese, yogurt, bread, bananas, meat and of course veggies are what I eat.

Is this reasonable? How should my portions look.

I do realise about the stickies, this is just a thread to hear your personal opinion on what/how I should be eating to put on weight. 150 grams protein+ and about 3000 calories.

cliffs:

-What should I surplus on if I'm not taking protein shakes? I have no trouble eating, but are there any recommendations besides milk?>

katosan
09-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey, for various reasons I'm no longer taking any form of protein shakes, and atm no milk.

Soy milk, peanut butter, cottage cheese, yogurt, bread, bananas, meat and of course veggies are what I eat.

Is this reasonable? How should my portions look.

I do realise about the stickies, this is just a thread to hear your personal opinion on what/how I should be eating to put on weight. 150 grams protein+ and about 3000 calories.

cliffs:

-What should I surplus on if I'm not taking protein shakes? I have no trouble eating, but are there any recommendations besides milk?>

Buy some boneless chicken breast packs from Costco. You can drink tons of milk but that will cost you much more, not to mention the amount of space it takes up in the fridge. 3k cal a day is always a good starting point, just make sure you hit it EVERY day. Also, watch your macros, calories and macros should be your daily #1 priority. Don't worry about the sources so much that they are coming from, especially while on a bulk.

Jaroctor
09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Buy some boneless chicken breast packs from Costco. You can drink tons of milk but that will cost you much more, not to mention the amount of space it takes up in the fridge. 3k cal a day is always a good starting point, just make sure you hit it EVERY day. Also, watch your macros, calories and macros should be your daily #1 priority. Don't worry about the sources so much that they are coming from, especially while on a bulk.

Thanks. However, what do you mean by macros? I know what you mean, but should I be taking extra vitamins in that sense? I'm sure theres a thread somewhere.

determined4000
09-28-2010, 05:16 PM
macros-protein, fat, carbs
shoot for 1-1.5g/lb protein
.4-.5g/lb in fat
the rest can be carbs

Jordanbid
09-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Multi vitamin,meat,beans,nuts,oatmeal,rice,potatoes ,water

kdog1189
09-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Protein shakes are not needed. You will be missing nothing by not drinking them. Just eat an extra chicken breast during the day and you will still get the same amount of protein.

Flyin Ryan
09-28-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't do shakes either, bro. The only time I even mess with whey powder is when I mix it in my oatmeal (delicious).

Focus on eating enough high protein foods... simple as that. Chicken breast, lean ground beef, salmon, tilapia, steaks, tuna fish, cottage cheese, low-fat cheese, eggs // egg whites, deli meat, etc etc.

Jaroctor
10-22-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't do shakes either, bro. The only time I even mess with whey powder is when I mix it in my oatmeal (delicious).

Focus on eating enough high protein foods... simple as that. Chicken breast, lean ground beef, salmon, tilapia, steaks, tuna fish, cottage cheese, low-fat cheese, eggs // egg whites, deli meat, etc etc.

Thanks. Have some reps.

Zathan000
10-22-2010, 03:43 PM
What do you guys eat after your workout if you don't drink a protein shake?

desslok
10-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I ran out of whey over a month ago, and haven't bought anymore. I was only takng it as cheap insurance, I get plenty of protein from steak and chicken with veggies, and I eat quite a bit of yogurt with fruit, and eggs with cheese for breakfast. Tons of nuts and nut butter for snacks, etc.

wZk.60
10-22-2010, 03:56 PM
It's really easy. I only drink 1 shake post-workout...so that means that I get about 170grams of protein from whole foods(on a 2100 cal diet).
Chicken, red meat, eggs, cottage cheese, ...

FunkDaddy
10-22-2010, 04:13 PM
What do you guys eat after your workout if you don't drink a protein shake?

You can eat anything. The "post-workout anabolic window" or whatever you think it is that you need quick protein after lifting is a myth. Especially if your pre-workout meal is on point.

I personally do a shake because how I make them (blended with fresh fruit and plenty of ice) they are delicious and cool me down after a workout. Satisfies my sweet tooth and it also helps me make certain I'm getting my proteinz as I don't really count calories or macros.

Guai
10-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I'll disagree with the first person that replied to you in saying that macros, outside of protein, don't matter. Pay attention to your 3k cals a day + your protein intake and that's it. Macro ratios are largely irrelevant after those two requirements are met, unless you're doing keto. But then bulking on keto is just straight up silly. Oh and high five for MTL. ;)

SupaaJ
10-22-2010, 04:29 PM

Good info.

And it sounds like you already answered your own question OP. Just know if you're shooting for 150 grams+ of protein per day, you'll be eating a lot of cottage cheese, eggs, greek yogurt, cheese, nuts/nut butters, and if you eat it, meat.

Nothing wrong with that.

EDIT: As a common example, I'll share what I've been enjoying of late:

1 cup Greek Yogurt (23 grams protein)
2 TBL Natural Peanut Butter (8 grams protein)
For sweetness, I'll either do a splenda packet, 1 TBL honey (if I don't mind the calories), or if I'm feeling risky, I'll add in a typical flavored yogurt (one of those 6 oz, 5 grams protein, 100 cals versions).

^ Quite a bit more filling than you'd think. Also to add another 5-10 grams of protein, add in 1/2 to one full cup of oats.