PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight vs gaining muscle

reddawg84
09-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi all,

Is it better to loose weight first and then start toning?

I've just started to increase my fitness. Been exercising regularly for about 12 weeks. I'm 68 kgs (or 150lbs) at the moment but I would like to be 58 kgs (128lbs).

I've started boot camp which is high cardio with own weight stuff (don't know how to explain it) like lunges, burbpees, push ups, squats, core work. I have 1 PT session per week which is when I do abit of weights in the gym.

Is it better to focus on the boot camps until I'm almost at my goal weight and then start building muscle?

I'm a little confused. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks =)

RobOH
09-25-2010, 08:11 AM
I suggest losing fat til you are satisfied and then trying to add some muscle.

th3pwn3r
09-25-2010, 08:15 AM
As a female with your stats I would have to say that it's best that you lean out. This is assuming you're not a brickhouse of muscle mass with little body fat already(very unlikely). Lean out through diet and full body weight training and go from there. If you feel you need more muscle mass on your frame then slowly gain it with a clean bulk.

J0n1y
09-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Hi all,

I've just started to increase my fitness. Been exercising regularly for about 12 weeks. I'm 68 kgs (or 150lbs) at the moment but I would like to be 58 kgs (128lbs).

I've started boot camp which is high cardio with own weight stuff (don't know how to explain it) like lunges, burbpees, push ups, squats, core work. I have 1 PT session per week which is when I do abit of weights in the gym.

Is it better to focus on the boot camps until I'm almost at my goal weight and then start building muscle?

Thanks =)

Basically just cut down your calories... and my mom did the bootcamp thing when I was young it works well, you should still run on the tredmill... I would suggest High Interval training .... im doing that now cause im in my cutting phase.

Just remember to get your protein so that your body doesnt get rid of your muscle mass. If your really serious about cutting fat I would do a Keto Diet... its hardcore tho.

Btw you dont look 150 =]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you love this site REP me <3

Steven110
09-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Hi all,

Thanks =)

Yeah, i'd try to cut down on fat first before gaining muscle.

mellie369
09-25-2010, 09:32 AM
I would not focus on losing fat before building muscle. As a newbie, you can do both for a little. And here's why I say that...

When I started the gym, I was 191 lbs. I hated cardio so I rarely did it. I just cleaned up my diet and lifted heavy. I got down to 150 lbs by doing that alone. Then I kind of plateaued and so I got a trainer and now I'm on a cutting diet and I'm down to 141 (lost 10 lbs in the last 6 weeks) and I'm *still* going up in all my weights at the gym.

And besides, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn all day. ;)

So, in risk of being the odd one out, I say go lift heavy!!!