PDA

View Full Version : How to take my protein shakes?

saw7988
09-15-2010, 08:04 AM
So I'm currently doing 1 whey shake post-workout and 1 casein shake pre-bed. I have also been buying soy milk because it's healthier than regular milk and contains more protein. Now which combination do you guys think is best?

1. Soy milk + whey, water + casein
2. Water + whey, soy milk + casein
3. Water + whey, water + casein
4. Soy milk + whey, soy milk + casein

Thanks.

MikeK46
09-15-2010, 08:14 AM
The combination with the cow milk :)

MajorTwang
09-15-2010, 08:35 AM
I have also been buying soy milk because it's healthier

Only according to the people who manufacture soy milk.

Here's an interesting thing - soya has an affinity for testosterone, reducing the amount of free testosterone in the body. This is why there is an inverse correlation between soy consumption & rates of prostate cancer.

But low testosterone means what for a bodybuilder ?

saw7988
09-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Only according to the people who manufacture soy milk.

Here's an interesting thing - soya has an affinity for testosterone, reducing the amount of free testosterone in the body. This is why there is an inverse correlation between soy consumption & rates of prostate cancer.

But low testosterone means what for a bodybuilder ?

I personally know multiple doctors who have studied a lot of nutrition and have gotten mixed results on soy milk and milk in general. But regardless, if I expand my options to the following, how would you rank them:

(assume a pwo whey shake at about 5-6pm & pre-bed casein shake at about 11-12pm)

1. milk/whey, water/casein
2. water/whey, milk/casein
3. milk/whey, milk/casein
4. silk/whey, water/casein
5. water/whey, silk/casein
6. silk/whey, silk/casein
7. water/whey, water/casein

Jasonpan
09-15-2010, 11:35 AM
I seriously think your overthinking it man. I personally use skim milk with my whey PWO and my casien at night..... I would use w/e one u prefer

PoloSperry
09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
I seriously think your overthinking it man. I personally use skim milk with my whey PWO and my casien at night..... I would use w/e one u prefer

This is what I do. Can't beat the real stuff man.

jdjprimer19
09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
I personally know multiple doctors who have studied a lot of nutrition and have gotten mixed results on soy milk and milk in general. But regardless, if I expand my options to the following, how would you rank them:

(assume a pwo whey shake at about 5-6pm & pre-bed casein shake at about 11-12pm)

1. milk/whey, water/casein
2. water/whey, milk/casein
3. milk/whey, milk/casein
4. silk/whey, water/casein
5. water/whey, silk/casein
6. silk/whey, silk/casein
7. water/whey, water/casein

Jesus! Really???

saw7988
09-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Why not optimize?

If I'm indifferent to all the choices, and it takes zero effort to switch what I'm taking shake with, why not do the best one?

Why do people have to be such *******s?

I read that casein slows down whey. So wouldn't regular milk + whey pwo be worse than soy or water?

jdjprimer19
09-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Why not optimize?

If I'm indifferent to all the choices, and it takes zero effort to switch what I'm taking shake with, why not do the best one?

Why do people have to be such *******s?

I read that casein slows down whey. So wouldn't regular milk + whey pwo be worse than soy or water?

There is no worst choice. It is a matter of personal preference. Speed of absorption has no extra benefit whatsoever according to literature. The only time speed of absorption has any impact is if one is performing multiple bouts of an endurance event in one day.