PDA

View Full Version : beef jerkygood or bad?

paulgnc24
09-15-2010, 06:29 AM
im in college so i can't really prepare all of my food every time i eat so i resort to pre packaged food, like granola bars and beef jerky. but it found out that granola bars only contains 3g of protein with 27g of carbs (im trying to stay away from carbs right now, ketosis mode) beef jerky on the other hand has 15g of protein 3g of carbs but with 610mg of sodium per serving.

my question: is beef jerky worth it as a bodybuilding snack even with super high content of sodium?. i'm afraid of having gallstones in the future, let's face it bodybuilder diet contains a lot of sodium and potassium which can lead to gallstones.:)

hrdgain3r89
09-15-2010, 06:44 AM
beef jerky is fine in moderation only reason youd have problems is if you ate it like 5 times a day. or rinse it and squeeze some of the sodium out if it worries you that bad.

stay away from the flavored brands as they usually contain double the sodium as their original counterpart...but think about it theres A LOT of worse choices you could be making in which the sodium would be the least of your worries...(its college live a little). lol
not srs.

Dutchie21
09-15-2010, 06:49 AM
im in college so i can't really prepare all of my food every time i eat so i resort to pre packaged food, like granola bars and beef jerky. but it found out that granola bars only contains 3g of protein with 27g of carbs (im trying to stay away from carbs right now, ketosis mode) beef jerky on the other hand has 15g of protein 3g of carbs but with 610mg of sodium per serving.

my question: is beef jerky worth it as a bodybuilding snack even with super high content of sodium?. i'm afraid of having gallstones in the future, let's face it bodybuilder diet contains a lot of sodium and potassium which can lead to gallstones.:)

I don't see why you can't prepare food if you are in college?
I am in college myself and I always prepare my food, some times I have to get up early or prepare it late at night, but I always make sure I have enough food prepared.
To answer your question, beef jerky is a pretty bad source for nutrition, the amount of sodium in there is mindblowing.