PDA

View Full Version : Lions need to protest this phucking game!!!!

namean
09-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Signed!

GPx
09-12-2010, 01:16 PM
My god that was pathetic.

KingCanuck
I agree. It was a brutal call. Officials need to be fired.

Tyler44
cliffs?

PatrickBateman1
I'm not watching any more NFL football today... I'm just in shock. Absolutely awful.

The_Zodiac
Stfu

JM2412
09-12-2010, 01:17 PM
What happened?

RyzinEnagy
09-12-2010, 01:17 PM
How do you blow a call that badly?

cuttin.bruh
09-12-2010, 01:18 PM
signed, I just almost put my head through a fuking wall

miketheblade
FUKING CHRIST IM PISSED OFF

wow **** the NFL

fitmember
first i was like :)

but then :(

BoGii
cliffs?

24 seconds left
Lob 30+ yards into endzone
Calvin Johnson towers and catches ball
LANDS ON TWO FEET WITH BALL IN BOTH HANDS
Falls on his ass, ball touches ground
He lets go after whole body + ball has contact with endzone

Ruling on the Play Reversed

ESPforMe
Im so phucking pisses of right now. **********

Tyler44
09-12-2010, 01:19 PM
24 seconds left

so it was blatantly a TD then I assume.

This crap enforces my CFB>NFL argument

namean
09-12-2010, 01:19 PM
cliffs?

What happened?

Lions come back and score an obvious touchdown.
Call gets over ruled

Calvin gets:
4 feet to hit the ground
his ass to hit the ground
his knee to hit the ground
ALL while maintaining possession and loses the ball getting up and its called not a completed pass!
GTFO!!

PatrickBateman1
09-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I am now watching golf (srs).

F*ck the NFL... they're ruining the best sport in the world

abbot92
09-12-2010, 01:21 PM
holy ****.. im in shock

WutWutInTheButt
09-12-2010, 01:22 PM
strong lions fans in this thread

ZidaneValor
09-12-2010, 01:23 PM
How do you blow a call that badly?

Unfortunately, the refs made the correct call. The problem is a bad rule in place for endzone catches.

If CJ would have waited a second or two to release, it would have been a TD. But he "spiked" it the moment the ball touched the ground as he was falling. Incomplete is the correct call, but it's a sh*tty rule.

PatrickBateman1
09-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Has nothing to do with the Lions, it has to do with how stupid the call/rule is and how it phucks the game up.

namean
09-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I am now watching golf (srs).

F*ck the NFL... they're ruining the best sport in the world

Im with you man. Im not watching this bull$hit league the rest of the damned day! phuck this $hitty league!!

tmc.
09-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Unfortunately, the refs made the correct call. The problem is a bad rule in place for endzone catches.

If CJ would have waited a second or two to release, it would have been a TD. But he "spiked" it the moment the ball touched the ground as he was falling. Incomplete is the correct call, but it's a sh*tty rule.

When a player is running into the endzone, all he has to do is break the plane with the ball, doesn't even have to possess it afterward.

But when you're in the endzone and you catch it with 2 feet + knee + your body with possession, that's not breaking the plane?

BigDFan24
09-12-2010, 01:27 PM
could this league become any more of a damn joke? seriously how was that not a touchdown?

the NFL isn't even real football anymore.... its a bunch of mind f*ck bull**** ****ing ****

i cant beleive this....

im not even a lions fan but my god....

cant wait for my cowboys to beat the bears asses next week.

PatrickBateman1
09-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Has anyone EVER heard of this supposed rule? I bet 99% of either team had no clue it even existed.

ZidaneValor
09-12-2010, 01:29 PM
But when you're in the endzone and you catch it with 2 feet + knee + your body with possession, that's not breaking the plane?

The "call" (remember I don't agree with) is that CJ never had possession of the ball because he dropped it. It's like when a receiver catches a ball while falling out of bounds, but he juggles it. Or more appropriately, when a receiver catches the ball while falling down, but the ground knocks it out.

The "call" was correct according to the rules of the game, but it's a horrendous rule.

ZidaneValor
09-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Has anyone EVER heard of this supposed rule? I bet 99% of either team had no clue it even existed.

It happened at least once last year.

Edit: It was the Louis Murphy non-catch for the Raiders last September.

namean
09-12-2010, 01:38 PM
If ever there were a game that should actually be protested...THIS IS IT!
They should award the Lions this victory!

charity4thepoor
09-12-2010, 01:39 PM
im pretty damn pissed about this

Los_Diablo
09-12-2010, 01:39 PM
If they're saying that he didn't "complete the process" on that TD catch(which is bull****)... he caught the ball, got two feet down, his ass hit the ground, his knee hit the ground, then the ball came out as he was trying to get up....

How is it then, that a RB that dives for the pylon can drop the ball when he crosses, but as long as he had possesion when the ball crosses, it's a TD? And what about the plays where the RB jumps over the pile for a TD but loses the ball before he hits the ground.. they still call that a TD as well..

What am I missing here, what is the difference?

ArchangelDante
09-12-2010, 01:43 PM
wow...............when does NBA start?

DudeBuilder91
24 seconds left

stop posting this everywer.. ruling on the play was not reversed.. it was originally called no td... u just saw too many hands in the air saying it was a td

ZidaneValor
If they're saying that he didn't "complete the process" on that TD catch(which is bull****)... he caught the ball, got two feet down, his ass hit the ground, his knee hit the ground, then the ball came out as he was trying to get up....

The ball came out the moment it hit the ground. The refs ruled that technically he was still falling down.

How is it then, that a RB that dives for the pylon can drop the ball when he crosses, but as long as he had possesion when the ball crosses, it's a TD? And what about the plays where the RB jumps over the pile for a TD but loses the ball before he hits the ground.. they still call that a TD as well..

Because the RB has possession of the ball as he is doing it. The "call" is that Johnson never actually had possession of the ball officially.

ArchangelDante
09-12-2010, 01:44 PM

the difference is how many refs are betting on the game

ZidaneValor
09-12-2010, 01:44 PM

October 26 or 27th. I already bought NFL Sunday Ticket AND NBA League Pass, lol.

GPx
09-12-2010, 01:45 PM

True story.

Makes no fuking sense.

5x10
09-12-2010, 01:45 PM

not a lions fan, still a bad call

they were robbed

PatrickBateman1
09-12-2010, 01:47 PM
The ball came out the moment it hit the ground. The refs ruled that technically he was still falling down.

That's where it gets ridiculous. He was obviously starting to stand back up. Awful awful rule.

ArchangelDante
09-12-2010, 01:47 PM
what i dont get is that he had 2 feet down, how is that different than a receiver catching with 2 feet down then falling out of bounds? wtf **** that ****. **** u nfl

tmc.
09-12-2010, 01:48 PM
stop posting this everywer.. ruling on the play was not reversed.. it was originally called no td... u just saw too many hands in the air saying it was a td

the referee closest to the play called it a touchdown

PatrickBateman1
Wow you should see my facebook. I'm from Michigan so most of my friends are Lions fans.... not a happy bunch.

namean

^^^^This lulz

ZidaneValor
09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
what i dont get is that he had 2 feet down, how is that different than a receiver catching with 2 feet down then falling out of bounds? wtf **** that ****. **** u nfl

It's not. If the ball hits the ground as the receiver falls down, and the ball "bobbles", it's incomplete. It's maintaining possession as you're falling.

BoGii

I'm pretty sure on the television screen it said "Ruling on the Field : Touchdown" and somewhere else on the screen there was the words "Under Review"

so idk wtf you're talking about

tmc.
I understand what the rule says, but even with that rule that is still a touchdown. He completed the catch and started to get back up to celebrate. God knows you can't celebrate with the ball in the NFL so he was just ensuring he didn't get a 15 yard penalty.

TexasHeat
09-12-2010, 01:50 PM
it was a bad call but you can't protest it and give the game to the lions because there were still like 30 seconds left in the game.

For all we know, Devin Hester could have taken the kickoff back for a TD.

Tyler44
This is why Saturday is the best day of the week ;)

tmc.
it was a bad call but you can't protest it and give the game to the lions because there were still like 30 seconds left in the game.

replay the last 30 seconds then

BigDFan24
09-12-2010, 01:51 PM
It's not. If the ball hits the ground as the receiver falls down, and the ball "bobbles", it's incomplete. It's maintaining possession as you're falling.

#1. the ball didnt hit the ground as the WR fell. He put it on the ground himself.

#2. he didnt "bobble" the ball phaggot

#3. you ****ing idiot

cheerupemokid
09-12-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm pretty sure on the television screen it said "Ruling on the Field : Touchdown" and somewhere else on the screen there was the words "Under Review"

so idk wtf you're talking about

You're mistaken the ruling on the field was that it was an incomplete pass. If you recall Perrera said that he thought the they would confirm the ruling on the field and the ref said: "the ruling on the field stands, incomplete pass."

PatrickBateman1
09-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Even my friends from Chicago are pissed about the call. Not pissed about the win, but just pissed at the NFL being pathetic.

ZidaneValor
09-12-2010, 01:54 PM
#1. the ball didnt hit the ground as the WR fell. He put it on the ground himself.

#2. he didnt "bobble" the ball phaggot

#3. you ****ing idiot

I think it should be a touchdown. I've said that numerous times.

But if you watch the play again, Johnson is falling down with his hand extended, and the moment the ball touches the ground, Johnson lets go of it in celebration. Therefore, the refs ruled that the ground caused him to fumble, and it's incomplete. It's the correct call and a sh*tty rule.

namean
09-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Insult to injury...litterally

The_Source
09-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm even more pissed that I didn't get those points for my fantasy league

**** YOU NFL!!

BigDFan24
09-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I think it should be a touchdown. I've said that numerous times.

But if you watch the play again, Johnson is falling down with his hand extended, and the moment the ball touches the ground, Johnson lets go of it in celebration. Therefore, the refs ruled that the ground caused him to fumble, and it's incomplete. It's the correct call and a sh*tty rule.

no its not the correct ****ing call.

he caught the ball, landed on 2 feet, then fall onto his elbow and back.

the rule is, 2 limbs have to hit for it to be a complete catch.

he has like 4 limbs hit.....

what if the bears make the playoffs by 1 game now? HOW ****ING GAY

tmc.
09-12-2010, 01:56 PM

lol, we don't have to worry about the Bears even being close to the playoffs

BigDFan24
09-12-2010, 01:57 PM

i know im just so ****ing mad that the nfl is this gay about this ****

ZidaneValor

The official rule according to PFT is:

The rule in question states, "If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

Johnson let go of the ball too early. He was still falling down, so he was still "in the act" of catching the pass.

ArchangelDante

this lol bears ****ing blow

GPx
09-12-2010, 01:58 PM
My fantasy team is pissed too.

DudeBuilder91
09-12-2010, 01:58 PM
the referee closest to the play called it a touchdown

but was that the ruling on the field? Nope

BigDFan24
09-12-2010, 01:59 PM

Johnson let go of the ball too early. He was still falling down, so he was still "in the act" of catching the pass.

yeah after he fell onto his back and rolled onto his elbow.... that should have been the end of it.

He didnt have to control it after he landed on his back and his elbow hit.... he controlled it long enough.... then he rolled over....

thats a completion. even by the definition of the rule

Filthy Animal
09-12-2010, 02:00 PM
brutal call. really sucks.

ArchangelDante
but was that the ruling on the field? Nope

delusional bears fan that thinks the bears are going to do anything with this "win"?

GPx

He was in the act of getting up.

krocknw
09-12-2010, 02:01 PM
<-----------------------mad

DudeBuilder91
09-12-2010, 02:03 PM
delusional bears fan that thinks the bears are going to do anything with this "win"?

quoted when bears make playoffs.. packers are nowhere as good as people think they are.. 3 sacks in 1 quarter Lulz

SteelSS
09-12-2010, 02:05 PM
quoted when bears make playoffs.. packers are nowhere as good as people think they are.. 3 sacks in 1 quarter Lulz

the Lions. THE LIONS. WITH A backup QB. WITH the lions receivers falling down, dropping passes. WITH a bull**** call.

THE LIONS

ZidaneValor
09-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Before it gets deleted due to copyright protection.

4s_EPK9MtJE

If you look at just the arc of his hand on the ball, it looks like he slams the ball on the ground and releases as it was falling, even though he was pushing off the ground to get up with his left hand. He "spiked" the ball before he made a "football move" or whatever the hell they call it.

It SHOULD be a touchdown, but the stupid rule says it isn't.

cheerupemokid
09-12-2010, 02:08 PM
the Lions. THE LIONS. WITH A backup QB. WITH the lions receivers falling down, dropping passes. WITH a bull**** call.

THE LIONS

LOL the Lions were getting raped by the defense, especially with the back up QB. The only reason they were able to have success was because the Bears were in a ****ty prevent (victory) defense for most of the series. Peppers forced Stafford out of the game with a sack, if you'll recall.

The_Source
09-12-2010, 02:09 PM
the more I watch it, the more it pisses me off. Especially how the commentators agree with the call

****ing bull****

TexasHeat
09-12-2010, 02:09 PM
He was still falling down.

Good call after seeing that video in slow motion.

ArchangelDante
09-12-2010, 02:11 PM
the bears are my new least favorite team, srs

ZidaneValor
09-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Look at the play in the Green Bay game just now. Woodson intercepted the ball, but the ball "shifted" out of his hand even though he never actually let go of it, and the call will probably be overturned.

Edit: It was overturned. The ground made the ball "shift" even though Woodson was still firmly gripping the ball, and it was incomplete.

BigDFan24
09-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Look at the play in the Green Bay game just now. Woodson intercepted the ball, but the ball "shifted" out of his hand even though he never actually let go of it, and the call will probably be overturned.

has nothing to do with the calvin johnson call..... completely different

ZidaneValor
09-12-2010, 02:15 PM
has nothing to do with the calvin johnson call..... completely different

The Woodson call may actually be worse. At least Johnson let go of the ball. Woodson was gripping the ball the entire time, but the ground caused it to "shift" in his hand.

beepbeep
09-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Yes, it is the correct call. Just because you don't like the rule doesn't mean its not the correct call.

DudeBuilder91
09-12-2010, 02:18 PM

THE LIONS

your point? I saw enough from the bears today to make me believe they can do it. Im not judging on who we played im judging on how we executed our plays.. had it not been for certain turnovers and a droped pass by devin we wud have raped their ass easily over 3 tds

ArchangelDante
09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
your point? I saw enough from the bears today to make me believe they can do it. Im not judging on who we played im judging on how we executed our plays.. had it not been for certain turnovers and a droped pass by devin we wud have raped their ass easily over 3 tds

ya had it not been for turnovers, like cutler isnt going to throw at least 3 picks every game.........riiiiiiiiiiiiiight

BigDFan24
09-12-2010, 02:22 PM
ya had it not been for turnovers, like cutler isnt going to throw at least 3 picks every game.........riiiiiiiiiiiiiight

lmao yeah. or fumble machine matt forte.

he had like what 8 fumbles last year? oh nevermind it was 7..... or 8.... idk he had a lot.

and matt forte had 2 fumbles today.... 1 lost..... hes starting off the year himself thats for sure.

gay bears

namean
09-12-2010, 02:31 PM

hahahahahaha notsureifsrs.jpg

urintrouble
09-12-2010, 02:32 PM
jim joyce and now cj. our city is cursed

namean
09-12-2010, 02:36 PM
jim joyce and now cj. our city is cursed

I was just going to mention this.

FhsDeTxFball
09-12-2010, 02:40 PM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9950/zzzzzzzzzzzzzhwi87.gif

SoCool
09-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Impartial here. Such a bad call. League will apologize this week and Lions will still be 0-1.

BigDFan24
09-12-2010, 02:55 PM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9950/zzzzzzzzzzzzzhwi87.gif

lmfao

homicidal_misc
09-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Going to copy and paste from another thread for those ***got saying the Bears win is a fluke or shouldn't count. The Bears KILLED them all game. the defense and offense destroyed them. Dumb, fixable mistakes prevented this from being a blowout. In fact, if either Olsen doesn't fumble at the 8 yard line or Lovie Smith's dumb ass doesn't go for it on 4th down, this thread wouldn't exist.

Cutler killed it. Olsen fumbled in the red zone. Lovie smith is jackass going for it on 4th down, etc. If you want to play the "what if game" then you wouldn't contradict yourself when you say "part of football.

1. rules are rules

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...call-was-right
2. Ws are Ws and Ls are Ls

3. Any time a Team gets 463 yards and gives up 168, it's dominated. The Bears dominated outside of dumb, easily fixable mistakes and it wasn't even close.

ChicagoCubz
09-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Except that Hester doesn't return kickoffs anymore.

poppa_boner
09-12-2010, 03:04 PM
what pisses me off is that the nfl will do nothing about this and only support the refs for their decision......shiit pisses me off

ChicagoCubz
09-12-2010, 03:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/16142/like-it-or-not-megatron-call-was-right

Stupid rule? Probably. Fake win for the Bears? No.

homicidal_misc
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
what pisses me off is that the nfl will do nothing about this and only support the refs for their decision......shiit pisses me off

Based on the rules, it was the right call. Sorry lol.

ChicagoCubz
09-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Also Jay Cutler's QB rating - 108.3 lulz haters gonna hate.

homicidal_misc
09-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Also Jay Cutler's QB rating - 108.3 lulz haters gonna hate.

That was WITH D linemen in his face all game, too. lol Martz=king

209vaughn
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
NCAA Football is 10x better.

dtbrehm
09-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Edit: It was overturned. The ground made the ball "shift" even though Woodson was still firmly gripping the ball, and it was incomplete.

If he was gripping it firmly, the ground wouldn't have made the ball shift. He definitely did not have control going to the ground.

cheerupemokid
09-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Apparently, a similar thing happened to the Bernard Berrian with the Bears against the Detroit Lions in 2004:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=241226008

pkahnman
09-12-2010, 04:01 PM
bad calls happen all the time Thats sports Atleast my giants won lol i kid i kid Does suck for the lions but dont mean the entire game is ruined

snoborder
09-12-2010, 07:08 PM
I keep watching this replay and I can't believe what a bull**** call it was. Yes Lions fan.

Covy1
09-12-2010, 07:27 PM
when i saw they didnt give him the TD i was like lolwut?

TimDF
09-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Just seen the video. Could potentially be the worst call in all of sports ever! All the refs in that game should be fired.

repsDTGdaily
09-12-2010, 07:34 PM
he didn't let go of the ball in celebration. the ball popped out of his hand when it hit the ground. anyways, he ****ing caught it and it should be a touchdown. ****ty rule

OCguy999
09-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't think it was the rule - I think it was an absolutely horrible and ridiculous interpretation of the rule. I'm a Raider fan and the call made me rage. I can only imagine what Lions fans must be going through right now. I would have broken my television if it happened to the Raiders

OrdoAbchao
09-12-2010, 07:36 PM
NFL fukcing blows....what a terrible rule they have in place. Just awful. How is that not a catch?

I would be furious had I placed a bet on the Lions like I was going to.

Davis_Ever
09-12-2010, 07:39 PM
wait wasnt this the exact same thing as the raiders game last year on opening night vs the chargers? They reversed the call even though he caught it and had possession because he let the ball hit the ground after he was already DOWN in the endzone.

-=Zeus=-!
09-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Bears got lucky, simples as that.

JTrain306
09-12-2010, 08:24 PM
The ****tiest thing is that in all likelihood he could have secured it with 2 hands and just fell down on his body instead of putting his hand down.

NFL fukcing blows....what a terrible rule they have in place. Just awful. How is that not a catch?

I would be furious had I placed a bet on the Lions like I was going to.
Spread for Lions was +6.5, so they still covered... if you bet on the Lions you would have won regardless.

batman15
09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Signed.

OrdoAbchao
09-12-2010, 09:48 PM
The ****tiest thing is that in all likelihood he could have secured it with 2 hands and just fell down on his body instead of putting his hand down.

Spread for Lions was +6.5, so they still covered... if you bet on the Lions you would have won regardless.

I was going to bet them to win.

tnel00
09-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Favorite Sports Teams:
Yankees, Lakers, Blackhawks, Saints, Duke Blue Devils, Alabama Crimson Tide

your opinion on any sports related issue is invalid

namean
09-13-2010, 01:01 AM
your opinion on any sports related issue is invalid

Only team in my sig Im actually a fan of is the Lakers fool

mjfan12
09-13-2010, 01:40 AM
this lol bears ****ing blow

sadly "we" do.

I just hope this is the final straw and they clean house top to bottom. prez, gm, coaches, everyone. Ideally new ownership too but that's unlikely till the old broad croaks.

Acevedo85
09-13-2010, 05:39 AM
I say the fans have a march in downtown detroit and protest this game. I just saw the video and was like "what in the fuccking hell? how is that not a td WTFFFFFFF"

EVERY REF FROM THAT GAME fired

IraHays
09-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Fuking over Megatron fuked over my fantasy team. Dumb rule.

wolverine61
09-13-2010, 06:08 AM
this is why we cant have nice things

chrisgrover
09-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Favorite sports teams:
Yankees, Lakers, Blackhawks, Saints, Duke Blue Devils, Alabama Crimson Tide

Bandwagon much?

matty_b_bop
09-13-2010, 07:39 AM
that was the most ridiculous call i've ever seen.

how can anyone NOT think that's a TD. my heart is with all you Lions fans and Calvin Johnson owners in FF

chrisgrover
09-13-2010, 07:42 AM

how can anyone NOT think that's a TD. my heart is with all you Lions fans and Calvin Johnson owners in FF

The call was correct. By rule that was not a catch.

The issue is that its a ****ed up rule.

Ecnewyx
09-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Catches have ALWAYS been treated differently than runs... it's not new to the sport. It's the reason why if a runner gets popped and the ball comes loose it's a fumble, but if a receiver catches the ball but doesn't come down with it or secure it it's considered an incomplete pass.

If you hit the ground and the ball comes loose it's not a completed pass. Just like if Calvin Johnson had caught it, gotten both feet in the endzone, and then gotten popped by the Bears defense with the ball coming loose. If you change the rule then that situation would have to be considered a touchdown too... which wouldn't make any sense.

It's just unfortunate because he could've secured it the whole way through, it looked like he didn't because he assumed it was a TD.

jwest529
09-13-2010, 07:47 AM

i bet on them to win more than 5 games.. FUUUUUU

btw i dont think he dropped it, i think he just placed it down. Calvin is a monster, that was a redic catch. I would have given him the TD just for respect of how talented he is.

IawI
09-13-2010, 07:57 AM
so it was blatantly a TD then I assume.

This crap enforces my CFB>NFL argument

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBroOeFWlN8

I could find 10000 youtube videos of college refs making bad calls. It happens on any level of any sport. It's just part of the game.

A sport with no playoff system < A sport who decides it's champion in a legit manner.

Reggie3
09-13-2010, 07:57 AM

The call was not correct

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone.

He did. He held the ball out with one hand . You try to hold a ball with one hand without juggling it and tell me you don't have possession.

If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete.

He did. He had full control after he hit the ground. It was getting up that he set the ball down.

BS CALL

El Gilbro
09-13-2010, 08:02 AM
So it was the Raiders last year and the Lions this year.

We need this to happen to a good team that a lot of people like before the rule will be changed.

matty_b_bop
09-13-2010, 08:29 AM

yes, i understand. but i still think the call was incorrect because CJ was using the hand and the ball to get him up. it was definitely a second act. he knew he had the TD (or at least thought) so he just let the ball go non-nonchalantly.

Catches have ALWAYS been treated differently than runs... it's not new to the sport. It's the reason why if a runner gets popped and the ball comes loose it's a fumble, but if a receiver catches the ball but doesn't come down with it or secure it it's considered an incomplete pass.

If you hit the ground and the ball comes loose it's not a completed pass. Just like if Calvin Johnson had caught it, gotten both feet in the endzone, and then gotten popped by the Bears defense with the ball coming loose. If you change the rule then that situation would have to be considered a touchdown too... which wouldn't make any sense.

It's just unfortunate because he could've secured it the whole way through, it looked like he didn't because he assumed it was a TD.

read above.

also, what is the difference between a runner diving for the pile-on and losing the ball after it breaks the plain?

it's the dumbest rule ever, and it will be changed because of this event. that is a Lions win.

El Gilbro
09-13-2010, 08:39 AM
also, what is the difference between a runner diving for the pile-on and losing the ball after it breaks the plain?

The runner has possession before he enters the end zone, has possession as he enters the end zone, and the play ends at the exact instant the ball breaks the plane....so he never loses possession at any time during the play. The ball coming out after he breaks the plane is irrelevant.

The way the rule for catching a ball is written, Megatron never had possession. By everyday laymen definition, he totally had possession. By stupid rule definition, he didn't.

it's the dumbest rule ever

I couldn't agree more.

matty_b_bop
09-13-2010, 08:48 AM
The runner has possession before he enters the end zone, has possession as he enters the end zone, and the play ends at the exact instant the ball breaks the plane....so he never loses possession at any time during the play. The ball coming out after he breaks the plane is irrelevant.

The way the rule for catching a ball is written, Megatron never had possession. By everyday laymen definition, he totally had possession. By stupid rule definition, he didn't.

I couldn't agree more.

the pile-on example is weak, but it just shows you how insane the catch rule is.

i mean, he had the ball palmed. the rule will be change next season if not later this season.

El Gilbro
09-13-2010, 08:51 AM
the pile-on example is weak, but it just shows you how insane the catch rule is.

i mean, he had the ball palmed. the rule will be change next season if not later this season.
Rule should be changed ASAP...but I don't see it happening until the beloved Cowboys or another media darling falls victim to it. Lions? Raiders? All the analysts are just like "it's the rule, that's life", but if that happened to the Cowboys they would be calling for a geneva convention to overturn the result of the game.

ezra76
09-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Should have been a TD.

How can this be a TD but that not? GTFO with that crap.

_J0_WL06AAc

swimmer32
09-13-2010, 09:43 AM

This.

Call was correct.

Rule is ****ty.

EDIT: ^^Above video looks like a TD to me. Receiver was on the ground, bobbled the ball, but clearly regained possession with both hands while on the ground. He completed his fall to the ground, thus ending the process of the catch. Johnson was still hitting the ground when the ball squirted out after it hit the ground.

namean
09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Should have been a TD.

How can this be a TD but that not? GTFO with that crap.

_J0_WL06AAc

yeah, this ones even worse!

stevedarsh
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Come on guys, let's be reasonable. In 2010 the NFL Commisioner's Office clearly updated the rulebook to state that in order for a touchdown to be scored, a player must land in bounds with full possession of the ball along with two feet, two butt cheeks, two elbows down. He must then get up, mount a gryphon, fly to the top of the nearest mountain, ski down, hand deliver the ball to the referee: he will then have completed "The Process" as long as he's had full possession of the football and the touchdown will be scored.

http://cbswxyt.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/touchdown-wikipedia.jpg

TheRagingboxer
09-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Call was complete horse****. This coming from a Steeler fan. I have always liked the Lions and for them to play the way they did and get facked is bull man. Detroit deserves this win! NFL is becoming a league for pansies who cannot touch each other without getting flagged.

ChicagoCubz
09-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Call was complete horse****. This coming from a Steeler fan. I have always liked the Lions and for them to play the way they did and get facked is bull man. Detroit deserves this win! NFL is becoming a league for pansies who cannot touch each other without getting flagged.

lol "play the way they did"? They played like complete **** lol. They got dominated in yardage.

TheRagingboxer
09-13-2010, 10:19 AM
lol "play the way they did"? They played like complete **** lol. They got dominated in yardage.

Then I guess that does not say much for your Bears, I'm assuming you are a Bears fan!

REDFIVEO
09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
So it was the Raiders last year and the Lions this year.

We need this to happen to a good team that a lot of people like before the rule will be changed.

Sadly this is the truth. Why do I get the feeling that if that had been a receiver for the Steelers, Giants, Patriots or one of the other top teams it would have been ruled a touchdown because he "completed the process" before letting go of the ball whatever the hell that means.

namean
09-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Update:
Lions not fighting for the win. No protest. No nothing.
Losers will always be losers!!!

bustermac
09-13-2010, 10:36 AM
I agree. It was a brutal call. Officials need to be fired.

Brutal RULE.

They called it according to the rule. They did their job right. The RULE needs changed...which is a horrible rule.

I agree the Lions got screwed, but it was the rulebook bending them over, NOT the officials.

stevedarsh
09-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Brutal RULE.

They called it according to the rule. They did their job right. The RULE needs changed...which is a horrible rule.

I agree the Lions got screwed, but it was the rulebook bending them over, NOT the officials.

Actually, the interpretation of the rule was wrong. The "process of the catch" was finished. He was in the "process of standing up"

Ecnewyx
09-13-2010, 11:28 AM

If he had just stood up with the ball it would've stood as a TD.

Whether he had control or not, and I agree that he did, he puts the ball on the ground as he's sliding. Worse, he lets the ground knock the ball from his hand.

Edit:

Now that receivers know the rule exists they can just make sure they have possession before spiking the ball. Problem solved.

homicidal_misc
09-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Watch at 1:34

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2004122601/2004/REG16/bears@lions/watch

rules are rules

Bears dominated the Lions and the Lions were lucky it wasn't an easy blowout. The Bears moved the ball at will and the Lions couldn't move the ball to save their lives. Get over it.

namean
09-13-2010, 11:37 AM

rules are rules

Bears dominated the Lions and the Lions were lucky it wasn't an easy blowout. The Bears moved the ball at will and the Lions couldn't move the ball to save their lives. Get over it.

mad bears fan is mad because his team put up over 400 total offense and couldnt score worth $hit against the Lions hahahahaha

TheRagingboxer
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
mad bears fan is mad because his team put up over 400 total offense and couldnt score worth $hit against the Lions hahahahaha

Cutler will easily throw 25 interceptions this year. Maybe throw for 20 TD's.

Bear fans you mad your QB sucks?

homicidal_misc
09-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Cutler will easily throw 25 interceptions this year. Maybe throw for 20 TD's.

Bear fans you mad your QB sucks?

He's a top 5 QB and u mad. Best QB in the NFC North.

kethnaab
09-13-2010, 11:48 AM

bertstare

homicidal_misc
09-13-2010, 11:48 AM

How am I mad? Undefeated with a top 5 QB and best receiving RB since Marshall Faulk. #1 offense in the NFL. #2 Defense in the NFL. Greatest show on Grass. I think U the one that's mad. Namean?

TheRagingboxer
09-13-2010, 11:57 AM
How am I mad? Undefeated with a top 5 QB and best receiving RB since Marshall Faulk. #1 offense in the NFL. #2 Defense in the NFL. Greatest show on Grass. I think U the one that's mad. Namean?

Are u seriously going off statistics after week one. Undefeated after one game, soniamdissapoint! # 1 offense lol, #2 defense lulzing so hard I sh!t myself.

homicidal_misc
09-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Are u seriously going off statistics after week one. Undefeated after one game, soniamdissapoint! # 1 offense lol, #2 defense lulzing so hard I sh!t myself.

Go look it up. Best of the best. Complete domination.

TheRagingboxer
09-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Go look it up. Best of the best. Complete domination.

I did look it up. Only a Bears fan would post up statistics after week one. Come back and talk to me after week 16 and we will see where ur defense ranks then, prob 16 overall. Offense haha ill be nice and say 30.

Budly69
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM

You arent mad, you are a f*cking retard.

#1 Cutler blows, I know it, you know it, everybody knows it. You are just blowing smoke because your team stole a game from the Lions.

#2 Forte took one 90 on a dump pass, he is not Marshall Faulk. You cant honestly believe this can you?

#3 The Bears are going to get murdered by the Vikes and Pack, and will not beat the Lions in the next meeting. Cutler had a decent day against a sh*t secondary and got 90 yds that he did nothing to deserve, Forte did all the work.

#4 Best defense in the NFL? Really? REALLY?!?!

#5 You are a phaggot homer that is polluting the boards with sh*t like this. GTFO

TheRagingboxer
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM

#1 Cutler blows, I know it, you know it, everybody knows it. You are just blowing smoke because your team stole a game from the Lions.

#2 Forte took one 90 on a dump pass, he is not Marshall Faulk. You cant honestly believe this can you?

#3 The Bears are going to get murdered by the Vikes and Pack, and will not beat the Lions in the next meeting. Cutler had a decent day against a sh*t secondary and got 90 yds that he did nothing to deserve, Forte did all the work.

#5 You are a phaggot homer that is polluting the boards with sh*t like this. GTFO

^ This pretty much summed it up! Back to reality son!

homicidal_misc
09-13-2010, 12:36 PM

lol "stole one?" We let them in the game. They had no business being close. 463 yards vs 168.... DOMINATION. u mad? Yeah, Cutler blows. That's why he's a top 5 QB. Yeah, you mad.

Did you miss the GW TD you dumb ****? Or his entire career you dumb ****? He's an outstanding pass catcher for an RB. It's well known unless you are a cock sucker like you. lol u mad

lol The Bears beat the Queens last year when they had "magic" and played the ***gers close both times they played last year as well. Peppers will decapitate those two mediocre QBs Rodgers and Favre just like he did Stafford. U mad?

They are #2 in the NFL. I never said they were the best defense in the NFL, sorry. U mad?

Yup, u mad

LOL

21Classic
09-13-2010, 12:39 PM
the fact that we went from two hands to one hand palming the ball clearly shows pretty significant control

phaggot refs, shiit NFL, im angry

Im so happy football is back on :)

El Gilbro
09-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Is Cutler even a Top 5 QB on the Bears???

homicidal_misc
09-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Is Cutler even a Top 5 QB on the Bears???

omg so funny

production speaks otherwise. He's the best QB in the NFC North. Sorry, haters. I understand that the truth hurts.

namean
09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
omg so funny

production speaks otherwise. He's the best QB in the NFC North. Sorry, haters. I understand that the truth hurts.

Please....stop trolling.

Budly69
09-13-2010, 12:45 PM
lol "stole one?" We let them in the game. They had no business being close. 463 yards vs 168.... DOMINATION. u mad? Yeah, Cutler blows. That's why he's a top 5 QB. Yeah, you mad.

Yes you stole it. Your team had way more yards and better players and yet they still barely won. They shouldnt have won, anybody but the head refereee would have called it a TD and you would be quiet on these boards.

you miss the GW TD you dumb ****? Or his entire career you dumb ****? He's an outstanding pass catcher for an RB. It's well known unless you are a cock sucker like you. lol u mad

I saw the game winner, it CJ in the endzone but it got called back. No matter how you shake it Forte isnt/never will be good enough to dust off Marshall Faulks cleats. Suh got a sack yesterday so I guess I should start saying he is just as good/better than Reggie White. You are an ignorant phaggot.

The Bears beat the Queens last year when they had "magic" and played the ***gers close both times they played last year as well. Peppers will decapitate those two mediocre QBs Rodgers and Favre just like he did Stafford. U mad?

Rodgers and Favre are mediocre? Now you are just trolling, you arent using any logic what so ever. We'll see who's mad when Jared Allen or Clay Matthews does Cutler a favor and ends his career.

are #2 in the NFL. I never said they were the best defense in the NFL, sorry. U mad?

They are #2 because they played a team that has gone 2-30 over the last two seasons that only had their starting QB for half the game. You/all other Bears fan have NOTHING to brag about. FYI I'm not a Lions, Vikes, Pack fan. But I am against ignorant f*cks like you.

krazykarl
09-13-2010, 12:45 PM
in.

Loswaldo
09-13-2010, 12:51 PM
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6308/281bfk3.gif

If you watch this, you can clearly see that he is trying to do that spin thing. His wrist and fingers twist but it fails.

Poor decision.

leafs43
09-13-2010, 12:53 PM

If you watch this, you can clearly see that he is trying to do that spin thing. His wrist and fingers twist but it fails.

Poor decision.

lol wut?

As soon as the ball hits the ground it pops loose out of his hand. He wasn't trying to do anything with the ball.

homicidal_misc
09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes you stole it. Your team had way more yards and better players and yet they still barely won. They shouldnt have won, anybody but the head refereee would have called it a TD and you would be quiet on these boards.
Of course they should have. Detroit had no business being in the game. The better team won, as usual. Sorry, guy.

I saw the game winner, it CJ in the endzone but it got called back. No matter how you shake it Forte isnt/never will be good enough to dust off Marshall Faulks cleats. Suh got a sack yesterday so I guess I should start saying he is just as good/better than Reggie White. You are an ignorant phaggot.
lol u mad? ****ty logic is ****ty. Forte is closer to Faulk as a pass catcher than Sue will ever be to White.

Rodgers and Favre are mediocre? Now you are just trolling, you arent using any logic what so ever. We'll see who's mad when Jared Allen or Clay Matthews does Cutler a favor and ends his career.
mad

They are #2 because they played a team that has gone 2-30 over the last two seasons that only had their starting QB for half the game. You/all other Bears fan have NOTHING to brag about. FYI I'm not a Lions, Vikes, Pack fan. But I am against ignorant f*cks like you.
*yawn*
yup, you mad.

Like I said. Undefeated. First place. #1 offense. #2 defense. Top 5 QB, RB with elite receiving skills, HOF DE, HOF LBs, greatest show on grass, your Chicago Bears ladies and gentlemen. Get on our level.

krazykarl
09-13-2010, 12:56 PM

Poor decision.

your gif has excited my rage......

cheerupemokid
09-13-2010, 12:57 PM

They scored enough to win the game.

hahahaha

bertstare

Cutler does more with less than probably any QB out there.

Also, the media darling Aaron Rodgers threw two picks in his first game and got out shined by Michael Vick.

Everyone doesn't know that Cutler blows. Ignorant tools who think they're clever spout such nonsense. Fact: Cutler has the worst offensive line in the entire league. Fact: after one game, Cutler has the best TD to interception ratio in the NFC North.

LOL @ you being blase about a RB taking a screen pass 90 yards for a TD. Yeah, that happens all the time in every game, so comparing him to Marshall Faulk is stupid.

Also, Forte caught the game winning Touch Down pass.

Nice predictions, Nostradomus. But they still got to line up and play the games.

Uncontested
09-13-2010, 01:02 PM
ITT: you mad the call was correct

SpiderSense
09-13-2010, 01:09 PM

No, by rule that was a catch.

As soon as his hand and knee touched the ground with possession of the ball it was a catch.

Ain't **** in there about having to get up off the ground.

This is just NFL and the refs protecting the refs.

I will bet anybody here anything in the future they admit they were wrong.

RealSolutionPT2
09-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Sadly this is the truth. Why do I get the feeling that if that had been a receiver for the Steelers, Giants, Patriots or one of the other top teams it would have been ruled a touchdown because he "completed the process" before letting go of the ball whatever the hell that means.

agreed!

homicidal_misc
09-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm gonna post this again because some people are ignoring.

whatchu think? Is it different this time?

lol mad ***gots

El Gilbro
09-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Poor decision.

Watching that now, it's even more obvious to me today that it was a non-catch than it was yesterday. Problem is that he never came to a complete stop before he placed the ball on the ground. And his fingers closing as soon as the ball comes out and then opening right away (as if he was squeezing something hard and it was suddently no longer there) doesn't help matters. The way his hand closes is starting to convince me that the ground actually did knock the ball lose.

He dun goofed.

I bet he never makes that mistake again.

IraHays
09-13-2010, 01:36 PM

This is true.

But I guess he figured aftrer he landed both feet in, twice, fell on his leg, his hand then his butt, he was safe to celebrate.

It's crazy how the obscure rules seem to always effect the outcome of the game.

El Gilbro
09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
This is true.

But I guess he figured aftrer he landed both feet in, twice, fell on his leg, his hand then his butt, he was safe to celebrate.

It's crazy how the obscure rules seem to always effect the outcome of the game.
That's why I'm a fan of the "hand the ball to the ref" school of thought over the Desean Jackson "do a flip into the end zone but not really into the end zone" shenanigans.

Budly69
09-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Everyone doesn't know that Cutler blows. Ignorant tools who think they're clever spout such nonsense. Fact: Cutler has the worst offensive line in the entire league. Fact: after one game, Cutler has the best TD to interception ratio in the NFC North.

LOL @ you being blase about a RB taking a screen pass 90 yards for a TD. Yeah, that happens all the time in every game, so comparing him to Marshall Faulk is stupid.

Also, Forte caught the game winning Touch Down pass.

Nice predictions, Nostradomus. But they still got to line up and play the games.

Cutler does blow-brb 26 picks. He doesnt have the worst Oline in the league, Jason Campbell does. Fact: after one game stats dont mean a damn thing and everybody but delerious Bears fans know so. Especially considering you played the worst team in the league with the worst secondary in the league.

Forte-caught a short pass and took it the distance, this in no way makes him anything close to Marshall Faulk no matter how bad you want to think he is that good. He is not a bad RB but you phucking homers need to stop swinging from his nuts.

Im dont arguing with you phucking idiots, Im just going to say "what now?" when the Bears finish last in their division and Cutler throws another 20+ picks.

homicidal_misc
09-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Cutler does blow-brb 26 picks. He doesnt have the worst Oline in the league, Jason Campbell does. Fact: after one game stats dont mean a damn thing and everybody but delerious Bears fans know so. Especially considering you played the worst team in the league with the worst secondary in the league.
Lions went from most improved team to worst team in the NFL all of a sudden? lol. LOL. LOOOOOOOOOOOOL. Favre sucks. How many times has he thrown over 20 INTs. What a bum

Forte-caught a short pass and took it the distance, this in no way makes him anything close to Marshall Faulk no matter how bad you want to think he is that good. He is not a bad RB but you phucking homers need to stop swinging from his nuts.
LOL are you retarded or purposely ignoring what is being said? DID YOU MISS THE GW TD. THE ONE FORTE CAUGHT? It is also not based off just one game, dip ****. He's been a great pass catching RB since he got in the league.

Im dont arguing with you phucking idiots, Im just going to say "what now?" when the Bears finish last in their division and Cutler throws another 20+ picks.

lol u mad Bears=division champs with best QB in the division. Suck it.

Alec Trevelyan
09-13-2010, 02:21 PM
The rule should be as since he was falling down and landed with possesion....and his knee, butt and elbow hit the ground thats it....play dead....touchdown!

cheerupemokid
09-13-2010, 03:10 PM

Culter also threw 27 TD's, in a high school offensive system with a poor WR corps and a ****ty offensive line. He doesn't blow. Once again, only someone remarkably stupid would make such an assertion.

So you're complaining about using stats after the first game but you're dismissive of them based on...the Lions past history, the preseason? The only thing that matters this year is what happens this year.

The Raiders have the worst offensive line? Based on what, your desperation to not look stupid? Both QB's were sacked 4 times in their respective openers. So who was sacked the most in the preseason? Cutler. Beyond that, look at the talent. The Bears have one first round draft pick on their line and the earliest drafted guy after that is from the third round (and that guy is in the twilight of his career). And some of the guys starting for the Bears come from schools like Texas A&M Kingsville and San Diego State, not BCS powerhouses.

The Bears have selected one offensive lineman in the past seven years. It's GM has completely neglected the offensive line and it has resulted in the worst in Oline in the league.

Homicidal Misc called Forte the best pass catching RB since Marshall Faulk, instead of positing an intelligent response, you downplayed a 89 yard TD from a screen pass and completely ignored his game winning TD catch.

The only idiot here is you and that's because you're ignorant about the things you're trying to talk about. It's good that it appears you've decided to shut up, I'd suggest you spend some free time trying to educate yourself, so you don't look so stupid in the future.

beepbeep
09-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Watching that now, it's even more obvious to me today that it was a non-catch than it was yesterday. Problem is that he never came to a complete stop before he placed the ball on the ground. And his fingers closing as soon as the ball comes out and then opening right away (as if he was squeezing something hard and it was suddently no longer there) doesn't help matters. The way his hand closes is starting to convince me that the ground actually did knock the ball lose.

He dun goofed.

This is right.

No, by rule that was a catch.

As soon as his hand and knee touched the ground with possession of the ball it was a catch.

Ain't **** in there about having to get up off the ground.

This is just NFL and the refs protecting the refs.

I will bet anybody here anything in the future they admit they were wrong.
This is wrong.

urintrouble
09-13-2010, 03:30 PM
the iggys better be ready sunday cuz we cominnnnnnnnn. fuk da bears and jeff backus

chlaxman
09-13-2010, 03:35 PM
What are they gonna protest? Correct interpretation of a terrible rule?

Stompin_Tom
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
[IMhttp://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6308/281bfk3.gif[/IMG]

Poor decision.

what is "that spin thing"

percussion8903
09-13-2010, 06:02 PM
this happened once in high school i remember

namean
09-13-2010, 06:22 PM
your gif has excited my rage......

My rage has been extended when today the Lions moved on. Moved on? What the phuck!?!? Protest the phucking game man.

I like Jim Swartz (no homo) but come on man. Fight for a win for your phucking team!
All Lions fans are raging and you guys are like, we have to forget about it and move on to next week. GAY!!

namean
09-14-2010, 10:45 AM

He dun goofed.

lmao
He had complete control of the ball the ENTIRE way and had it gripped with one hand!

Process:
1)Catch ball CHECK
2)2 feet inbound CHECK
3)fall to ground with possession CHECK
4)turn body around CHECK
5) drop ball

COMPLETED CATCH IS COMPLETED!

Blasphemy
09-14-2010, 11:03 AM
BS call at it's finest.

TheRagingboxer
09-14-2010, 11:05 AM
All in all Cutler still sucks and will always suck.

BRB giving myself a shot of insulin.

FlexGunmetal
09-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Did you miss the GW TD you dumb ****? Or his entire career you dumb ****? He's an outstanding pass catcher for an RB. It's well known unless you are a cock sucker like you. lol u mad

lol The Bears beat the Queens last year when they had "magic" and played the ***gers close both times they played last year as well. Peppers will decapitate those two mediocre QBs Rodgers and Favre just like he did Stafford. U mad?

They are #2 in the NFL. I never said they were the best defense in the NFL, sorry. U mad?

Yup, u mad

LOL
You are trolling or an idiot if you think cutler is top 5 qb in the NFL. Or top 10.
You are trolling or an idiot if you think Cutler is the best QB in the NFCN.
You are trolling or an idiot if you think the bear's rank in offense or defense matters in week 2 after playing the lions.

bustermac
09-14-2010, 11:29 AM

You kidding? He may not be Top 5 in his own division.

bustermac
09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
That's why I'm a fan of the "hand the ball to the ref" school of thought over the Desean Jackson "do a flip into the end zone but not really into the end zone" shenanigans.

D-Hall knows how to do it right.

El Gilbro
09-14-2010, 11:41 AM
D-Hall knows how to do it right.
Yep. He was across the goal line before he did the flippy thing.

krazykarl
09-14-2010, 12:26 PM

My rage has been extended when today the Lions moved on. Moved on? What the phuck!?!? Protest the phucking game man.

I like Jim Swartz (no homo) but come on man. Fight for a win for your phucking team!
All Lions fans are raging and you guys are like, we have to forget about it and move on to next week. GAY!!

JS can't say anything - the league likely told everyone, including ESPN, to make this die.

The only thing that can make this right is a 500+ yard game from our offense this week.

VoxExMachina
09-14-2010, 12:29 PM
The call was not correct

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone.

He did. He had full control after he hit the ground. It was getting up that he set the ball down.

BS CALL

^ That. Anyone who has watched football for any number of years can clearly see that's a TD. Only through over-analysis and ridiculous hair-splitting justifications can you even begin to say it's not a TD. If you watch the VID posted earlier in this thread, even the ref standing there watching the play calls it a TD (forward to 0:27).

4s_EPK9MtJE

The Bears had better stats in the game, but they weren't necessarily a better team. They couldn't even rush for a TD with 1st and 10 from the Lions 1 yard line....in 4 downs. The Lions Defense was the best "team" on the field, and the Lions deserved that win.

swimmer32
09-14-2010, 01:00 PM
lmao
He had complete control of the ball the ENTIRE way and had it gripped with one hand!

Process:
1)Catch ball CHECK
2)2 feet inbound CHECK
4)turn body around CHECK
5) drop ball

COMPLETED CATCH IS COMPLETED!

The head of officials, who they were interviewing during the game as the decision was being made, disagrees with you. But I'm sure you're more qualified to interpret the NFL rules.

El Gilbro
09-14-2010, 01:09 PM
U Mad

lmao

Yep, the ENTIRE way....except for the part where the ground knocks it lose before he finishes his stupid exaggerated dive.

Process:
1)Catch ball CHECK
2)2 feet inbound CHECK
4)turn body around CHECK
5) drop ball before he comes to a complete stop thus finishing the "football move" CHECK

DROPPED CATCH IS INCOMPLETED!

Fixed

It's obvious by the way his hand snaps shut and reopens just after the ball is unexpectedly no longer in it that he didn't "place the ball down". The direction and how the ball pops out even indicates that the ground knocked it loose.

If his stupid exaggerated hop away and slide would have come to a dead stop before he lost the ball, he would've been fine. But it didn't. That's the price he pays for the weird exaggerated slide and palming the ball. We all know you're awesome, Megatron, just secure the damn ball and try not to show off with unnecessary one-handed nonsense.

(I also like how the gif has now been cut short to not show the ground causing the incompletion.)

namean
09-14-2010, 01:37 PM
U Mad

Yep, the ENTIRE way....except for the part where the ground knocks it lose before he finishes his stupid exaggerated dive.

Fixed

It's obvious by the way his hand snaps shut and reopens just after the ball is unexpectedly no longer in it that he didn't "place the ball down". The direction and how the ball pops out even indicates that the ground knocked it loose.

If his stupid exaggerated hop away and slide would have come to a dead stop before he lost the ball, he would've been fine. But it didn't. That's the price he pays for the weird exaggerated slide and palming the ball. We all know you're awesome, Megatron, just secure the damn ball and try not to show off with unnecessary one-handed nonsense.

(I also like how the gif has now been cut short to not show the ground causing the incompletion.)

Okay so not only 99.99998% of the fans believe it was a catch, but the NFL believes it was a catch!! so 99.99998% of fans PLUS the NFL are all wrong? lulz!!

El Gilbro
09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Okay so not only 99.99998% of the fans believe it was a catch, but the NFL believes it was a catch!! so 99.99998% of fans PLUS the NFL are all wrong? lulz!!
Where did the NFL say it was a catch? The refs on the field decided it wasn't a catch and the head of officiating for the league said the correct call was made in ruling it as incomplete.

Unless I missed something, the NFL agrees with the ruling of an incompletion.

Megatron dun goofed despite what all his fantasy owners and the 4 Detroit Lions fans in the country may think.

namean
09-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Where did the NFL say it was a catch? The refs on the field decided it wasn't a catch and the head of officiating for the league said the correct call was made in ruling it as incomplete.

Unless I missed something, the NFL agrees with the ruling of an incompletion.

Megatron dun goofed despite what all his fantasy owners and the 4 Detroit Lions fans in the country may think.

He had to!!! If he goes against the officials hes out of a job!

El Gilbro
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
So who else in the NFL said it was a catch???

namean
09-14-2010, 02:00 PM
so who else in the nfl said it was a catch???

All!!!!!

I can not list names for I will be sued by the NFL for hurting their image.

RAMBO316
09-14-2010, 02:22 PM
When a player is running into the endzone, all he has to do is break the plane with the ball, doesn't even have to possess it afterward.

theres different rules for running the ball in and catching the ball in the endzone... many different rules actually look them up.

cheerupemokid
09-14-2010, 02:27 PM

He isn't the head of the officials, he's the former head of officials and now a consultant on rules for Fox NFL games.

He called it during the game because he knew the rule.

theres different rules for running the ball in and catching the ball in the endzone... many different rules actually look them up.

Logic would dictate that there would need to be since a running back has possession of the ball before he crosses the line while in a pass you're transferring possession from QB to receiver.

beepbeep
09-14-2010, 02:29 PM
He's retired, so no, he didn't have to do anything. Plus, when he was still head of officiating, he was willing to admit when one of the refs messed up.

RAMBO316
09-14-2010, 02:30 PM
He isn't the head of the officials, he's the former head of officials and now a consultant on rules for Fox NFL games.

Logic would dictate that there would need to be since a running back has possession of the ball before he crosses the line while in a pass you're transferring possession from QB to receiver.

exactly... but you try explaining that to half the people in this thread, they have no brains.

RealSolutionPT2
09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
He's retired, so no, he didn't have to do anything. Plus, when he was still head of officiating, he was willing to admit when one of the refs messed up.

this is true

Docta
09-14-2010, 06:11 PM
1. It's a bad rule, but not a bad call.
2. Even if it was a TD, there was still time on the clock, so the Bears still had time for a few plays + a return from Hester.

krazykarl
09-14-2010, 07:44 PM

If you read the rule people keep quoting it's still a TD. Calvin never loses control of the ball so he doesn't need to regain control. Also notice that his left hand is out of the endzone before the ball is loose. There's 4 different ways this is a TD.

- 1 knee = 2 feet
- ass down with talon grip on the ball. (he controlled enough to transfer it from one hand to the other, the league's definition of control)
- went out-of-bounds after demonstrating control, thus establishing possession
- 2 feet down in-bounds after making contact with a defender

Bottom-line is the league ****ed-up and can't admit it because it would expose their product as having an issue.

cheerupemokid
09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
If you read the rule people keep quoting it's still a TD. Calvin never loses control of the ball so he doesn't need to regain control. Also notice that his left hand is out of the endzone before the ball is loose. There's 4 different ways this is a TD.

- 1 knee = 2 feet
- ass down with talon grip on the ball. (he controlled enough to transfer it from one hand to the other, the league's definition of control)
- went out-of-bounds after demonstrating control, thus establishing possession
- 2 feet down in-bounds after making contact with a defender

Bottom-line is the league ****ed-up and can't admit it because it would expose their product as having an issue.

No, the rule is that when you hit the ground you have to maintain possession through the entire process of the catch. You can't let it go when you hit the ground in the end zone or in the field of play (see the video in the link I posted for visual examples).

Here's video evidence on this website that shows the exact same call going against the Bears, including against the Lions:

http://www.playerpress.com/articles/11434-lions-calvin-johnson-non-td-catch-against-bears-clarification

The former head of officials who is now a Fox analyst stated the rule and called the outcome before it happened because he knew the rule.

krazykarl
09-14-2010, 08:45 PM
No, the rule is that when you hit the ground you have to maintain possession through the entire process of the catch. You can't let it go when you hit the ground in the end zone or in the field of play (see the video in the link I posted for visual examples).

Here's video evidence on this website that shows the exact same call going against the Bears, including against the Lions:

http://www.playerpress.com/articles/11434-lions-calvin-johnson-non-td-catch-against-bears-clarification

The former head of officials who is now a Fox analyst stated the rule and called the outcome before it happened because he knew the rule.

He called it because he wanted to show how clever he was knowing something so specific, and that's what fox pays him for. Notice how fast they went to him? Needs to make his $$$$ for the day!!! Explain this:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/carolina-panthers/09000d5d812c187e

And that video you posted is crap. The guy from the bears website shows other calls that went against the bears which were just bad calls - they have no bearing on what CJ did. CJ had posession, no bobble, and took steps in the endzone before going down where his knee and ass hit the ground. As soon as he had control and hit the ground the play is over.

Using your logic DBs can hit receivers as hard as they can to strip the ball out in the endzone to prevent touchdowns because the receivers are still "in process". Read the rule again: the only thing it states is in relation to regaining control once it's lost: CJ never looses control.

Im a receiver. I make a running catch in the endzone and run across the field in the endzone. So while I'm still in motion, after 20 steps, a DB can still light-me-up in an effort to dislodge the ball?

Really?

krazykarl
09-14-2010, 08:52 PM

Yup, u mad

LOL

Your team had 4 chances, in a row, to score from 2 feet out(failed.), had 3x more yards than us and almost lost the game. You should STFU now.

cheerupemokid
09-14-2010, 08:56 PM
He called it because he wanted to show how clever he was knowing something so specific, and that's what fox pays him for. Notice how fast they went to him? Needs to make his $$$$ for the day!!! Explain this:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/carolina-panthers/09000d5d812c187e

And that video you posted is crap. The guy from the bears website shows other calls that went against the bears which were just bad calls - they have no bearing on what CJ did. CJ had posession, no bobble, and took steps in the endzone before going down where his knee and ass hit the ground. As soon as he had control and hit the ground the play is over.

Using your logic DBs can hit receivers as hard as they can to strip the ball out in the endzone to prevent touchdowns because the receivers are still "in process". Read the rule again: the only thing it states is in relation to regaining control once it's lost: CJ never looses control.

Im a receiver. I make a running catch in the endzone and run across the field in the endzone. So while I'm still in motion, after 20 steps, a DB can still light-me-up in an effort to dislodge the ball?

Really?

No, because if you ran across the field you would have completed the process of the catch. Megatron was falling to the ground and so had to maintain possession of the ball through the fall.

It's a stupid rule and counter intuitive but as that video shows, it's applied pretty consistently.

krazykarl
09-14-2010, 09:03 PM
No, because if you ran across the field you would have completed the process of the catch. Megatron was falling to the ground and so had to maintain possession of the ball through the fall.

It's a stupid rule and counter intuitive but as that video shows, it's applied pretty consistently.

He did though - he slid on the ground and put the ball toward the ground to stand up.

Rule is stupid and arguably not applicable to this situation.

erftbll81
09-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Reps for vid?

JaxBrah
09-15-2010, 03:08 AM
The ground definitely knocked it loose, he didnt place it down, thats obvious. But that doesent matter, dude caught it, had full controll long before both his feet plus his knees and his ass touched the ground. Catch. Ground cant cause a fumble so its not even a fumble. Straight catch.

laughin_man
09-15-2010, 04:42 AM
if this is not a td, i dont how any of those situations where a receiver starts going out of bounds and barely puts his booth feet (all in the process of catching the ball) in the endzone can be ruled a td

in short: how is this a td and johnson's catch isnt?
BOfouSAAkZY

im not american, and im certainly far from an expert in football so id like someone to clarify this for me

ChicagoCubz
09-15-2010, 07:12 AM
if this is not a td, i dont how any of those situations where a receiver starts going out of bounds and barely puts his booth feet (all in the process of catching the ball) in the endzone can be ruled a td

BOfouSAAkZY

im not american, and im certainly far from an expert in football so id like someone to clarify this for me

Maybe the fact that he held on to the ball?

swimmer32
09-15-2010, 07:39 AM
He called it because he wanted to show how clever he was knowing something so specific, and that's what fox pays him for. Notice how fast they went to him? Needs to make his $$$$ for the day!!!

This makes no sense. He wanted to show how clever he was because he knew the rule?

He called it BEFORE the decision was announced, and explained the entire rule before the on field officials made the call after seeing the replay.

It's a dumb rule, but it was the right call. I don't see how anybody can view that video and say that Johnson just let the ball go because he was using it to get up.

namean
09-15-2010, 07:52 AM
lulz@the VERY FEW of you who say it was not a catch.
Jack Del Rio (Jaguars coach) even said it was a catch and a horrible call.
All of ESPN associates say it was a catch.
Leuttuce use some common sense people.

krazykarl
09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
This makes no sense. He wanted to show how clever he was because he knew the rule?

He called it BEFORE the decision was announced, and explained the entire rule before the on field officials made the call after seeing the replay.

It's a dumb rule, but it was the right call. I don't see how anybody can view that video and say that Johnson just let the ball go because he was using it to get up.

He may have lost control while -willingly- putting it down on the ground to get up. His ass was on the ground after switch the ball from one had to the other - why would he not think he was down?

He clearly had control through the catch and only after the catch and him being down did he lose control. This is why the call makes no sense - the play was over once he was down and had control.

kethnaab
09-15-2010, 11:10 AM
that was a catch, plain and simple. I don't even think the rule applies in this case because the "spirit of the rule" is to ensure the ground doesn't cause you to cough the ball up.

i.e. dude jumps up, gets horizontal, makes crazy catch but lands and the ball squirts out because the position of the WR when he hit the ground

it's obvious Megatron had full control of the ball. The fact that this is even a discussion makes me want to slap a zebra in the wild.

Ecnewyx
09-15-2010, 11:17 AM

Both feet in is to establish possession while within the field of play (so not really a part of the control aspect). Holmes has control of the ball as he's going out. He has control of the ball as he's going out of bounds and gets both feet in. He then hits the ground (out of bounds) but keeps control of the ball i.e., the ground doesn't dislodge the ball. It's a catch.

that was a catch, plain and simple. I don't even think the rule applies in this case because the "spirit of the rule" is to ensure the ground doesn't cause you to cough the ball up.

i.e. dude jumps up, gets horizontal, makes crazy catch but lands and the ball squirts out because the position of the WR when he hit the ground

it's obvious Megatron had full control of the ball. The fact that this is even a discussion makes me want to slap a zebra in the wild.

I agree with this entirely, except this is a plausible explanation for the same situation in which case the rule SHOULD apply:

- Receiver makes the catch
- As receiver is going to the ground he switches the ball to one hand so his other hand is free to break his fall
- The hand holding the ball hits the ground
- Ball comes loose

Not a catch.

kethnaab
09-15-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree with this entirely, except this is a plausible explanation for the same situation in which case the rule SHOULD apply:

- Receiver makes the catch
- As receiver is going to the ground he switches the ball to one hand so his other hand is free to break his fall
- The hand holding the ball hits the ground
- Ball comes loose

Not a catch.

in the case you describe, I agree that it is correct, "no catch". However, that isn't what happened.

ultimately, the question needs to be "did the ground cause the WR to lose possession of the ball before he established possession?"

FlexGunmetal
09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
The bottom line is it was a good catch, and a good call on a bad rule.

namean
09-15-2010, 12:31 PM
in the case you describe, I agree that it is correct, "no catch". However, that isn't what happened.

ultimately, the question needs to be "did the ground cause the WR to lose possession of the ball before he established possession?"

The ruling on the field stands.
We cant even get a call right when seeing it in slow motion. 1st down Bears.