PDA

View Full Version : Proein or carbohydrate?

StreetBaLL^
05-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi people,
I am taking at the moment creatin before I go to gym and
after training I have my protein shake.

I am wondering if its better to take one of these carbohydrate mixes (carbohydrate,protein and some other stuff) instead of just
pure protein? Cause I've read that carbohydrate is very important for fast muscel recovery. Well of course you would say that there are some carbohydrate in protein drinks too but anyway.........

What would you suggest gyus?

thanks in advance

cramron
05-18-2003, 11:28 AM
whey alone is used to replenish glycogen stores and that isnt a good thing...thats why simple carbs are taken post workout and i mean a **** load of carbs. i take in 120 grams of simple carbs 40 grams of whey 1 multi vitamin and 7 grams of creatine post workout within 2 minutes of my workout

pinoy
05-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by cramron
whey alone is used to replenish glycogen stores and that isnt a good thing

huh?

cramron
05-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by pinoy
huh? whey protein is turned into glycogen whent aken alone

pinoy
05-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by cramron
whey protein is turned into glycogen whent aken alone

are you talking about liver or muscle glycogen?

StreetBaLL^
05-18-2003, 01:21 PM
so you are saying that plus to my protein I have to take extra carbohydrate?????

Is that in general what you want to suggest?

ManOfSteel2003
05-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by StreetBaLL^
so you are saying that plus to my protein I have to take extra carbohydrate?????

Is that in general what you want to suggest?

Especially post workout you want to include carbs with your whey to induce an insulin surge to transfer the nutrients into your muscles.

Iwannagetbigger
05-18-2003, 07:57 PM
whey is really turned into glycogen?! That's insanely uncool...I always take whey upon rising and i take it for protein, not glycogen!

StreetBaLL^
05-19-2003, 07:02 AM
So is it better to use protein drink and buy a pure carbo. or it will be enough to just buy a carb. mix which already has something like 18g (per 100g.) protein included.........it will be much cheaper ;) he eh eh

Is that good enough?

janderstein
05-19-2003, 10:25 AM
I do not see how whey is used to replenish glycogen. protien is not broken down like carbs are, as it makes no sense to me. I guess ketogenically speaking some whey can be converted to glucose, but mainly to fuel the brain.

pounder
05-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by janderstein
I do not see how whey is used to replenish glycogen. protien is not broken down like carbs are, as it makes no sense to me. I guess ketogenically speaking some whey can be converted to glucose, but mainly to fuel the brain.

bump that.

janderstein
05-19-2003, 10:55 AM
streetball, save your money, and make the home brew which I personally like to call "badger milk"
Go out and buy either dextrose or maltodextrin, and mix 60-80g of either, with a scoop of your favorite whey isolate, add some glutamine, and there you have it bud, the post workout of champions. You can find dextrose or malto at most health food stores, or look to your local brewery