PDA

View Full Version : Is President Obama a bad person?

hwpnow
09-10-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm going to put this to a vote. Also, this thread is about President Obama, not President Bush or anyone else. Don't troll or stray off topic.

My opinion is, if you answer "yes" then it really doesn't matter what President Obama says or does, because it will be filtered through the lens of him being a bad person.

Here is an example:

If the President offers a tax break, and you believe in tax breaks, then at the bare minimum you should see who the tax break applies to, how much of a tax break you will be receiving, is it paid for (and if not, how much will it affect the deficit), etc. and then base your opinion of this decision on that.

But if you see the President as a bad person, then when he offers a tax break you are instinctively skeptical of it, whether you know anything about it or not. You are suspicious, he's at it again, he's lying, it's deceitful, he's hiding something, it masks controversial liberal policies, it's not important anyways, etc. You really don't need to know anything about the facts of the tax break, because your feelings have already reached a conclusion.

This is why, imo, right wing radio spends so much time demonizing the President. Every single day, every single thing the President does is wrong. It is scary for America, it's ill informed, it's ignorant/stupid/and wrong headed, it's radical, it's evil, it's harmful and intentionally corrupt. There is nothing the President can ever do right ever, because he is a bad person.

And for those that submerge themselves in this, then their opinions are instinctive. That's why if they are asked specific questions they will repeat talking points or spew insults without knowing what's going on at all.

Now, if you really do believe Obama is a bad person, then you should be able to provide a strong case to prove that, because there really are bad people in the world. If you could provide such evidence, you wouldn't have to add emotion or propaganda to it because the facts would speak for themselves.

But if the President is not a bad person, but you view him as a bad person, then watching any of his speeches, press conferences, interviews or events is a waste of time for you because he is providing information that is irrelevant to your decision making process. You have already determined that he is wrong before he said a word.

/post

StoliFun
09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I voted yes and didn't read your post. He's a politician.

hwpnow
09-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I voted yes and didn't read your post. He's a politician.

So the career alone makes him a bad person? Are you then suggesting if he chose a different line of work, then he'd be a good person?

amtharin
09-10-2010, 11:06 AM
No not at all, he seems like a nice person and a great dad. Although I think there is some truth to StoliFun post. He is just a terrible president.

Do you think Bush was a terrible person... no need to answer.

ToPHeR35
09-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I voted yes because of Obama's past history as a "community organizer" when he was Jesse's right hand man back in the day. But you know we're suppose to forget about all of that and pretend like it never happened.

BetterBehaved
09-10-2010, 11:21 AM
No. However, results are far more important than intentions.

Grimbeard
09-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Probably not. Just a bad president. But what can you expect from Hollywood?

leafs43
09-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Someone who has climbed the ranks of a major political party before the age of 50 obviously has done some awful deeds to get there. But that is all speculative.

Good person, bad person doesn't matter. He is a terrible leader.

RIKTER
09-10-2010, 11:37 AM
I dont think the president is a bad person and actually seems like a likable guy...his policies however are horrible.

StoliFun
09-10-2010, 11:40 AM
So the career alone makes him a bad person? Are you then suggesting if he chose a different line of work, then he'd be a good person?

For just about anyone to become a successful politician, they have to do things they fundamentally disagree with. They have to remind themselves that the end justifies the means.

If he had just stayed a lawyer / law professor / activist, he'd probably not have to have done any of the things he's done to get elected / push some legislation through.

Incidentally, I support him and think he's done a good job.

otisthebat
09-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Incidentally, I think he's done a good job.

he's done nothing but spend money and gotten no results.

brighamw
09-10-2010, 11:50 AM
ZlAk2w16lNo?fs=1&hl

:D

StoliFun
09-10-2010, 11:51 AM
he's done nothing but spend money and gotten no results.

Really? People much smarter than you disagree:

zgG0WHxnMqw

dubtastic
09-10-2010, 11:53 AM
LOL, I would venture to say that everyone that voted "YES" is caucasian. White people are fundamentally scared of the Black man's power!

brighamw
09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
LOL, I would venture to say that everyone that voted "YES" is caucasian. White people are fundamentally scared of the Black man's power!

Yes, that's it, you figured it out...

:cool:

otisthebat
09-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Really? People much smarter than you disagree:

zgG0WHxnMqw

didnt watch.

however even after all the money spent, the economy is still in the gutter, and the deficit is higher than ever.

GrokTheCube
09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
He's a poitician, so I lean towards yes but I'm not willing to make a definitive statement.

HELIX35
09-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm a racist if I say yes aren't I

brighamw
09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm a racist if I say yes aren't I

I'm a racist, he's a racist, she's a racist we're all racists wouldn't you like to be a racist too???

:D

Blindead
09-10-2010, 01:38 PM
No, but you're a bad poster.

Streetbull
09-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Obama is not evil, just in over his depth.

What did he get on those LSATs again?

StoliFun
09-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Happy birthday?

powerman2000
09-10-2010, 03:29 PM
He is a very bad president, but I wouldn't say he's a bad person.

hwpnow
09-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Ok, well according to the poll, a majority of people in the R&P believe that President Obama is indeed a bad person. My response to that is in the OP.

To those of you who do not believe he is a bad person, tell me, what does this say about those pedaling the notion that he is a bad person? If people are connecting him to terrorism, or to Hitler, or Islamic radicals, or the anti-Christ, or a snake oil salesman, or a racist, or someone with a deep seeded hatred towards white people, or someone who hates America and our freedoms, or a commander in thief, etc.? Are these people simply confused about what they see? Are they mature enough to hold adults conversations about politics? Do they know a hidden truth that we are all blind to? If they participate in polls, are their answers even credible? What's going on there?

To those that say "It's not that he's a bad person, it's just that ...HIS POLICIES ARE JUST SOOO BADDD OMG! THEY FCKIN SUCK, THEY ARE RUINING THIS NATION!! (blah blah etc.)" well, here are a few points on that:

1. For the most part, President Obama told all of us what he wanted to do during the election, and he won by a sweeping majority. Though imperfect, he has not strayed too far from what he campaigned on. And any reasonable person would have to admit that. So, most of what he is doing should not be a surprise to any of us really.

2. Why are you so vague? "His policies blah blah blah". Specifically which policies. "All of them!" No, be specific, and don't cut and paste some crap you read elsewhere. I want to know that you are thinking about this, not just ranting in emotion. And if you are, then you should be able to detail specifically what you don't like and why (specifically), what a better alternative would be and why (specifically), what results you believe your ideas would bring to this nation (or the ideas of a candidate you like) verses the ideas of our current administration and why (specifically). And you should be able to do all of this without getting all emotional, or insulting or spewing talking points etc. because after all, you're right, ...right? I mean, you know it all, you have the correct answers for this nation.

So why don't you spend more time educating the rest of us as to the correct answers for this nation (in terms of specific policy changes and specific results you expect and why) without emotion? Then, you might actually sway reasonable people towards your arguments and garner support for your future candidate or cause.

I'll tell you this, if any one of you brought a sound detailed solution to the nations problems in the manner that I just described, I would be willing to consider it and also be willing to support someone else next election.

Try being for something, not merely against.

/post

Blindead
09-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Lmao. Obama's biggest policies have been - vast expansion of governmental spending and a health care mandate. He campaigned on reigning in spending, health care WITHOUT a mandate and governmental transparency - he failed on all 3. He kind of sort of made good on his promise about the Iraq War, but not really.

hooked4life
09-10-2010, 04:44 PM

I'd be willing to bet anything I have, or will ever have, that Obama would destroy Palin on an LSAT.

Streetbull
09-10-2010, 05:22 PM
I'd be willing to bet anything I have, or will ever have, that Obama would destroy Palin on an LSAT.

How would you vote if they faced each other in 2012?