PDA

View Full Version : Bulking macro advice

Anthony21
08-31-2010, 06:17 AM
Real simple. I'm bulking for mainly strength.

Macros I have

92g Fat=828 cal
250g Pro=1000 cal
400g Carbs=1600 cal

Total 3,428

How do these macros look?

PJRolls
08-31-2010, 06:34 AM
Please give more information.
People always come on here looking for answers given to them without giving anything themselves.
For someone that lays in bed all day and only leaves once to hit the gym, may gain just great with those macros, but if you're working intensive labour all day and hitting the gym you may require more.
You really need to put more info. Lifestyle, workout routine and number of days a week doing weights/cardio/extra sports. What your current maintenance is, how you are currently eating etc.
Then people will have something to work with to help you
hope that helps
P

Anthony21
08-31-2010, 06:37 AM
Work customer service sitting 8 hours a day, lifting 4x a day with HIIT post workout.

I didn't want to make my post extensive so I apologize for not providing much info to go off on.

Anthony21
08-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Bump

SuffolkPunch
08-31-2010, 07:18 AM
Looks fine to me. Carbs should be mostly from starch

Anthony21
08-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Looks fine to me. Carbs should be mostly from starch

Right. Oatmeal, Whole grain bread, Yams/Sweet Potatos etc is my usual consumption of carbs along with milk, veggies(ya they don't count) etc.

So macros are cool?

kusok
08-31-2010, 08:00 AM
Depends on how you do on higher carbs VS higher fat. I know people who would get fat and be miserable craving butter and cream with your diet above. What you listed is a typical bodybuilding diet for people with good insulin sensitivity. Lyle McDonald theorizes that people who get ****ty results from such macro breakdown would do a lot better on low carbs/higher fat.

But judging from your av you got no insulin issues. Eat up those carbs bro! Looking good (strong homo)

The only thing is, you should cycle cals (carbs) in non-linear way. Instead of your 3500 intake, do 4000 on heavy lifting days and 3000 on rest days. Same calories total, but better results. They all (Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, Chris Aceto etc etc etc) recommend this. I'm trying it now, I LOVE it.

Anthony21
08-31-2010, 08:03 AM
Depends on how you do on higher carbs VS higher fat. I know people who would get fat and be miserable craving butter and cream with your diet above. What you listed is a typical bodybuilding diet for people with good insulin sensitivity. Lyle McDonald theorizes that people who get ****ty results from such macro breakdown would do a lot better on low carbs/higher fat.

But judging from your av you got no insulin issues. Eat up those carbs bro! Looking good (strong homo)

Thanks bro for the advice. I guess it's all just about adjusting my macros and figuring out what works. I just don't want to get "fat" but you know what I'm in it for the strength gains so if the fat comes i'll welcome it. That's why we cut right haha.

kusok
08-31-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks bro for the advice. I guess it's all just about adjusting my macros and figuring out what works. I just don't want to get "fat" but you know what I'm in it for the strength gains so if the fat comes i'll welcome it. That's why we cut right haha.

see edit above also bro.

Also, I would recommend bulking real slow, aka lean gains, at least at first few weeks. it's really easy to get impatient and start trying to get bigger sooner, and get fat... Tried it :(
It is important to come out of your cut or diet slowly, transitioning into a lean gains phase SLOWLY, as your body MAY be wired to re-store the much desired fat that you deprived it of if you dieted.

SuffolkPunch
08-31-2010, 08:27 AM
Right. Oatmeal, Whole grain bread, Yams/Sweet Potatos etc is my usual consumption of carbs along with milk, veggies(ya they don't count) etc.

So macros are cool?

Yes. You mentioned sweet potatos but not regular potatos, I hope that is not because of their GI value - GI is a not worth worrying about. It's not why we avoid processed carbs - that is more becaused processed carbs are missing the protein/fibre/micronutrients than whole carbs have

Anthony21
08-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Yes. You mentioned sweet potatos but not regular potatos, I hope that is not because of their GI value - GI is a not worth worrying about. It's not why we avoid processed carbs - that is more becaused processed carbs are missing the protein/fibre/micronutrients than whole carbs have

Forgot about potatos ha. Appreciate the info. Yea i've read on this board about not worrying so much about the GI content so much and stick with clean carbs which I have been.

Anthony21
08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
see edit above also bro.

Also, I would recommend bulking real slow, aka lean gains, at least at first few weeks. it's really easy to get impatient and start trying to get bigger sooner, and get fat... Tried it :(
It is important to come out of your cut or diet slowly, transitioning into a lean gains phase SLOWLY, as your body MAY be wired to re-store the much desired fat that you deprived it of if you dieted.

Hey bro what's the logic behind hitting say 3500 calories on rest days and 4000 on lifting days?

kusok
08-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey bro what's the logic behind hitting say 3500 calories on rest days and 4000 on lifting days?

Lifting uses lots of energy, resting less energy, so you eat for whatever you will be doing on that day.

Think of how it's advised to surround your work-out with meals on both sides for extra energy and recovery. This is simply an extension of this principle. On heavy lifting days you eat more so that you tear **** up in the gym and grow more, while on rest days you keep cals down (and thus control unwanted fat gain that way)

Anthony21
08-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Lifting uses lots of energy, resting less energy, so you eat for whatever you will be doing on that day.

Think of how it's advised to surround your work-out with meals on both sides for extra energy and recovery. This is simply an extension of this principle. On heavy lifting days you eat more so that you tear **** up in the gym and grow more, while on rest days you keep cals down (and thus control unwanted fat gain that way)

Figured that. The problem I had and am facing currently is I went from a cut straight into a higher calorie count/bulk. My focus is on increasing strength and of course mass. I have fat gains which meh i'm learning to deal with (specifically the lower belly area). I'm fine though cause I know that my strength is increasing. When I cut i'll hope to get this reduced.

kusok
08-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Figured that. The problem I had and am facing currently is I went from a cut straight into a higher calorie count/bulk. My focus is on increasing strength and of course mass. I have fat gains which meh i'm learning to deal with (specifically the lower belly area). I'm fine though cause I know that my strength is increasing. When I cut i'll hope to get this reduced.

I too gain fat easily (along with lots of strength)
At this time I'm experimenting with very lean slow slow slow gains. I'll see how it goes in a few weeks.
I'm also low carbing now to see how my body responds to higher fat, and then after a few weeks I'll low fat/high carb to see where I gain more fat etc.

Anthony21
08-31-2010, 03:55 PM
I too gain fat easily (along with lots of strength)
At this time I'm experimenting with very lean slow slow slow gains. I'll see how it goes in a few weeks.
I'm also low carbing now to see how my body responds to higher fat, and then after a few weeks I'll low fat/high carb to see where I gain more fat etc.

Right on man. That's what i've been learning. I mean all the advice I've gained is great and valuable but it all comes down to experimenting. So i'll try that reduction in calories on rest days and then upping them to 4000 on lifting days and see how this works. Thanks for the advice. Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any other advice ha.