PDA

View Full Version : Naps?

blackhawks87
08-21-2010, 03:32 AM
So I have to get up at 4:45 A.M. every morning for work, Id love to just go to bed at 7 p.m. everynight but unfortuantely the constraints of women and family kinda make that hard haha. I usually get in bed around 9:30 asleep by 10:00. My question is, do you think that a 1 hour nap after the gym would be helpful for recovery? I am worried about hurting my gains because of sleep deprivation. I know about the REM Cycle and everything so I always kind of thought a one hour nap was pointless, but what do you guys think? Can i just count that as another hour of sleep towards my total?

typh
08-21-2010, 04:15 AM
So I have to get up at 4:45 A.M. every morning for work, Id love to just go to bed at 7 p.m. everynight but unfortuantely the constraints of women and family kinda make that hard haha. I usually get in bed around 9:30 asleep by 10:00. My question is, do you think that a 1 hour nap after the gym would be helpful for recovery? I am worried about hurting my gains because of sleep deprivation. I know about the REM Cycle and everything so I always kind of thought a one hour nap was pointless, but what do you guys think? Can i just count that as another hour of sleep towards my total?

You won't really hit REM with an hour nap as REM usually occurs after 90+ minutes of sleep. There are also more things that go on during prolonged sleep periods than just REM. I believe you're looking for NREM. I also am up by 4:30AM (this is changing tho as I am changing my workout schedule). I don't know all the ins and outs but my suggestion would be to pick a few nights a week when you do allow yourself a good full 8 hours to crash. As for the nap I would keep it down to 30 minutes anything over and you may fall into deep sleep and it will be hard to wake up, you'll feel groggy, and may feel like crap. Keep it to 30 minutes this should give you a bit of a recharge without the groggy effect.

In addition, your body produces a much-needed hormone during sleep one that helps repairs and maintain your muscles and bones. As mentioned in sawka.com, during Stages 3 and 4 of NREM sleep, the body receives almost entire daily dose of an important hormone called human growth hormone (HGH). HGH is secreted by the pituitary, an endocrine gland located at the base of the brain. As a protein hormone, HGH allow the repair, maintenance and growth of bones and muscle by ensuring the utilization of amino acids, the important raw material of protein. Although the actual synthesis of protein and repair of muscles may take place both during the day and at night, the body does require NREM sleep in order to release the hormone in the first place.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1317952/how_nrem_sleep_can_repair_and_maintain.html