PDA

View Full Version : Agar: The ultimate dieting food?

gischer
01-29-2007, 05:39 PM
I just learned in my physiology class today that agar is a substance taken from seaweed kelp which, when mixed with water and boiled forms a jelly-like substance (the same exact stuff they use in petri dishes).

It is pretty flavorless and there are no enzymes in the body that can break it down. The result: You eat it and your body cannot break it down to digest it and you get ZERO calories from it. However the fact that you are eating something with some substance gives you the illusion that you are full. It is often an ingredient in asian cooking as a thickening agent.

does anybody know anything else about agar?

dempo25
01-29-2007, 06:25 PM
hows that the ultimate dieting food? its the ultimate starving substance

jf1
01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
you get the same benefits from fiber!
takes along time to chew, is indigestible, stays in the gut a long time so it gives the impression of fullness.

agar is like a thick sort of jello...or better yet , like the thick skin that jello develops if left out for a long time...hardly appetizing!

alexclark
01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Screw that. Eat veggies instead.

CHM
01-29-2007, 07:19 PM
where would you buy it?

gischer
01-29-2007, 08:51 PM
where would you buy it?

at some kind of asian market.

personally i haven't bothered with it, but i suppose if you are cutting down and have "hunger problems" then i'm sure there could be some interesting recipies with it.

WickedMindstate
01-29-2007, 09:30 PM
I used to be a compulsive overeater, so sugar free jello used to aid in curbing my appitite. The thought of eating ground up hooves grossed me out but it was either that or weight gain.

Long story short: I came across agar-agar and now make my own jello. I buy it powdered and add freshly squeezed fruit juice. It tastes great and you can do many things with the jelly.