PDA

View Full Version : How much bulking is too much?

Reynalto
08-18-2010, 12:39 PM
How do you know if when your bulking your eating too many calories? Is what I'm doing now too much?

This is what I'm doing for my bulk:

6:00am breakfast-
4 table spoons on peanut butter
6 slices of whole wheat bread
2 apples
I cup of milk mixed with egg white protein powder

9:00am-
Whey protein shake with milk

12:00pm lunch-
same thing as breakfast

3:00pm-
Whey protein mixed with milk (post workout)

6:00pm dinner-
same thing as breakfast

9:00pm-
Whey protein mixed with milk

Supplements: multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin D
This comes to 3650 calories, 280g of protein, 480g of carbs, 90g of fat.

bseidl
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
If you're gaining weight too rapidly then your calories are too high

Where's the meat? Looks like most of your protein is coming from powder. Not good!

Reynalto
08-18-2010, 12:59 PM
If you're gaining weight too rapidly then your calories are too high

Where's the meat? Looks like most of your protein is coming from powder. Not good!

Does it really matter if the protein's from meat or from powder? It's just more convenient to prepare and drink a protein shake then having to cook all the meat then eat it. I did that before and it was very frustrating trying to organize and store everything.

MikeK46
08-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Meat?? Fish?? Chicken?? Whole eggs?? Vegetables??

Wesley1992
08-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Does it really matter if the protein's from meat or from powder? It's just more convenient prepare and drink a protein shake then having to cook all the meat then eat it. I did that before and it was very frustrating trying to organize and store everything.

Three words: Moderation, moderation, moderation. You're gonna get sick from all those powders you're taking in. Your body needs natural organic foods.

Bulking is too much when you start to get more fat around certain areas like the waist and thighs at an increasing rate. When this happens, drop your calorie intake by a 100 or so and see what happens. I usually eat only 200-250 calories over my maintenance.

borcic0
08-18-2010, 01:34 PM
If you dont switch up your meals and give yourself variety you'l probably find yourself months time making a thread saying I binged and ate too much lol.. Just saying that its better to east more natural food and alot more variety because you definitly will get bored with this diet no doubt

TomEst
08-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Do what works for you, regarding amounts. It's really not that hard. Some people 'bulk' on 250 surplus. Some don't. Me, I bulk on an 800 surplus.

But yeah... variety for foods would be nice.

Breaker10
08-18-2010, 01:39 PM
it all depends on you body's repsonse. if you're gaining too fast, it's too much. if not, you're fine. some people NEED 4000+ calories just to gain .5lbs per week, whereas some can gain the same amout on less than 2000. how fast have you been gaining?

Saintly
08-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Do what works for you, regarding amounts. It's really not that hard. Some people 'bulk' on 250 surplus. Some don't. Me, I bulk on an 800 surplus.

But yeah... variety for foods would be nice.

Lucky... I wish my body would increase NEAT to such an extent in response to overfeeding.

kfisherx
08-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Does it really matter if the protein's from meat or from powder? It's just more convenient prepare and drink a protein shake then having to cook all the meat then eat it. I did that before and it was very frustrating trying to organize and store everything.

No it doesn't matter (meat or powder) but I too cringe when I see mostly powder in people's diets. Just seems so unatural. Facts are that your body really doesn't care provided you are getting an otherwise healthy diet.

WRT your real question the answer is that it is 100% up to you to decide. Some people prefer to bulk more hardcore which allows them some better overall gains. Problem with this is at the end of the day they have to cut really hard to dump all the fat they put on. Other people prefer to bulk "cleanly" (as they call it) and the end result for these folks is a bit less mass. How you do it is really up to you. Do you want to go all out and can you handle adding fat? Then go all out. Would you prefer keeping that leanish sort of look over gaining the very most amount of muscle? Then reign in the cals. It is 100% a personal decision.

DavyGrolton
08-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Meat?? Fish?? Chicken?? Whole eggs?? Vegetables??

THIS.

OP your diet sucks.

Saintly
08-18-2010, 05:19 PM
THIS.

OP your diet sucks.

Ouch, that's kind of harsh...

And I assume you got to 216 pounds at 17 by following an impeccably well-planned diet?

Edit: 206 I mean, but something tells me it's not solid muscle... could be your lack of avatar.

DavyGrolton
08-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Ouch, that's kind of harsh...

And I assume you got to 216 pounds at 17 by following an impeccably well-planned diet?

Edit: 206 I mean, but something tells me it's not solid muscle... could be your lack of avatar.

I started training in January 2008 @ less than 100 pounds and got up to 235 pounds this spring.

I've been cutting since May and I'm around 200 now.

And yeah I'm anal as hell with my diet at the moment.

IIzzz
08-18-2010, 05:49 PM
One of the worst deits Iv seen in a while, why so depended on the same food and so many shakes, bulking is suppose to be fun and all different types of foods

RobocopIsBack
08-18-2010, 05:50 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:gsqDLU790nycZM:http://memegenerator.net/Obama-/ImageMacro/1406178/SmallThumbnail.jpg

Reynalto
08-19-2010, 10:37 AM
No it doesn't matter (meat or powder) but I too cringe when I see mostly powder in people's diets. Just seems so unatural. Facts are that your body really doesn't care provided you are getting an otherwise healthy diet.

WRT your real question the answer is that it is 100% up to you to decide. Some people prefer to bulk more hardcore which allows them some better overall gains. Problem with this is at the end of the day they have to cut really hard to dump all the fat they put on. Other people prefer to bulk "cleanly" (as they call it) and the end result for these folks is a bit less mass. How you do it is really up to you. Do you want to go all out and can you handle adding fat? Then go all out. Would you prefer keeping that leanish sort of look over gaining the very most amount of muscle? Then reign in the cals. It is 100% a personal decision.

I realize the diet I laid out really sucks I was using it as an example. I'm just now in the process of creating it and will revise it.
I want to bulk as clean as possible by eating foods that are as natural and unrefined as possible but I'm just so confused about how many calories I should eat and what macro nutrient ratios my diet should be.

Reynalto
08-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I calculated my caloric needs from the thread titled "Calculating Calorie Needs and Macronutrients" by Emma-Leigh(can't post link because I need 30 posts to post links) using the Katch-McArdle method I found out my BMR was around 1638 cals then I multiplied it by an activity factor of 1.5 and got 2457 cals.Then it said to gain weight I should add 10%-20% more calories so I multiplied my number of calories by 10% and got 2702.
I don't know if the methods Emma-Leigh presented were accurate or not.

If I were to have a clean diet of 2700 calories how would I go about doing that? (clean in my standards meaning no weight gainers, bread of any kind, no alcohol, nothing with saturated fat, nothing with refined sugar, no refined grains, basically nothing unnaturally made by humans except no-carb protein shakes.)

Also does anyone have any tips on preparing food in a time conservative manner?

Budjola
08-19-2010, 11:45 AM
to muchs shakes, drink only one post workout, replace others with real solid food

Magalhaes9
08-19-2010, 11:56 AM
How do you know if when your bulking your eating too many calories? Is what I'm doing now too much?

This is what I'm doing for my bulk:

6:00am breakfast-
4 table spoons on peanut butter
6 slices of whole wheat bread
2 apples
I cup of milk mixed with egg white protein powder

9:00am-
Whey protein shake with milk

12:00pm lunch-
same thing as breakfast

3:00pm-
Whey protein mixed with milk (post workout)

6:00pm dinner-
same thing as breakfast

9:00pm-
Whey protein mixed with milk

Supplements: multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin D
This comes to 3650 calories, 280g of protein, 480g of carbs, 90g of fat.

You should try something more like this (below). A lot more real foods instead of the powders and shakes. You could consider replacing one of the snacks with a weight gainer, that worked well for me. If you think its too difficult to prepare and organize than you are not committed enough.

TOTALS: 3,731 calories, 359 g protein, 380 g carbs, 86 g fat

BEFORE BREAKFAST
1 scoop whey protein (mix in water)
1 medium banana

BREAKFAST
3 whole eggs + 3 egg whites
2 cups cooked oatmeal

MORNING SNACK
8 oz. low-fat cottage cheese + 1 cup sliced pineapple
6 whole-wheat crackers + 1 Tbsp. peanut butter

LUNCH
8 oz. turkey deli meat
4 slices whole-wheat bread (make sandwiches; feel free to add low-fat mayo and/or mustard)
2 cups green salad + 2 Tbsp. low-fat balsamic vinaigrette

PREWORKOUT SNACK
1 large apple

POSTWORKOUT SNACK
2 scoops whey protein +
1 scoop casein protein (mix in water)
1 medium plain bagel + 2 Tbsp. jelly

DINNER
8 oz. top sirloin
1 large sweet potato
1 cup chopped broccoli
2 cups green salad +2 Tbsp. salad dressing (olive oil and vinegar)

NIGHTTIME SNACK
1 oz. English walnuts
2 scoops casein protein (mix in water)

Reynalto
08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
You should try something more like this (below). A lot more real foods instead of the powders and shakes. You could consider replacing one of the snacks with a weight gainer, that worked well for me. If you think its too difficult to prepare and organize than you are not committed enough.

BEFORE BREAKFAST
1 medium banana

BREAKFAST
2 cups cooked oatmeal

MORNING SNACK

LUNCH
8 oz. turkey deli meat
4 slices whole-wheat bread (make sandwiches; feel free to add low-fat mayo and/or mustard)

PREWORKOUT SNACK
1 large apple

POSTWORKOUT SNACK
2 scoops whey protein +

DINNER
8 oz. top sirloin
1 large sweet potato
1 cup chopped broccoli

NIGHTTIME SNACK
1 oz. English walnuts

Do you have any tips or links on how to organize eating?

DavyGrolton
08-19-2010, 03:23 PM

BEFORE BREAKFAST
1 medium banana

BREAKFAST
2 cups cooked oatmeal

MORNING SNACK

LUNCH
8 oz. turkey deli meat

PREWORKOUT SNACK
1 large apple

POSTWORKOUT SNACK
2 scoops whey protein +

DINNER
8 oz. top sirloin
1 large sweet potato
1 cup chopped broccoli

NIGHTTIME SNACK
1 oz. English walnuts

Unless you weigh 250+ pounds lean then that is a massive excess of protein.

DanTheManB
08-19-2010, 03:25 PM

it's too high because his carbs are high as well.

IMO if u want high protein drop carbs to like 225-275 instead.

dunno...everyone is different. my best bulk came with me doing 375-400g protein, 300carbs and 150 g fat/day

DavyGrolton
08-19-2010, 03:29 PM
it's too high because his carbs are high as well.

IMO if u want high protein drop carbs to like 225-275 instead.

dunno...everyone is different. my best bulk came with me doing 375-400g protein, 300carbs and 150 g fat/day

Why not save money, put less stress on your kidneys and have more energy by bringing carbs up and bringing your protein down to <300grams a day?

AnabolicFyre
08-19-2010, 03:29 PM
When you break past 15% your too fat imo.

UpComming916
08-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Enjoy getting fat.

DanTheManB
08-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Why not save money, put less stress on your kidneys and have more energy by bringing carbs up and bringing your protein down to <300grams a day?

strength.

like i say everyone is different. I feel WAY stronger on higher protein and moderate carbs with high fat.

carbs are great for energy out the wazoo but actual raw strength meat works better. at least for me

EL37
08-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Does it really matter if the protein's from meat or from powder? It's just more convenient to prepare and drink a protein shake then having to cook all the meat then eat it. I did that before and it was very frustrating trying to organize and store everything.

Beef increases testosterone as do most other red meats. Turkey also has Tryptophan which helps you sleep better which is why I like it before bed.

Magalhaes9
08-20-2010, 05:58 AM

I actually pulled that from a MF magazine and it is for someone who is 200-215 lbs. Obviously it needs to be tailored based on your size and metabolism. It is a little excessive, but he posted saying he doesn't like to organize and put everything together. So in my opinion, if he were to get even 75% of those meals in a day he would be in good shape.

What would you recommend for a bulking meal plan?