PDA

View Full Version : Should protein powder with meals be different?

EnergyMassExchange
08-13-2010, 06:48 AM
I have a quick question for someone with knowledge/experience in this area.

Like many people I supplement some of my meals with a protein powder shake. I have been using the Optimum 100% Whey Protein for this. However it is supposedly designed for fast absorption, ie. pre/post workout situations, right? I want to know if a different slower acting protein is more appropriate to have with my normal non workout meals, or if it does not really matter.

seniorhobo
08-13-2010, 07:28 AM
I dont think its a good idea to swap a whole meal for a protein shake, most whole meals have more than just protein in them for a reason. There are Meal replacement shakes such as Scivation Solution 5 that contain all the other nutrients if you dont have time to prepare a meal. Personally though Whole food > Shakes. Still have your protein shake pre/post though.

InclineDBPresss
08-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Its all good, here why

Lets say u eat every 3 hours

Meal 1 8am - breakfast
meal 2 11am - chicken
meal 3 2pm - replaced with whey only
meal 4 5pm - chicken
etc

Your meal 2's protein is still digesting in your gut for 4-6 hours after you take it since it was whole food... So its not like 30 min after the shake you will have nothing in your stomach.

EnergyMassExchange
08-13-2010, 07:42 AM
I dont think its a good idea to swap a whole meal for a protein shake, most whole meals have more than just protein in them for a reason. There are Meal replacement shakes such as Scivation Solution 5 that contain all the other nutrients if you dont have time to prepare a meal. Personally though Whole food > Shakes. Still have your protein shake pre/post though.

Ah, I think you misunderstood my meaning. I am adding the shake to my meal. If you check out the amateur body builders of the week you'll find that many of them add some protein powder to their meals. Some like having casein protein before bed since it is supposed to be slow burning so you supposedly do not wake up hungry.

InclineDBPresss
08-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Ah, I think you misunderstood my meaning. I am adding the shake to my meal. If you check out the amateur body builders of the week you'll find that many of them add some protein powder to their meals. Some like having casein protein before bed since it is supposed to be slow burning so you supposedly do not wake up hungry.

Oh, in that case whey might be better. The reason they do that is probably because whey has more amino acids than some whole foods, so when combinining whey + whole food sources supposedly it helps make the whole food proteins get to the muscles more efficiently. Also, a lot of whey supplements contain a protein enzyme which helps not just the whey to be digested but also the other proteins from the meal.

I'd expect it to only make small difference though

Also, casien pre bed is a different story, it is a good idea but for diff reasons

EnergyMassExchange
08-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Oh, in that case whey might be better. The reason they do that is probably because whey has more amino acids than some whole foods, so when combinining whey + whole food sources supposedly it helps make the whole food proteins get to the muscles more efficiently. Also, a lot of whey supplements contain a protein enzyme which helps not just the whey to be digested but also the other proteins from the meal.
I'd expect it to only make small difference though.

Cool info, thanks! Hopefully we'll hear from someone who can verify if it makes a small difference or not.

Also, casein pre bed is a different story, it is a good idea but for diff reasons

Can you link me to the casein before bed reasoning? If I wanted a veg friendly option, would something like soy or tofu work in place of casein?