PDA

View Full Version : Gone far on my own, need some expert advice

BigMurph11B
08-11-2010, 06:50 AM
I have always enjoyed working out and am not new to the gym or fitness. I have been in the Army (Infantry) almost 5 years. I have only recently started lifting and dieting with effectivness. I weighed in Jan 298lbs at 30% body fat, im currently at 238lbs and around 17-18% body fat, i take in less than 2500 cals a day with protien at or around 235lbs, carbs lower than 70g. My workouts were just 3x10 in the chest/back/arms/legs routine. That with combat patrolls in full gear (im in iraq currently) have pushed me to the best physice i have had in a long time. My 2 mile run time is 13:30's and i recently ran a 7k in 31min. So my cardio is legit.

Now i have started a new workout, it is more intense. I started yesterday and have NEVER been this sore from my workouts ever. I execute the BEST form i possibly can and focus on short recover between sets ( as long as my workout partner takes to finish ) I eat 5 meals a day (including shakes, as im not able to get food from the chowhall but 3 times a day) This is my new workout.

Mon, Wed, Fri

Chest:
Bench press 5 x 6-10
Flat bench flyes 5 x 6-10
Incline bench press 6 x 6-10
Cable crossovers 6 x 10-12
Dips (body weight) 5 x failure
Dumbell pullovers 5 x 10-12.

Back:
Wide-grip chins (to front) 6 x failure
T-bar rows 5 x 6-10
Seated pulley rows 6 x 6-10
One-arm dumbell rows 5 x 6-10
Straight-leg deadlifts 6 x 15

Legs:
Squats 6 x 8-12
Leg press 6 x 8-12
Leg extensions 6 x 12-15
Leg curls 6 x 10-12
Barbell lunges 5 x 15

Calves:
Standing calf raises 10 x 10
Seated calf raises 8 x 15
Oneplegged calf raises (holding dumbells) 6x12

Forearms:
Wrist curls (forearms on knees) - 4 sets, 10 reps
Reverse barbell curls - 4 sets, 8 reps
Wright roller machine - to failure

Abs:
hour of a variety of nonspecific abdominal exercises, done virtually nonstop.

Tues, Thurs, Sat

Biceps:
Barbell curls 6 x 6-10
Seated dumbell curls 6 x 6-10
Dumbell concentration curls 6 x 6-10

Triceps:
Close-grip bench presses 6 x 6-10
Pushdowns 6 x 6-10
French press (barbell) 6 x 6-10
One-arm triceps extensions (dumbell) 6 x 6-10

Shoulders:
Seated barbell presses 6 x 6-10
Lateral raises (standing) 6 x 6-10
Rear-delt lateral raises 5 x 6-10
Cable lateral raises 5 x 10-12

Calves , Forearms & Abs:
Same as Monday, Wednesday, Friday workout

This is no "new" workout, its one of arnolds old workouts, can i maintain my weight loss goals, with this intense of a workout, by keeping my cals as low same with carbs ( low carbs works for me ) and high protien? Should i be able to continue to loose fat and build muscle at this phase? Or should i really just focus on high reps at sets of 4? Am i overworking my self? I have never had a real "hero" or "insperation" but my goal is to try to look like arnold did NO MATTER HOW LONG OR HOW HARD. If the army has taught me anything, nothing worth having comes easy. I will post in 2 threads, this one and the workout thread. Im just confused as to where it should lay its head. Thanks

again will this give me the cut/built physice or just a straight big and bulky? I only appriciate brutal honesty.

Murph

typh
08-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Post your diet.

First thoughts coming to mind is you need to eat more, calculate out your maintenance weight, 2500 is to low - while you maybe able to maintain deficit for a bit and a low carb diet your body is going to crash at some point from the hell you're putting it through with no recovery. To build muscle, you need raw materials (aka food). Continue to eat healthy high protein meals but get some good carbs and fats in there as well.

JamesLikesDL
08-11-2010, 07:44 AM
I would honestly choose a different work out. Doing that much volume 6x a week will not allow enough time for your body to recover unless your a freak of nature, and recovery is just as important as the hard work you put in at the gym. I would always be very cautious when trying to mimic a pro's routine. You need to remember that they are not "normal" people and most are on gear.

BigMurph11B
08-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah i realized i gotta tone that workout down, with my tempo here in iraq i dont always get the chance to do it 6 times a week. I should be able to cut it to 4 times, but keeping the same workout just doing the back/chest/legs 1 day rest, and arms and calvs, rest.

my recovery has been a very big suprise to me, im no freak of nature but it comes fast now. I can destroy my chest and be good to go in 2 days.

Diet (iraq)

Breakfast - 2 slices of turkey bacon 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 pieces of whole grain bread with peanut butter

snack- protien shake ( again chow hall is not open but breakfast/lunch/dinner and we can not take to go plates)

lunch- 2 chicken breasts, 1 cup brown rice, steamed vegies, as much broccoli as i can eat

snack 2- protien with pre workout supps

post workout- 1 scoop whey 1/2 scoop casin,

30min later- 2 chicken breasts ( or fish ) steamed vegies, brocoli, maybe a salad

pre bed- 1 scoop casin

Its not the best, but its the best i can do for now. sometimes i dont even get a chance to eat breakfast. But i gotta make due with what i got.

BeerMakesMuscle
08-11-2010, 09:41 AM
r u sayinf ur doing that chest back n leg routine every mon wed fri? or thats at least the plan? holy sets man... fix plz