PDA

View Full Version : How much should i eat When i cant work out?

cook5721
08-09-2010, 06:46 AM
I just had arthroscopic surgery yesterday and the doctor told me its about a month before i can lift weights again. How much should i eat to maintain my muscle but not add extra fat? I'm 22 5' 11" 170lbs about 7% BF i've worked hard to get this muscle and get this lean and i don't want to lose it all because i can't work out for a month possibly longer. any suggestions would be awesome

Saintly
08-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Sorry to hear that.

I would try to get at least 1 g/lb of bodyweight in protein and eat at the maintenance level calorie intake. Do you know your maintenance level calorie intake?

healthydan
08-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Eat as much as your body burns in a day. Increase your protein with nuts, tuna, peanut butter and don't eat any fatty foods.

cook5721
08-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Sorry to hear that.

I would try to get at least 1 g/lb of bodyweight in protein and eat at the maintenance level calorie intake. Do you know your maintenance level calorie intake?

ive been getting the protein i need im just not sure about the maintenace level intake and what it should be at and should i down my carbs since my physical activity level is alot lower

stryk3r
08-09-2010, 12:22 PM
ive been getting the protein i need im just not sure about the maintenance level intake and what it should be at and should i down my carbs since my physical activity level is alot lower

Source of Calories shouldn't be a factor, just make sure you are getting you 1 gr/lb of lean mass of Protein and eat a clean balanced diet of carbs and fats as well. Since you will be expending less calories try to find your maintenance cals using a calculator online and that should minimize your muscle loss. Then get back to lifting heavy as soon as your doctor says it's ok.

Hope you get better soon.

typh
08-09-2010, 12:27 PM
ive been getting the protein i need im just not sure about the maintenace level intake and what it should be at and should i down my carbs since my physical activity level is alot lower

My .02...

Keep your protein high, but watch the carbs and fat intake. If you typically consume 3000 cals a day and you burn 500 in your workout making your daily intake around 2500. Then with no workout I'd consume somewhere around 2500. You aren't ramping your glycogen stores pre and post workouts so you don't need that extra carb intake. You'll be fine.

I would however focus on recovery, enjoy yourself and relax. The little bit of fat you gain for the 30 days you are off will melt away in a week. Thats whats so great about being in shape mang ;).

PushUp08
08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
30 days isn't so bad, you can easily recover from that. Like everyone has said, I would keep the protein high and the fat relatively low. You might lose a little muscle mass but will easily rebound.

I had wrist surgery and essentially couldn't lift upper body for around 3 months. I lost prob 10 lbs but gained it back after 1 month of lifting