12andfullyaware
08-08-2010, 02:31 PM
didnotreadlol.gif

ummmmm0k
08-08-2010, 02:32 PM
thats the south for ya.

ZachSmash
08-08-2010, 02:33 PM
christianity is still ruining everything.

nuttybl
08-08-2010, 02:33 PM
bible belt idiots

/thread
I heard that 2/3 of religious americans when presented with a scientific fact that would contravene their religious views would ignore wht the scientific community believes to be true in favour of their highly qualified priest.

jcb1986
08-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Strong uncertainty in Bulgaria

Turbomunkey
08-08-2010, 02:35 PM
very cool post

BlazerINtheWork
08-08-2010, 02:36 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__jFgOqdirRY/R-fe-FaPLdI/AAAAAAAAA-U/sC-b1jjUl5k/s400/6445032~Embarrassed-Chimpanzee-Posters.jpg

SteelRain22
08-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Yo we stylin on turkey

frasersteen
America is the most forward thinking nation in the western world and the most backwards thinking one all at the same time.

TurkBrah
feelsbadman.

nuttybl
08-08-2010, 02:38 PM
btw misc, i highly recommend:
w1m4mATYoig

that's where i got the image from

Pauly-Walnuts
08-08-2010, 02:39 PM
bible belt idiots

/thread

Dude called it!

scotyg
08-08-2010, 02:41 PM
right after Europe explains the Crusades

jro9999
the southern part of united states has always sorta been one step behind everyone else

treefidddy2
L640vc_XBjk

"How can like an african american evolve from a white person? We're different skinned."

Dodoz
If you care to check for a poll with the question about atheism (yes atheist/not sure/not atheist, reliphag) it would have similar proportions for those countries srs

NJMscle
08-08-2010, 02:43 PM
It completely depends where you live. We barley have churches in my area. There's like one and than a synagogue for a town of 20,000 people. Religion is not a big deal where I live. It's more private than it is a social event. If you don't go to church no one will care.

Down south it's a complete 180. It seems like there's a church on every corner and religion is much more likely to play a part in daily life.

Brodon
08-08-2010, 02:44 PM
C125ZmVOvEA

vandalvideo
If anything, next to Bulgaria the United States is one of the more healthy countries on that list. The relatively large portion of "not sures" speaks to the high degree of education people receive in this country and their willingness to reserve judgment while waiting for more conclusive proofs. If anything, those countries with an even higher "truth" rating are even more questionable due to their intellectual hubris when it comes to science. Still, Bulgaria ftw.

nuttybl
If you care to check for a poll with the question about atheism (yes atheist/not sure/not atheist, reliphag) it would have similar proportions for those countries srs
yes, if you watch the lecture you will see this shown graphically. very interesting stuff

nuttybl
08-08-2010, 02:45 PM
If anything, next to Bulgaria the United States is one of the more healthy countries on that list. The relatively large portion of "not sures" speaks to the high degree of education people receive in this country and their willingness to reserve judgment while waiting for more conclusive proofs. If anything, those countries with an even higher "truth" rating are even more questionable due to their intellectual hubris when it comes to science. Still, Bulgaria ftw.
you are an idiot

ARNOLD_Layne
08-08-2010, 02:46 PM
"Miller et al., Science 2006" = the Devil

OnTheLake65
08-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Stereotyping is pro. I live in Tennessee, and I don't fit into that description.

Galvatorex
08-08-2010, 02:47 PM
L640vc_XBjk

"How can like an african american evolve from a white person? We're different skinned."

those people are fcking retarded, im a christian tho. I believe in micro evolution, not macro. Not saying its not true, just hasnt been fully proven. To many falsified fossals ect.....

treefidddy2
Stereotyping is pro. I live in Tennessee, and I don't fit into that description.

Strong knowledge of the concept of "STATISTICS"

vandalvideo
you are an idiot

If to be an idiot is to reserve judgment due to the inconclusive and evolutionary nature of scientific evidence then colour me Pyrrho. I respect people who are more willing to withhold judgment because they recognize that science is just a bunch of data points based on an evolving metric due to constantly changing tech which could give us dramatically different results only months later. I don't have the hubris to think I have all the answers.

basketballer756
08-08-2010, 02:48 PM
As you can clearly see in the graph evolution is just a theory and not a proven fact. OJ may have done it but black people dont believe it. Get the metaphor?

Shangius
08-08-2010, 02:49 PM
bible belt idiots

/thread

This. Biggest bunch of ignorant fuktards are pretty much centered in that area.

Feels good living in a non-religious state.

pondus_levo
08-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Um, most people believe in evolution. Is that study actually talking about creationism? Only 10% of the world actually believe that God did not create everything we know in one way or another. The rest think it was 100% God and/or God+evolution.

nuttybl
08-08-2010, 02:50 PM
As you can clearly see in the graph evolution is just a theory and not a proven fact. OJ may have done it but black people dont believe it. Get the metaphor?
idiot too

OnTheLake65
08-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Strong knowledge of the concept of "STATISTICS"

I was obviously refering to the people who were blaming the statistics on the south.....

WileyOne
08-08-2010, 02:53 PM
those people are fcking retarded, im a christian tho. I believe in micro evolution, not macro. Not saying its not true, just hasnt been fully proven. To many falsified fossals ect.....

LOL, dumbass.

treefidddy2
08-08-2010, 02:55 PM

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af195/BBrulz82/reactions/tomcruiselaugh.gif

Ebola_Virus
08-08-2010, 02:56 PM
To think that religion and evolution are mutually incompatible is ignorant to say the least. To blindly accept the theory of evolution because you haven't been presented with any other plausible idea is hypocrisy, for that is the same act that you charge religious people of doing, blindly accepting anything written in a book.

I'm a Christian, by the way.

huu
08-08-2010, 02:57 PM
It completely depends where you live. We barley have churches in my area. There's like one and than a synagogue for a town of 20,000 people. Religion is not a big deal where I live. It's more private than it is a social event. If you don't go to church no one will care.

Down south it's a complete 180. It seems like there's a church on every corner and religion is much more likely to play a part in daily life.

This this this this this this

Where I live now theres churches everywhere, I pass one huge church right next to might house every day, and going out I can pass multiple smaller ones.

embers_fire
08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
To think that religion and evolution are mutually incompatible is ignorant to say the least. To blindly accept the theory of evolution because you haven't been presented with any other plausible idea is hypocrisy, for that is the same act that you charge religious people of doing, blindly accepting anything written in a book.

Yo mad brah ?

deaderinred
08-08-2010, 03:01 PM
To think that religion and evolution are mutually incompatible is ignorant to say the least. To blindly accept the theory of evolution because you haven't been presented with any other plausible idea

How about because it MAKES FUKCIN SENSE. Phaggot.

WileyOne
08-08-2010, 03:03 PM

That was made clear by your retarded sentences before it.

Xantium
08-08-2010, 03:03 PM
didnotreadlol.gif

NEGGD THAT PHAGGOT!
srs

superdunkaroos
08-08-2010, 03:05 PM

This this this this this this

Where I live now theres churches everywhere, I pass one huge church right next to might house every day, and going out I can pass multiple smaller ones.

If you would go actually read all the documented evidence and facts you would understand why

and that is the beauty of science: it is open to criticism and changes, nothing is absolute truth ever.

SlimmJimm
08-08-2010, 03:05 PM

You believe in micro and not macro? What is micro-evolution over millions of years? MACRO EVOLUTION. How does micro-evolution exists and not become macro-evolution? Does it just stop at some point? lolz ye rite

USAviator
08-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Some people still don't comprehend science, it's just an issue. The evidence is there, Creationists just turn their back to it.

Atheist BTW

Infinit350
08-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Religion is ridiculous here in South Texas. I can drive 5 miles to Wal-Mart and pass 2 large churches, there's probably like 30 in my city alone.

threadmill
08-08-2010, 03:11 PM
aww **** looks like USA beat us

Two_Tens
08-08-2010, 03:13 PM
They only polled 1484 people, it seems, which greatly skews the results.

southernstunna1
08-08-2010, 03:15 PM
This. I live in Texas and attended college in Mississippi, I don't know anyone who thinks that.

Sterotypes are worthless and (while funny) almost always untrue.

_Watson_
08-08-2010, 03:18 PM

ha ha oh wow

YesMaybeNo
08-08-2010, 03:23 PM

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz249/zibzib200/HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

operationwhey
08-08-2010, 03:24 PM

lol strong retard. blindly accept evolution? we accept because theres evidence and IT MAKES SENSE.

You're blindly accepting christianity from a book you retard so stfu phaggot n gtfo

kel_varnsen
08-08-2010, 03:25 PM
To think that religion and evolution are mutually incompatible is ignorant to say the least. To blindly accept the theory of evolution because you haven't been presented with any other plausible idea is hypocrisy,

give me another "plausible idea" then?

basketballer756
08-08-2010, 03:26 PM
lol strong retard. blindly accept evolution? we accept because theres evidence and IT MAKES SENSE.

You're blindly accepting christianity from a book you retard so stfu phaggot n gtfo

what evidence? it makes sense? thats your argument? i dont care what people believe either way but your argument for evolution is because it makes sense?

_Watson_
08-08-2010, 03:29 PM
what evidence? it makes sense? thats your argument? i dont care what people believe either way but your argument for evolution is because it makes sense?

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz249/zibzib200/HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

For your sake I hope you're trolling

AZthetics
08-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Phaggots still believe in creationism.

AZthetics
08-08-2010, 03:32 PM
This. I live in Texas and attended college in Mississippi, I don't know anyone who thinks that.

Stereotypes wouldn't exist unless there was a large number of individuals that fit the description. It doesn't have to be the majority, just a substantial enough number to be recognized.

Lunatic
08-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Moving to R/P section

Dan916
08-08-2010, 03:34 PM
ITT atheists think we cam from tadpoles

pg2tall
08-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Does it matter?

We are obviously more SUPERIOR than the world itself.

fevr
08-08-2010, 03:35 PM
“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.”

Benchencurlen
08-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Missing from that list: the entire middle east

leafs43
08-08-2010, 03:56 PM
There is also a large portions of the population outside of the bible belt that believe it.

Blacks and mexicans happen to be some of the biggest church goers in the US. It wouldn't surprise me if they were predominantly creationists either.

Paradosis
08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I heard that 2/3 of religious americans when presented with a scientific fact that would contravene their religious views would ignore wht the scientific community believes to be true in favour of their highly qualified priest.

"When asked what they would do if scientists were to disprove a particular religious belief, nearly two-thirds (64%) of people say they would continue to hold to what their religion teaches rather than accept the contrary scientific finding, according to the results of an October 2006 Time magazine poll." - Source (http://pewresearch.org/pubs/578/when-science-and-faith-compete-faith-usually-wins)

vandalvideo
08-08-2010, 04:26 PM
"When asked what they would do if scientists were to disprove a particular religious belief, nearly two-thirds (64%) of people say they would continue to hold to what their religion teaches rather than accept the contrary scientific finding, according to the results of an October 2006 Time magazine poll."

I question what it means to 'disprove' a religious belief with science, given that even the most basic of scientific principles are subject to potential paradigm shifts at some point or another. There is even recent scientific research which could destroy the notion that the Earth is round/spherical. It seems to me an odd and entirely hypothetical question to ask if I would still hold a belief if science "disproved it". I mean, can Science even do that to begin with?

bird72
08-08-2010, 04:34 PM
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9336/screenshot20100808at103.png

http://northwestern.news21.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/chart-1.png

If we decide this through most, as you suggest, we win .....:p

Paradosis
08-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I question what it means to 'disprove' a religious belief with science, given that even the most basic of scientific principles are subject to potential paradigm shifts at some point or another. There is even recent scientific research which could destroy the notion that the Earth is round/spherical. It seems to me an odd and entirely hypothetical question to ask if I would still hold a belief if science "disproved it". I mean, can Science even do that to begin with?

Consider demon possession. Has science absolutely proven that demons don't exist? No. However, because of medicine, psychology, etc. most people now realise that things like mental illness are not caused by demons. Yet many religionists ignore the evidence and still think that there are demons that need to be exorcized. So, rather than getting these people the help that they really need, people think they just need to pray harder and have "faith healers" or priests say the right magical words over the person.

GeorgeCarlinJr
08-08-2010, 04:47 PM
America, I is sad :(

Ebola_Virus
08-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Firstly, I believe in evolution, it would be unwise not to given the evidence out there for it. So please stop with the negs. However, I also believe it unwise to take it as the infallible truth, and not to consider it as what it is, a theory. My car's window was broken last night, I found a rock sitting in the scattered glass on the ground. It makes sense that someone threw the rock at my car window, and it broke. However, what actually happened was that the rock was sitting there the entire time, and someone came by with a hammer and smashed my driver side windshield. However, it's completely impossible to know the absolute truth, as there are no witnesses. Do you see what I'm getting at here? I used a simple example in the hopes that you'd be able to comprehend it.

Vagitarian
08-08-2010, 05:13 PM

Lolwut?

Stereotypes are stereotypes because there is truth to them.

Firstly, I believe in evolution, it would be unwise not to given the evidence out there for it. So please stop with the negs. However, I also believe it unwise to take it as the infallible truth, and not to consider it as what it is, a theory. My car's window was broken last night, I found a rock sitting in the scattered glass on the ground. It makes sense that someone threw the rock at my car window, and it broke. However, what actually happened was that the rock was sitting there the entire time, and someone came by with a hammer and smashed my driver side windshield. However, it's completely impossible to know the absolute truth, as there are no witnesses. Do you see what I'm getting at here? I used a simple example in the hopes that you'd be able to comprehend it.

Gravity is just a theory. :rolleyes:

Typical religitard.

vandalvideo
08-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Consider demon possession. Has science absolutely proven that demons don't exist? No. However, because of medicine, psychology, etc. most people now realise that things like mental illness are not caused by demons. Yet many religionists ignore the evidence and still think that there are demons that need to be exorcized. So, rather than getting these people the help that they really need, people think they just need to pray harder and have "faith healers" or priests say the right magical words over the person.

The mere fact that other things can cure something does not preclude the existence of demons which could be causing it. For all we know, demons really hate Clozapine and old guys with beards and glasses.

compan
08-08-2010, 05:20 PM

people here also watch shows like The View and think Joy Behar has a valid political opinion. People are inherently stupid, and as we are getting smarter as a whole, society seems to be dumbing down on common sense.

Dave22reborn
08-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Missing from that list: the entire middle east

The entire middle east except for Israel. :)

OutdoorX
08-08-2010, 06:21 PM
It's very hard to believe the numbers are that low.

Ebola_Virus
08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Lolwut?

Stereotypes are stereotypes because there is truth to them.

Gravity is just a theory. :rolleyes:

Typical religitard.

Did you not read my post? I just told you I accept evolution as a theory.

And you're right, gravity is just a theory. All we know is that it happens, not why it happens.

correlation != causation

Edit: Go Aggies!

Inev
08-08-2010, 06:29 PM

there is no difference between macro and micro.

It is like saying rain can cause mud puddles but not lakes.

IMO you are just as bad as the kids in that class room. You have denied an overwhelming amount of evidence and information in order to protect your personal beliefs. And you claim that your beliefs are justified because evolution is not 'proven'. You are no different from them, you are exactly the same.

To some extent i suppose we are all the same as the kids in that classroom. Ironically it is our allegiance to ideas that prevents us from adopting better ones. And those with the least amount of attachment to their ideas will have the most accurate outlook on life. Supporting truth is not the same as supporting your beliefs.

phalipi
08-08-2010, 08:55 PM
there is no difference between macro and micro.

It is like saying rain can cause mud puddles but not lakes.

IMO you are just as bad as the kids in that class room. You have denied an overwhelming amount of evidence and information in order to protect your personal beliefs. And you claim that your beliefs are justified because evolution is not 'proven'. You are no different from them, you are exactly the same.

To some extent i suppose we are all the same as the kids in that classroom. Ironically it is our allegiance to ideas that prevents us from adopting better ones. And those with the least amount of attachment to their ideas will have the most accurate outlook on life. Supporting truth is not the same as supporting your beliefs.

Depends on how you define evolution. Do you think everything is based off a single celled organism? Do you think things just eventually have to evolve to surroundings and habitat changes. Evolution is too broad to only have one true definition IMO.

GrokTheCube
08-08-2010, 09:26 PM
bible belt idiots

/thread

This.

Make those results regional instead of nationwide and you'd see very different results on the polls. Not ALL of the country is stupid and uneducated.

Inev
08-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Depends on how you define evolution. Do you think everything is based off a single celled organism? Do you think things just eventually have to evolve to surroundings and habitat changes. Evolution is too broad to only have one true definition IMO.

unless otherwise specified as a different area of evolution, my default definition of evolutions is "genetic changes to an animals DNA which propagates through a species via natural selection."

there are lots of other definitions i agree. But i think unless otherwise specified that is my default definition. and specifically when you are talking about 'micro' and 'macro' changes. people HAVE to understand this definition of evolution. Because if they do not understand this, then they will be forever trapped in sectioning off evolution into 'micro' and 'macro'

SenorSan
08-08-2010, 10:20 PM

Falsified fossals lulz.

Where do you draw the line? Lions and tigers are considered micro divergence? Wolves and foxes? Do you consider human-chimp divergence micro evolution as well? Mice-squirrels-bats? Sharks-fish? If these aren't big leaps of faith for you, it shouldn't be hard to see as you move along to more dissimilar animals, their DNA differs slightly more. That said, when a mouse shares so much in common (DNA-wise) with a sloth, you have to wonder where you draw this imaginary "micro-macro" evolutionary line.

Vagitarian
08-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Did you not read my post? I just told you I accept evolution as a theory.

And you're right, gravity is just a theory. All we know is that it happens, not why it happens.

correlation != causation

Edit: Go Aggies!

I did read your post, hence my comment.

We most certainly do know why gravity happens and how it works.

Please educate yourself by reading this:
http://www.notjustatheory.com/

southeastoz
08-09-2010, 01:49 AM

Here is your answer misc, see above - exhibit 1:

-Christian indoctrinated with a huge amount of dogma, carrying a huge bias.
-Lacks ability to even spell "fossil" or to structure a complete sentence (please don't throw out your punctuation or spelling errors in excuse, not talking about that - though if you thought of that it's further ownage).
-Believes he knows better than the worlds top biologists and evolutionists - I'm sure you're incredibly well versed on this subject to reach this conclusion however.
-LOL at micro and macro evolution - you do know those terms aren't even used in the scientific community? That's like saying "I believe that someone could walk to another suburb or city if they had long enough, I just could never believe someone could walk to another state. No matter how many steps they take."

Weightaholic
08-09-2010, 02:46 AM
I believe in micro evolution, not macro.

They're the same thing.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/crapola/yarly.jpg

drpurple
08-09-2010, 03:34 AM
this thread depresses me.

B.O.L.A.
08-09-2010, 03:34 AM
Diversity. Divide it up by state and I bet a bunch are at the top of the list.