PDA

View Full Version : More calories = More muscle?

m.djemal
08-06-2010, 03:25 AM
I dont understand the whole theory. I dont count my cals I just try and eat a clean, high protein, moderate carb, low fat diet but I see alot of people talking about macros and cals and how consuming more would equal more mass? So how does it work? Any help will be repped thank you.

ian0789
08-06-2010, 03:39 AM
People who are trying to bulk or cut set up Macro's. Its tracking your Cal, Protein, Carb, Fats intake.

When you are trying to hit a goal amount of what you need to eat a day this helps. Also to gain mass you need to eat more calories so you can grow. If you eat 2000 Cals a day and thats all your body needs to stay normal / healthy then you will most likely never really seen any gains or "Musscle Mass" or if you do it wont be as soon as most people would want when hitting the Gym.

So I guess in short yes you will gain more if you eat more Cals if that is what your looking to do =)

JM3K
08-06-2010, 04:04 AM
well to a point, in my opinion you will gain the same amount of muscle eating with a 500 cal surplus opposed to a 1000 cal surplus. when natural eating more doesnt = more muscle, just fat and thats why alot of people end up fat when bulking. good article here http://www.tmuscle.com/article/bodybuilding/the_truth_about_bulking

MikeD4386
08-06-2010, 05:11 AM
overeating=overrated

Flex500
08-06-2010, 05:25 AM
well to a point, in my opinion you will gain the same amount of muscle eating with a 500 cal surplus opposed to a 1000 cal surplus. when natural eating more doesnt = more muscle, just fat and thats why alot of people end up fat when bulking. good article here http://www.tmuscle.com/article/bodybuilding/the_truth_about_bulking
EXACTLY....

muscle dosn't grow in a linear equation in relation to the amount of calories eaten. Eating 3000 calories over will not neccesarily give you more muscle than eating 700 calories over maintanence.

OP...

Not sure what you are asking though? Just because more calories doesn't directly relate to more muscle that doesn't mean you should or shouldn't count macros. People count their macros to make sure they are eating optimally to create the best environment for potential muscle gain.

Kel1991
08-06-2010, 05:43 AM
I'm bulking too but i'm just skimming around above maintenance because i don't want to get fat and it's kinda hard for me to lose fat.

JustinStacks
08-06-2010, 07:04 AM
I dont understand the whole theory. I dont count my cals I just try and eat a clean, high protein, moderate carb, low fat diet but I see alot of people talking about macros and cals and how consuming more would equal more mass? So how does it work? Any help will be repped thank you.

Sounds like you have a balanced diet, which is great and means you don't necessarily have to count every calorie you consume. However, a lot of people think they can just eat anything they want in order to bulk up.

The problem therein lies that carbs and fat contain a lot of calories. You're only going to burn X amount of calories p/ day, and if you're consuming an amount grossly over the amount of calories you burn, obviously this will turn to fat, not muscle.

By only taking in X amount of calories over your maintenance (let's say 500), which are calories from protein, which is not easily converted to fat as say carbs or fat, you are able to gain lean muscle mass (assuming you are working out) as opposed to fat. This is because muscle takes awhile to develop, so there is no use jacking up your calorie intake by 1000 when you only develop muscle at a certain rate and probably only need like 500 extra cals per day.

This is what I understand of it anyways.

2010tom2010
08-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Basically everyone has a level of maintenance in which you neither gain or lose weight. However if you want to bulk and grow muscle you need to eat above your maintenance.

E.g Maintenance = 2000
Bulking Calories = 2500 (To gain muscle mass)

About 500 cals above maintenance should be enough. There's no point in overdoing the calories as you will just gain excess fat with the muscle. You can only put on a certain amount of muscle mass each week therefore, 500 cals above maintenance should do the trick. Just monitor your weight on an ongoing basis and adjust accordingly if your not gaining!