PDA

View Full Version : I'm so sick of the ESPN, SI columnist hating on A-Rod

Three6Mafia
08-05-2010, 08:28 AM
All they talk about is how him hitting 600 homeruns is tainted. It is not tainted at all. They try to compare his playing ability to Willie Mays. Willie Mays played in the 70's when the hardest throwing pitchers threw between 88-91. I saw 95 mph when I was in college and it is completely different than seeing 88-91 in high school.

They dont understand that PED's just make you stronger. Yes you can hit the ball further, but you have to use everything you can to touch these pitchers these days.

If Willie Mays was playing in our era, he would most certainly be taking PED's along with every other player in the MLB. I dont care what anyone says, PED's do not help you make contact with the baseball, and that is the most important part about being a hitter.

Instead of tarnishing A-Rod's hard work for hitting 600 homeruns, congratulate him on his milestone because he did what only 7 other players have done.

I took PED's in college and dont get me wrong, they do help you hit the ball further, but making contact is still another story.

/rant

DatMilkman
08-05-2010, 08:29 AM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/aug10/arod_lie.jpg

Iczer
08-05-2010, 08:33 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/a_fraud_asterisk_approved_poster-p228479959127070993tdcz_210.jpg

You're a phaggot too

yott
08-05-2010, 08:42 AM
gtfo

97srad750
08-05-2010, 08:51 AM
When your argument is based on ifs you have no argument

Three6Mafia
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Coming from all the phaggots that have never played the game. There were over 100 names on the list of players that used PED's but how many of them in the report have over 600 HR's? Blow me

DatMilkman
08-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I took PED's in college and dont get me wrong, they do help you hit the ball further, but making contact is still another story.

You sound absurd right now. Stop before you embarass yourself further, son.

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/fail/6/RonaldMcGTFO.jpg

NYY
08-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I can understand how people feel about the whole thing, but the way it's getting downplayed is a bit over the top. Still, he is one of 7 players ever to accomplish something of this caliber. They're have been plenty of players that took PEDs who couldn't even hit 600.

TriangleX
08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Steroids= strength
Homeruns= strength
Steroids= Home runs
Arod= Fail

His numbers are down this year. Bonds should be feelin good about his record.

tmc.
08-05-2010, 09:32 AM
agreed, the sportswriters who still harp on about this crap are the same guys who wished baseball was still whites-only

Iczer
08-05-2010, 09:40 AM
agreed, the sportswriters who still harp on about this crap are the same guys who wished baseball was still whites-only

oh god....

MA5Bergey
08-05-2010, 09:49 AM
The way I see it, there are so many people who get to that level that use PEDs or have used at one point in their career, that it is impossible to be fair when they are discriminating against PED users. Because even though only a few big names have been highlighted, I certainly would not be surprised if over half of the league has used. And if you're going to bash one player because he used but then put another player into the hall who hasn't been proven to use, you have to do it in good faith, which there is little of in baseball these days.

Steroids= strength
Homeruns= strength
Steroids= Home runs
Arod= Fail

^^ Someone who obviously had never played baseball and quite possibly has no higher than a rudimentary knowledge of the game. Hitting home runs has almost nothing to do with physical strength. There are two key factors involved in hitting home runs: bat speed, and bat location. Willie Mays weighed 170 lbs, and hit 660 home runs.

Strength is a factor. But it is nowhere near defining for a home run hitter.

By the way, yes A-Rod is having an off year. But last year, without steroids, he hit .286 with 30 HRs and 100 RBIs and played only 124 games after missing all of April and much of May with a leg injury. Not too shabby for someone who relies on steroids, huh?

Three6Mafia
08-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Steroids= strength
Homeruns= strength
Steroids= Home runs
Arod= Fail

Hand-to-eye coordination and contact are the biggest concerns in hitting a baseball. Strength is just an added bonus. Of the thousands of players to play the game, A-Rod is one of 7 players to ever hit 600 hr's. That means of the 7, they all had the best hand-to-eye coordination, contact, and swing to accomplish this task.

TriangleX
08-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Hand-to-eye coordination and contact are the biggest concerns in hitting a baseball. Strength is just an added bonus. Of the thousands of players to play the game, A-Rod is one of 7 players to ever hit 600 hr's. That means of the 7, they all had the best hand-to-eye coordination, contact, and swing to accomplish this task.

What? A-rod has a career BA around .300. He is a good hitter with exceptional power. Ichiro is great at putting bat to ball but has never hit over 20 homeruns in a season. It must have felt good before you hit submit thinking you had a valid point.

Three6Mafia
08-05-2010, 09:59 AM
What? A-rod has a career BA around .300. He is a good hitter with exceptional power. Ichiro is great at putting bat to ball but has never hit over 20 homeruns in a season. It must have felt good before you hit submit thinking you had a valid point.

You missed one of my key points of my post. I said swing plays a big factor in it as well. Look at Ichiro's swing and then compare it to A-Rods. Ichiro does a little run swing because he is a contact hitter that puts the ball in play and beats out throws. Ichiro is one of the greatest contact hitters to play the game. A-Rod is a power hitter with a power swing. His contact and hand-to-eye coordination is more superb than many other power hitters. Look at Vlad's swing. He takes the biggest hacks in the Majors but he hasn't reached 600 homeruns and he is a dinosaur(he is having a phenomenal year though).

A-Rod is an all around power hitter with a great swing and great hand-to-eye coordination. You cannot compare A-Rod to Ichiro, that is the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.

TriangleX
08-05-2010, 10:02 AM
You missed one of my key points of my post. I said swing plays a big factor in it as well. Look at Ichiro's swing and then compare it to A-Rods. Ichiro does a little run swing because he is a contact hitter that puts the ball in play and beats out throws. Ichiro is one of the greatest contact hitters to play the game. A-Rod is a power hitter with a power swing. His contact and hand-to-eye coordination is more superb than many other power hitters. Look at Vlad's swing. He takes the biggest hacks in the Majors but he hasn't reached 600 homeruns and he is a dinosaur(he is having a phenomenal year though).

A-Rod is an all around power hitter with a great swing and great hand-to-eye coordination. You cannot compare A-Rod to Ichiro, that is the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.

See McGwire, Mark. Power/strength plays a big part. He couldn't hit consistently well to save his life. If he made decent contact the ball would go yards.

Three6Mafia
08-05-2010, 10:16 AM
See McGwire, Mark. Power/strength plays a big part. He couldn't hit consistently well to save his life. If he made decent contact the ball would go yards.

I'm really glad you brought up Mark Mcgwire. He retired at the age of 38 with 583 homeruns.

Alex Rodriguez at the age of 35 has 600 career homeruns. 17 more homeruns while 3 years younger, so he must be making better contact than McGwire in their prime

TriangleX
08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm really glad you brought up Mark Mcgwire. He retired at the age of 38 with 583 homeruns.

Alex Rodriguez at the age of 35 has 600 career homeruns. 17 more homeruns while 3 years younger, so he must be making better contact than McGwire in their prime

Do you have a point you are trying to make? You said strength is an added bonus, which is really what separates contact contact hitters from power hitters. Now you are just reaching for any strawman argument you can get. McGwire hit all of those homeruns with a .263 AVG.

yankeefan240578
08-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Nobody thinks A-Rod is a bad baseball player. He obviously has tremendous eye-hand coordination and can hit a baseball. The point is that if he hadn't taken steroids, many of his borderline homeruns would have been doubles etc. Maybe a hit that he had where he just BARELY missed the ball but had enough poewr to eek it over the fence would become a deep fly out. Steroids do effect those things. A-Rod still has power and is still a crazy good baseball player. You're right. Strength is just an "added bonus" with the key word here being "bonus." The tiny little bit he gains from PEDs can help him hit a few more homeruns here and there.

ESPforMe
08-05-2010, 10:40 AM
It's aggravating to me that these writers talk as though PED use started in the 90's. Many(maybe even most) of these "clean" hero's used something too

50scent
08-05-2010, 10:42 AM
What about the guys in the 70's who were loaded on coke all game? personally i think PED's are much safer.

Fuegoman
08-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Steroids obviously help hit home runs... It doesn't help you make contact, but Bonds and A-Rod are already great at making contact with the ball.. However it helps you hit the ball further when you make contact, those their inflated home run numbers. Look at Brady Anderson's numbers before and after juicing.. 12 home runs in 1994, 16 home runs in 1995, 50 home runs in 1996. I don't think you can say that steroids wasn't the biggest factor in his spike in home runs.

Also OP, Nolan Ryan pitched in the 70's.. How many starting pitchers currently in the MLB have a fastball velocity that matches Ryans? Pretty sure his fastball velocity was a bit above 88-91

Three6Mafia
08-05-2010, 10:53 AM
All I'm saying is that in the past decade, the players will not ever reach hall of fame numbers without the assistance of PED's.

This year is a prime example because of the record abount of no hitters and perfect games.

Three6Mafia
08-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Also, steroids werent even considered a banned substance in the MLB until 2002

Stoicao
08-05-2010, 10:59 AM
gtfo op...a-rod deserves all the hate he gets. You gotta be ****ing kidding me the way you throw around Willie Mays like he was just good because of his era. And no, he wouldn't have used if he was a player today.

Dan916
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
He cheated

OP ur retarded

yankeefan240578
08-05-2010, 11:01 AM
All I'm saying is that in the past decade, the players will not ever reach hall of fame numbers without the assistance of PED's.

This year is a prime example because of the record abount of no hitters and perfect games.

wut?

Three6Mafia
08-05-2010, 11:01 AM
gtfo op...a-rod deserves all the hate he gets. You gotta be ****ing kidding me the way you throw around Willie Mays like he was just good because of his era. And no, he wouldn't have used if he was a player today.

You honest to god think Willie Mays would be the caliber of player today that he was back in the 70's?

Do you think Babe Ruths fatass would be the player he was too?

ezra76
08-05-2010, 11:57 AM
All the records are tainted.... because obviously steriods were invented in 1995.

If we are going to speculate, who says Ricky Henderson's quads or Nolan Ryan's 100mph. fastball till he was like 42 weren't a product of PED's? Were they ever tested?

Plus, the pitchers were all doing them too, more so than the hitters, so that sort of levels the playing field IMO.

JustAnotherUser
08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
All they talk about is how him hitting 600 homeruns is tainted. It is not tainted at all. They try to compare his playing ability to Willie Mays. Willie Mays played in the 70's when the hardest throwing pitchers threw between 88-91. I saw 95 mph when I was in college and it is completely different than seeing 88-91 in high school.

They dont understand that PED's just make you stronger. Yes you can hit the ball further, but you have to use everything you can to touch these pitchers these days.

If Willie Mays was playing in our era, he would most certainly be taking PED's along with every other player in the MLB. I dont care what anyone says, PED's do not help you make contact with the baseball, and that is the most important part about being a hitter.

Instead of tarnishing A-Rod's hard work for hitting 600 homeruns, congratulate him on his milestone because he did what only 7 other players have done.

/rant

Willie Mays also lost 2.5 years due to military service and hit at Candlestick, a horrible hitters park. Oh, and lol@"I took PED's in college and dont get me wrong, they do help you hit the ball further, but making contact is still another story."

See, A-Rod broke a homerun record. A homerun involves hitting the ball out of the park. See, that means that you have to hit the far. Now do we see how PED's could possibly influence the homerun record.

Oh, and your logic is retardly flawed.

PED's don't help in hitting the ball
Willie Mays would've needed them in order to catch up to modern pitching
But PED's don't help with contact, only power
How would they have helped Willie Mays hit modern pitching?

ezra76
08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
BTW what's with this talk of Willie Mays in the "70's"? He hit .246 and had 68 homers in 6yrs..

Red400
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
I couldn't agree with you more about steroids not helping you to make contact. Hitting a 90+ MPH fast ball may be the toughest thing to do of any sport. The fact is that he did have some help with the home run number due to the juice. Without it he may not have 600 yet, but would still be very close. I really wish a player of his caliber had stayed away from it as no matter what he does that is always going to be brought up.

lovebbing
08-05-2010, 12:11 PM

so just because one guy whos strength helped him hit home runs, suddenly means that all it takes to hit home runs is strength?

ignorant. plz go

PieceAMind
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
PED = Strength = allow you to swing a bat faster..making it easier to catch up to a ball you normally would have fouled off or missed. Not to mention Mays and them also played against pitchers who threw off a raised mound. And the fields werent 300 ft. Polo grounds I believe was 440 to center

ezra76
08-05-2010, 12:14 PM
All the steriod era guys are getting a bad break from MLB.

"Thanks for f*cking saving MLB but unfortunately, all your records are tainted"

Also, you can't convince me that PED's are the only reason for the home run derby years that saved baseball. MLB had their own hand in setting that up as well.

NDame616
08-05-2010, 12:28 PM
ARod was hated before the PED stuff.

The PED stuff didn't help, nor did his apology.

Alexandra Rodriguez's legacy was solidified when he tried slapping the ball out of Arroyo's glove during the ALCS. (in b4 pic)

When he retires, you're gonna hear all his former teammates talk about how much they always hated him.

Three6Mafia
08-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I said it helps you hit the ball further. I know I said that. I also said that it does not help with making contact.

Bat speed is another aspect of strength. Willie Mays would have needed a hell of a lot more bat speed this day and age and the only way he would have got that is with PED's.

Should we start taking Pulitzer prizes away from authors because they got their inspiration from drugs?

Should we take bands out of the rock and roll hall of fame because they did coke and did drugs?

JustAnotherUser
08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I said it helps you hit the ball further. I know I said that. I also said that it does not help with making contact.

Bat speed is another aspect of strength. Willie Mays would have needed a hell of a lot more bat speed this day and age and the only way he would have got that is with PED's.

Should we start taking Pulitzer prizes away from authors because they got their inspiration from drugs?

Should we take bands out of the rock and roll hall of fame because they did coke and did drugs?

It's not against the rules for authors and rock stars to do drugs.

Oh, and Willie Mays played with a deader ball.

Three6Mafia
08-05-2010, 01:09 PM
It's not against the rules for authors and rock stars to do drugs.

Oh, and Willie Mays played with a deader ball.

It's not against the Rules? It's against the law tho...

Iczer
08-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Alexandra Rodriguez's legacy was solidified when he tried slapping the ball out of Arroyo's glove during the ALCS. (in b4 pic)

When he retires, you're gonna hear all his former teammates talk about how much they always hated him.

http://sportshubris.com/files/arod_cheater.jpg

_NEMESIS_
08-05-2010, 02:04 PM

http://m2.wnymedia.net/files/2009/07/ortiz-ramirez.jpg

DatMilkman
08-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Everyone always forgets about this. Hell, his own teammates call him "Bitch Tits" behind his back. No wonder he's been so so many shrinks over the years.